android
Old 07-13-2008, 08:22 AM

Default Alrite, new mp3 player wanted. COWON D2 VS Samsung P2?

Hi Guys!
im looking for a new mp3 player. Looked at P2 and the higher memory versions were a bit expensive. and Cowon has a expandable memory card option. And not very sure about the audio quality. Which has better audio quality? what upgrades will i need to make it better. Please suggest
Thanks!

oops, wrong spot. Can admins please move this thread to the right spot? thank you.

Last edited by ps93; 07-13-2008 at 08:40 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The D2 is the best sounding player out. The only players that come close are the sony's, the clip/Fuze by Sandisk, or the other players by Cowon (i7, U5, F2, U3).

Old 07-13-2008, 09:24 PM

How important is bluetooth to you? how important are the extra things that P2 can do that D2 can't? I was in the same boat as you but went with the D2. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I wanted the storage capacity of the D2.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:13 AM

well i dont really NEED bluetooth that much, its just a want. But, what attracted me towards the p2 was its nice design, user interface, and the black piano finish. at the same time, i dont know how much i need the memory expansion slot. i maybe satisfied with just 4 gigs as long as i can fit 7-8 movies in 3 gb......so im sort of bit really stuck there.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:10 PM

Sounds like you are sold on the P2. For me, it came down to the storage. What is a mobile device if it can't store my cd collection.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:41 PM

Other advantages of the D2 compared to the P2:
  • Excellent battery life
  • MSC/MTP user selectable (on 2.xx)
  • Supports lots of audio codecs
  • Supports standard AVI files (DivX/XviD @320x240)
  • BBE enhancements
  • Strong amp
  • Lots of nifty themes (regular and Flash)
  • File/folder and ID3 browsing
  • Rockbox support (coming along nicely)
  • etc.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:00 PM

As far as storage space goes, you'd be surprised by how little music you regularly isten to. I have about 30 GB of music on my computer, but there's probably less than 4GB of music I regularly listen to.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Other advantages of the D2 compared to the P2:
  • Excellent battery life
  • Supports lots of audio codecs
  • Supports standard AVI files (DivX/XviD @320x240)
  • BBE enhancements
  • Strong amp
  • Lots of nifty themes (regular and Flash)
  • File/folder and ID3 browsing
  • Rockbox support (coming along nicely)
  • etc.
P2 has file/folder and ID3 as well

And to the OP, it seems like video is very important to you. While the P2's screen is bigger, the thing is that the device, from what I;ve read here, is very finicky about the videos it will take. Grahm said he couldn't get a 29.97 fps video working at 320 by 240 because the P2 demands 30. With either you're gonna be converting anyways, which is a big ol' pain in the butt. Let's hoping the D3 comes with Vision M-like codec and resolution support?

You might be able to fit 7 or 8 movies into 3GB on the P2 BTW.
Phonak Audeo PFE 111 (White), Sennheiser PX100 (Travel Purposes), Koss KSC-75 (Eh... Too Plingy)

Old 07-14-2008, 04:40 PM

7-8 movies in 3gb is going to be crap quality, more like 4-5 movies.
also seeing as you posted this in the d2 forums you subconscious really prefers the d2, and if you get a p2 said subconscious will beat the fool outta you

Old 07-14-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrododorF View Post
7-8 movies in 3gb is going to be crap quality, more like 4-5 movies.
also seeing as you posted this in the d2 forums you subconscious really prefers the d2, and if you get a p2 said subconscious will beat the fool outta you
Or, it could mean that he sees the D2 as potentially lacking any key advantages over the P2 and is asking the people most likely to know of said advantages.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
FWIW, Per some earlier searching I did today it looked like some people have figured out how to hack the P2 to make it UMS (MSC) instead of MTP.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
FWIW, Per some earlier searching I did today it looked like some people have figured out how to hack the P2 to make it UMS (MSC) instead of MTP.
That info isn't new and really isn't a hack. Besides, the D2 has the option to do either MTP/MSC in the settings menu.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
That info isn't new and really isn't a hack. Besides, the D2 has the option to do either MTP/MSC in the settings menu.
Yeah, but it's not really a plus of the D2 over the P2 since they can both can do it.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:07 AM

Yes, both can do it... but on the P2 you have to install another firmware and manually edit a config file to choose between MTP and MSC - on the D2 it's a simple menu option. It's hardly the same ease of use. Not that the transfer protocol is a big issue for most people, anyway.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:03 AM

lol, actually the thing that really turned me away was its user interface(that slight blueish dull theme.) while u say the d2 has lots of options for the themes, can that be changed as well? and what about the audio quality. Which one really sounds better compared to each other with stock earphones?
one more thing that turned me towards the p2 was its design like i said before, and the capability of wireless music.
the transfer protocol is no big issue to me anyways.
for a moment i think im gona end up getting the d2 then the next moment i think im gona get a p2 and the next moment i cant make up my mind and get confused again. lol

and also by the way, Do you know of any places where you can get the p2 or a d2 for a cheap price?

Last edited by ps93; 07-16-2008 at 05:13 AM.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps93 View Post
and also by the way, Do you know of any places where you can get the p2 or a d2 for a cheap price?
Answer: Google search is your friend.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
lol, actually the thing that really turned me away was its user interface(that slight blueish dull theme.) while u say the d2 has lots of options for the themes, can that be changed as well?
Look here: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14856
And here: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18335
Guess that's more than what's available for most other players...

Quote:
Which one really sounds better compared to each other with stock earphones?
Sound quality should really be no concern whatsoever if you use stock earbuds. Even the thought of having to listen to awful stock earbuds makes me tremble in fear. Anyways, the D2 should sound better due to its stronger amp and BBE sound enhancements.

Quote:
one more thing that turned me towards the p2 was its design like i said before, and the capability of wireless music.
There is no "wireless music", only the option to use Bluetooth headphones with the P2 - which all suck compared to wired ones (pairing the P2 with a cellphone is also possible). Bluetooth is a "look what I can do" gimmick, no real feature.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:55 AM

the d2 stock earbuds are better than the p2 stock earbuds ( not a lot but they are) coupled with the better sound quality, there is a difference, it is not a huge difference, but there is one, and if you like to play with tweaking audio then the d2 has many more options.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:27 PM

I know how the OP feels. From a technical standpoint the D2 is superior IMO. But from an aesthetic view I prefer the P2. I don't know what exactly it is but the themes and overall player appearance appeals to be more than the D2. The P2's themes really seem nicer to me, maybe it is the screen itself. The D2's themes that people have created are much better than the original ugly blue but they all seem to lack something IMO.

Also, for me, the vertical design of the P2 would fit my needs better. I realize the D2 can be used either way, but it was obviously designed with horizontal layouts in mind.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:06 AM

thanks for the replies guys,
well, it looks like that the themes are not actually a big issues like i thought they would be. ill start hunting on eBay, go for what ever i find cheaper first.
but also, what is the video quality of both the products like? i would like to know and compare the video quality of both the items before also.
but it looks like most of you people here recommend the d2?
just keep going if you have any more comments
cheers!

aha, found one p2 on ebay with 2 days left. i asked the seller about shipping insurance and other questions(as seperate mails). 3 in total. he replied to 2 but did not reply about the insurance? do u think he is safe to deal with?

Last edited by ps93; 07-17-2008 at 08:15 AM.