android
Old 07-13-2008, 08:35 AM

Default The Nomad Zen Xtra and Vista Dilemma

Hello there, this is my first post so be patient with me. I'm a longtime Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra user and it's the only MP3 player I own!

I know for sure about the Nomad Zen Xtra and Vista dilemma, but I also know there are ways to remedy it, but none of the remedies I've tried have worked so far. I used to be able to manage the Zen Xtra through my home PC with Windows XP Home Edition, but unfortunately part of the computer got fried in a lightning storm and now I'm stuck with using my laptop running Vista until I'm able to fix the XP and there's no way in heck that my Zen Xtra is going to respond!

Anyway, I read about Zen Xtra responding to WinAMP in Vista with the right driver so you can manage and add MP3s. Now, I want to know how to get this working correctly. I've tried different methods and so far it hasn't worked for me. Any suggestions?

By the way, at the moment I cannot find my driver CD (It likes to migrate around the house!) and I'm running on the 1.03.02 firmware.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello Palmerholic. Welcome to ABI!

You will need to have the PlaysForSure firmware (2.10.03) installed on the Xtra in order for it to work correctly with Vista. This will turn the Xtra into an MTP compatible device which Vista has native support for. Keep in mind upgrading to the PFS firmware will format/erase all files currently on the Xtra, so make sure you have the files backed up. The catch to this is that you will need to find an XP system to use in order to upgrade the firmware to the PFS firmware to work on Vista. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 07-16-2008, 06:18 PM

I tried downloading the software,it earased everything but it didn't download the new stuff(looks like all my software on my ZEN is gone).It says plug in your MP3 but it doesn't work--any suggestions.
The display of my ZEN saysRescue Mode vl.13

Old 07-16-2008, 06:58 PM
ABI Invaluable

Please describe exactly everything you have done so far.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello tomemde. Welcome!

It sounds like you have selected the Reload Firmware option within Recovery Mode, which erased the firmware that was installed, and now the Xtra doesn't seem to make a good connection to be detected properly in order to install the newer firmware. Sound accurate?

What firmware did you have installed? What firmware are you trying to install? What OS are you using on the computer? What version of WMP is installed? Have you checked Device Manager to verify that the driver for the Xtra is installing correctly? What category is the Xtra being loading under in Device manager? Do you have any of the Creative software installed?

Let us know.....

Zen FAQ

Old 07-16-2008, 10:22 PM

I went to Softpedia/PlayForSure(2.10.03),plugged in my ZEN extra jukebox-on a friends labtop with Windows-xp and clicked on External Mirror 1 below-it told me to run the program and it started downloading.But a little while into the download it seemed to get stuck .I waited maybe 10 minutes-nothing happened,got impatient and interupted.After that it said your ZEN is not connected,please reconnect.
All it shows now on the sreen of my Zen is: Rescue Mode vl.13
and below :Boot vl. 4, HW v0. 0. 1
Below that is a list: 1:Clean up
2:Format All
3:Reload OS
4:Reboot
When I go to#3 it says reload it via USB
start firmware update now
But nothing happened
Hope this info is helpful to you
Thanks a lot for any help
Tom

Old 07-16-2008, 10:30 PM

Hey thanks for your quick response-I'm kind of a novice when it comes to those things-sorry.
I did download the creative software on that labtop.
Your disciption is absolutly accurate.
Trying to download PlayForSure 2.10.03-I think right now there is no firmware installed at all anymore(seems everything got earased)
What does OS and WMP mean?Sorry
Not sure about device manager either.
Am I of any help?

Old 07-17-2008, 03:04 PM
ABI Invaluable

Okay, let's see if this will help:
  1. Turn on your player. It should boot right into Rescue Mode.
  2. Select "Clean Up". Wait for it to finish.
  3. Select "Format All". Wait for it to finish.
  4. Select "Reload OS".
  5. Plug your player into your friend's laptop and wait for it to be detected.
    • If the player is not detected, make sure the correct driver is installed in your friend's computer. You can find the driver here.
    • Be sure you have the correct firmware. You can find the PFS firmware here.
    • If the PFS firmware will not properly install, then repeat steps 2-5. Download the non-PFS firmware from here, and proceed to Step 6. Verify that everything works. If so, then you can try reloading the PFS firmware again, starting at Step 4.
  6. With the player plugged into the computer and properly detected, double-click the firmware file on the computer to start the upload.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
What does OS and WMP mean?Sorry
Not sure about device manager either.
OS = Operating System (ex. Windows XP...)
WMP = Windows Media Player
Device Manager

Zen FAQ

Old 12-22-2008, 10:40 AM

Default a long and complicated "fix"

I hesitate to call this a fix, because it only works once. Like everyone, I could not get my zen xtra to be recognized in Vista. You need xp to update the firmware. So I used an xp laptop at work and updated it. Be aware that doing so will wipe out all your music, so have a backup.

Then, in Vista, the OS sees the device, but you have to install the updated driver from Creative.

Then, you have to install the "plays for sure" plugiin.

Then you have to reinstall the updated Mediasource software (if you like crappy creative software that is).

