android
Old 07-12-2008, 05:41 PM

Default The Samsung P2 In your pocket!

Hi everyone.
I am thinking of getting this player but also liking the Sony A820.

My question for the P2 is: How does the touchscreen react when putting it in your pocket (of your pants for ex).

Does it jumps through menus and songs by the walking or sliding movements?

I think you can put it on Hold with the button on the side ( is this the only prevention?)

And when putting it on hold all the time does this reduce the battery life?

My main concern is the battery life and how annoying the touch is when it touches an object accidentally.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-12-2008, 05:53 PM

Here are some answers:

Does it jumps through menus and songs by the walking or sliding movements? Sometimes, if the hold is not on.

I think you can put it on Hold with the button on the side ( is this the only prevention?) Yes you can, this is the only prevention.

And when putting it on hold all the time does this reduce the battery life? I do not believe putting the player on hold affects battery life. This shuts down the screen and with the new firmware (5.08), it does not shut off the buttons. It may increase your battery life.

Kikanue
Proud P2 Owner
Old:
Creative Zen V 1GB - Creative EP-480 Earbuds

Old 07-12-2008, 08:20 PM

The p2's touchscreen is.. ah something i can't remember but it won't be affected by objects. edit: its MMEA (magical miniature elf activated)

Last edited by FrododorF; 07-12-2008 at 08:25 PM.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestofWest View Post
The p2's touchscreen is.. ah something i can't remember but it won't be affected by objects. edit: its MMEA (magical miniature elf activated)
Capacitive, i think BestofWest is trying to remember. That is, when your finger touches the screen, the heat from it reduces the electrical resistance of the area you touch, allowing the player to know where is being pressed. This way, the screen cannot be accidentally (or intentionally) pressed by anything other than a finger (in theory). This is a lot more accurate than the old 'resistant' touch screens.

But, in answer to the OP, when I use my P2 and I slip it into my pocket, nothing ever gets pressed, and the screen seldom lights up. Even without ever using the 'hold' switch, using EQ, playing around a lot, I still only have to charge it 1-2 times a week. Hope this has been helpful.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:13 PM

not sure i would say it is more accurate, if people had thin pointy fingers then yeah it would be, also if you have dirty or oily hands you pretty much have to smudge your screen or o nothing, with the resistant touchscreen would let you pick up a anything and touch the screen...
not saying one is better than the other, they are different each has its disadvantages

Old 07-13-2008, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the info. It has answered one more question of mine.

But still i'm not convinced with the battery life. I there fore have a question for Stuchbery.

You send; ''Even without ever using the 'hold' switch, using EQ, playing around a lot, I still only have to charge it 1-2 times a week. Hope this has been helpful''.

Does this mean the battery does not live up to the promised 35 hrs? Or are you using it really A LOT? Do you think, when looking at it usage, charging 1-2 times a weak is reasonable/ very satisfying

I wonder how many times all of you have to charge ur batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuchbery View Post
Capacitive, i think BestofWest is trying to remember. That is, when your finger touches the screen, the heat from it reduces the electrical resistance of the area you touch, allowing the player to know where is being pressed. This way, the screen cannot be accidentally (or intentionally) pressed by anything other than a finger (in theory). This is a lot more accurate than the old 'resistant' touch screens.

But, in answer to the OP, when I use my P2 and I slip it into my pocket, nothing ever gets pressed, and the screen seldom lights up. Even without ever using the 'hold' switch, using EQ, playing around a lot, I still only have to charge it 1-2 times a week. Hope this has been helpful.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:50 PM

35 of audio
5 hour video

so if your just listening to audio with the screen off it will last, but when you start watching videos, playing games, looking at pictures, or endlessly scrolling the cosmos menu (don't say you don't do it too) you'll use more juice

I use mine everyday all day, but one charge lasts the whole day for me. I use the highest brightness setting too.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Samsung Moderator

Why worry about battery life so much anyway? Is it really that tedious to plug it in daily? Personally, I'm worried more about the longevity of the battery, and full discharges are really killer on any battery. Read this for more information:

http://batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Old 07-15-2008, 10:52 AM

the longevity worries me even more but that one im willing to accept. Say if I can use it for say at least 5 years at its full im satisfied. But i read that it has a li-polymer battery and that this type is better than the Li-Lion en lasts very longer.