Now the player could be seen in Vista. But I encountered another problem. The naming conventions in the software kept reverting to sorting trakcs by album, which meant that everytime I tried to transfer tracks to the zen, it would hang at 90%-95% transferred, then eventually return with an error. I figured out that it was trying to transfer multiple trakcs as one long file. Resetting the naming conventions in Mediasource temporarily "fixed" the problem, and I was able to load the player.

The worst problem though was that this was a one time deal. I could transfer all my files all at once from my PC's music library successfully. However, once it was loaded, and I wanted to add files, I encountered the same hanging issue. So, I made sure that everything I wanted to transfer was ripped and stored in the music library, reset and formatted the zen, then transferred all my files at once.

I won't ever be able to add more songs unless I format again. What a piece of crap this software is. Too bad, because my little zen has been around the world three times and It has been a great player.

I'm not looking forward to having to replace it.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome mcsegeek1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsegeek1 View Post
Then, in Vista, the OS sees the device, but you have to install the updated driver from Creative.
Once you have the PFS firmware installed on the Xtra, you do not need to install any "extra" driver for it turns the Xtra into an MTP device in which Vista natively supports and loads an MTP driver for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsegeek1 View Post
Then, you have to install the "plays for sure" plugiin.

Then you have to reinstall the updated Mediasource software (if you like crappy creative software that is).
Again, once the Xtra is an MTP device, you do not need any of the Creative software at all to use. You can use either drag-and-drop from within Windows Explorer or sync/media manager software like WMP, MediaMonkey, Winamp, etc.. The fact that you installed the Creative software on Vista could explain the problems you are now having. The software is known for being poor and causing these types of problems (often breaks MTP functionality) once installed.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-31-2009, 01:51 PM

Default Solution

Hi guys, this is a great solution.

For all Creative ZENs and NOMADs.

First download Creative MediaSource 5:
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Oth...er-52023.shtml

Then download the ZEN and NOMAD plugin. It says it's for Jukebox Zen but it works for all ZENs and NOMADs:

http://support.creative.com/download...ownloadId=9838

Instructions:

Hit Agree.

Download the file (16 MB)

Run the .exe file

Restart your computer.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you have the PFS firmware installed, you don't need any of that.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-21-2009, 08:59 AM

Some questions re the Zen Xtra:

1. Does XP recognis this player when plugged into the USB port.
2. Which firmware do I need on this player for it to get recognised with Vista.
3. I suppose the firmware needs to be updated with an XP PC before it can
be connecte to a Vista PC ?

4. Can I use the Creative Media Source 5 software from my ZVM with the Zen
Xtra.

Thanks

Old 02-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

1. Yes.
2. Either firmware (PFS firmware or non-PFS firmware). If using the non-PFS firmware, you will need to use the latest Jukebox driver (here). When using a PFS firmware, no extra software/drivers are needed.
3. Correct.
4. Yes, with WinXP. I wouldn't even try any of the Creative software with Vista.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-15-2011, 12:41 PM

I have the same issue here, but what ever I did when I plug my Zen into my Xp machine all I get is a Nomad Zen xtra Icon and when I open that it shows only 20gb storage (mine is a 40gb) which I can not put anything into. When I tried installing the playforsure it asks to plug in the playet yet its not recognised

HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomemde View Post
I went to Softpedia/PlayForSure(2.10.03),plugged in my ZEN extra jukebox-on a friends labtop with Windows-xp and clicked on External Mirror 1 below-it told me to run the program and it started downloading.But a little while into the download it seemed to get stuck .I waited maybe 10 minutes-nothing happened,got impatient and interupted.After that it said your ZEN is not connected,please reconnect.
All it shows now on the sreen of my Zen is: Rescue Mode vl.13
and below :Boot vl. 4, HW v0. 0. 1
Below that is a list: 1:Clean up
2:Format All
3:Reload OS
4:Reboot
When I go to#3 it says reload it via USB
start firmware update now
But nothing happened
Hope this info is helpful to you
Thanks a lot for any help
Tom
UPDATE: Got it working , I found out to install using XP home I have to go back to SP2 ffor XP (lucky I kept that disc from MS) Also had to uninstall WMP 11 and go back to 10. Then the install was a breeze. I optyed to stay away from Creative Media Souce and am using Cowon's Jet Audio Media Center. Not the best software in the world but it works. I have XP and Win7 Machines here. So I suspect that this will also work on your Vista.

Last edited by jjr; 01-18-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:08 AM

Default My old computer died. how can I extract files for my zen player?

My HP Millenium OS computer is "fried", but I might be able to save its HD.

I am trying to save my 2500 music files sitting on a Nomad Jukebox Zen xtra 40gb. The player works.

So far, I figure I need another computer with xp. I would dedicate it to only support this zen player.

I do not have the installation cd the nomad came with.
I can't believe it's this much drama to keep a functioning mp3 player.

Any suggestions as to what I should do next?
Thanks to any and all.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:58 AM

Default come on .......stuck on simple issue ....

install vmware player (60mb free)and install a virtual xp on it .SIMPLEEEEEE