I am going on lots of vacations by end of this year. So i will be away from home and from pcs several weeks. And if i have to plug it for download every day in a pc that really sucks than.

I have this old samsung Yp T5 that uses the AAA Batterys. Im still very satiesfied with its battery use. I can run it for1- 2 weeks (i use it only on the road for few hours and when going to sleep). It has max 15 hrs of batt use (said on pakkage). When i traveled last year brought it with me and was amazing. Never worry to charge or have a pc at hand, just a few batterys you can pre charge at home.

Wish they could still use this method in the new mp3s. Dont know who came uo with this stupidity really. They create such a superb player and than go and put this internal battery that isnt repleaceble!! Even cell phones ones are repleacable man.
Stupid!!!
Why cant they make a special kind for mp3 players and sell them loose also. That way buy 2 and pre charge one when traveling.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roon View Post
So i will be away from home and from pcs several weeks. And if i have to plug it for download every day in a pc that really sucks than.
For a very reasonable price you can buy a car/AC charging kit that will allow you to charge the device without a PC -- and charge it quicker, too. You can then charge the P2 while traveling like you would keep a cell phone charged up and ready to go . . . .

Old 07-15-2008, 03:33 PM

Default Battery life

i am going on a 3 day trip on friday and bringing my p2, ZEN vision W, and PSP. I woul dhave only brought my P2, but I am going to be ridin g with other people. I am concerned about the battery life of mainly my P2. I use it to listen to music but the battery doesnt last that long at all. It's probably because I use the touchscreen a lot but now with 5.08 firmware, I can leave it on hold in my pocket while using pause and volume. I think that was what was killing my battery life before. I havent tested It yet, but I'm charging it right now and going to leave it on hold and run down the battery to "recondition" it. Ill report my findings after the test.
I'm using these setting for the test:
no DNSe
no EQ
brightness=2 (that wont be much of a factor in this test as the screen will be off, but is a big factor in real life use)
192k mp3s
volume 15 using included headphones
bluetooth off.

I am also running down th ebatteries of my ZEN vision W and PSP.
I will set them all to power saving settings fo the trip and want to see how long they all last under normal use by a bunch of boy scouts. luckily if they all die in the first day, I have my power inverter and power adapters. (a usb wall thing for the P2)

Old 07-19-2008, 05:50 PM

Ok waiting for the results amddude

Old 07-20-2008, 08:10 PM

How scratch resistant is the screen? If I put it in the same pocket as my keys will it get scratched up?

Old 07-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

theres a good chance tat it will, but thats where the screen protector that comes with it comes in handy =)

Old 07-22-2008, 07:29 PM

Default screen protector??!!!

What screen protector that came with it mine didn't come with one. Wish i did.
When i put my P2 in my pocket with change, keys, and pens etc. the screen got scratched. This was one major disappointment I had with the p2 but really the only one. As i find the battery works plenty long defiantly the 35 hours.
When i first got it i was really cautious about not scratching it and didn't like carrying it around in my pocket but that got annoying. So i just started putting it in a pocket alone. It got scratched anyways and now it all just blends in.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

are u sure it didnt come with one? where did u buy it? is it used?
have u checked the sticker thing that is on the screen when u first open the box, becuz it is behind that

Old 07-22-2008, 08:58 PM

yeah i looked there was no screen protector i got it at best buy. i was in there like a month after i got it and there were boxes if plastic cases for free apparently they were to come with it or something the best buy workers had no idea. Originally i was going to buy it and it took like 20 min. for them to figure out it was free. But no screen protector.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

oh that sucks...but at least you got the free case rite?
you could always buy one from ebay or sumthing...b/c the screen is REALLY scratcheable...
i scrtached it just by tapping a pencil on it..=(

Old 07-22-2008, 09:30 PM

yeah its a little late for a screen protector. Ill get a pick of what it looks like up tomorrow. Its not bad actually just not as shiny. Know of any way to take off scratches. I would like to do that then put on a protector. yeah i did get a free case, but i found it to bulky and it was a ugly color blue. i figured its not protecting the screen what is the point of protecting everything else.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouswonderer View Post
oh that sucks...but at least you got the free case rite?
you could always buy one from ebay or sumthing...b/c the screen is REALLY scratcheable...
i scrtached it just by tapping a pencil on it..=(
its not "REALLY scratcheable", just don't put sharp objects on it
I've never had any protection for mine and the screen is in perfect shape, can't say that about the back though