Default Unlock Sansa M230 and m250 FM Radio in Europe

Post updated with new information....

Got an m230 or m250 in Europe?

Want the FM Radio?

No Problem just a firmware away.

This has been tested with Europe Firmware 2.2.3E

1. Change USB settings to MSC
2. Plug your player into USB
3. Open 'SYS_CONF.DNC' which should be on your player and change the version number to 2.0.0A
4. Download and run this http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/D...dmx3-iv001.exe
5. After updating it should restart twice

NOTE: This will remove everything from your device and it is probably a good idea to reformat the player via explorer afterwards to remove other problems.

Your new firmware will be 2.1.0A.

It should now be possible to update to the latest firmware by using the Sansa Firmware Updater:

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1376

Some people including myself have experienced font problems with Artists and menu titles
after updating to the latest firmware.

This may or may not be related to forcing the US firmware on the Europe device.

A fix for this is indicated in the post below:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=3218

Use this information at your own risk, it worked for me but its always possible with such hacks that things might go wrong.

This hack may work on other devices in the m200 range. Post here if you can confirm that it works on the m240 and m260.

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-14-2006, 04:17 AM

And what about the m250?

Old 10-15-2006, 03:14 PM

From researching this I've seen some suggestion that this will also work on the m250 possibly all players in the m200 series.

However I can't confirm this only that I've personally tried it on an m230 and it works. Once again please use this information with caution.

Good Luck.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:43 PM

I can confirm it works on the m250.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:48 PM

please tell me did you notice font change in play mode after firmw. being change d to american

Old 10-16-2006, 05:01 AM

Yeah, I did.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:35 PM

Had excellent result here with M250. Why oh why would they not implement the radio feature for the Europe firmware? Any legal issues?

Old 10-25-2006, 11:58 PM

I heard it's indeed due to legal issues. FM frequency law or something like that...

Old 11-14-2006, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mJemec
I can confirm it works on the m250.
I want to ask you what version of firmware do you have before upgrade form EU do US? I'm asking because I red it happens that m250 breaks after upgrade if it has firmware version 3.x.x EU.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:43 AM

Well...

I did all of it:
3. Open 'SYS_CONF.DNC' which should be on your player and change the version number to 2.0.0A

After that my SanDisk Sansa M250 shows me that it is M220 and has several firmware problems. For example it shows me it has 0MB total memory. 0 songs. It is true but it should have 2GB free memory then.

I can't acces to my player when it is in MSC. When I try to copy songs to player using MTP Windows Media Player will crash.

I can't reinstall firmware because when i set it to MSC and turn it off, it will be MTP again on next turn on.

If I try to acces to my player using MSC Windows will say "Please insert disc to drive H:\

Is there any idea how can I format all the mess that I have done and reinstall SanDisk Sansa M250 Europe firmware? (Because it looks like that i can't get the american FW to work, and i would be glad if i can just clean out the mess and use my player like I used before)

Old 12-06-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muff-Man View Post
Well...

I did all of it:

After that my SanDisk Sansa M250 shows me that it is M220 and has several firmware problems. For example it shows me it has 0MB total memory. 0 songs. It is true but it should have 2GB free memory then.

I can't acces to my player when it is in MSC. When I try to copy songs to player using MTP Windows Media Player will crash.

I can't reinstall firmware because when i set it to MSC and turn it off, it will be MTP again on next turn on.

If I try to acces to my player using MSC Windows will say "Please insert disc to drive H:\

Is there any idea how can I format all the mess that I have done and reinstall SanDisk Sansa M250 Europe firmware? (Because it looks like that i can't get the american FW to work, and i would be glad if i can just clean out the mess and use my player like I used before)
Exactley the same problem here with the m240, i think there is something in the new ones that stop this working, either way, im interested if anyone has a way of fixing it, someone posted in a thread below something about jump starting it by fiddling around the electronics, but thats beyond me.

The only use i have for mine, is a very expensive, high tech door wedge :-(

Old 12-10-2006, 03:48 PM

I try it too, make some radio in my sansa...
I have the same problem, 00MB free space, 00 MB used 852songs, 107 recordings, no MSC mode on my 240. and no "backflashing" to the original fw
But if I plug it on my amplifier, and I turn the volume to max, the radio it's work good, but very very quiet...

so I'm a little bit angry against me... what can i do now?? Go back to the shop and tell them, oh it's work till now until one week, and now it's just go wrong??? hmmm I hope it will be fix it..

(sorry about my english)

Old 12-15-2006, 05:37 PM

HI

Exactley the same problem here... Exactley.. All word is matching. Some idea?

Old 12-15-2006, 06:16 PM

So...

I was Europian version, with 3.x.x firmware. I say: No Do This. I will back morning to shop, and i will change a new device. If i can help someone with original firmware version, and someone tell me how can i download from my new device, i will do.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:42 PM

I think: If my version number was sample 3.2.1 /i dont remember exatley/, then i why write in fw file 2.0.0? The updater program is found 2.1.0 firm, downloaded it, and makes my Sansa bad. What happens, if i try with 3.0.0 firm? What found the updater program? Maybe 3.2.1A version, with FM support?

....Hm... maybe if i will have a good Sansa, i will try

Old 12-16-2006, 04:44 AM

mabye you didn't flash your player correctly.

Just follow the 'manual' and it'll be ok.
So, what you had to do is,after changing conf file to 2.0.0a , download firmw. update from sandisk.com (NOT updater program but update).

After that you can freely update sansa with updater program to most recent firmw.

I did it on several m240 from my friends as well as mine (it was original 3.x.xe) and it worked fine in every case.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:14 AM

Hmmm...

You are lucky, or im unlucky. I dont know, but i dont do nothing with my sansa anymore, i take back in shop. They cannot change this type, because sold out. I retrieved other type. Good luck to evereybody. Csürsz

Old 12-16-2006, 03:13 PM

And now mine is bricked as well...

The firmware used to be 3.2.8E. So I can confirm that flashing a model with firmware 3.x.xE is not a good idea. Like somebody wrote, the first digit in the firmware might be the hardware revision.

I took my m240 apart and took some pictures of it:
http://medlem.spray.se/trancentral/sansa1.jpg
http://medlem.spray.se/trancentral/sansa2.jpg

Managed to put it together again without leaving any marks so now I just hope that I can return it from where I bought it...

Old 12-17-2006, 03:02 PM

Unhappy Some Idea?, some question...

I'm thinking a lot about this problem...
I do everything like I read on this page when I tried updating.
Some Idea:

In our(died) player maybe newer memory chip or something, and the old firmware kill the memory or something.

Or

Something we did wrong???
- I used rechargeable battery(why say the manual: not use rechargeable(1,2Volt)? it works with it)
- When I updated the firm with 2.0.0a I used the deatach device from usb feature, but i think it's okay
- I had deleting all of mp3s from my player before I updateing...

And some question...
have you tried to take out the battery and holding the power button 45 sec.?(I'm not)
And what about with this buttoncell on the panel?
Why it's 2.0.0a update program is accesable on the sandisk site, when there are an updater program also that "better" and "safer"(it's read the firm code from player directly not from the file, I trierd before do this(hack))?

Old 12-17-2006, 05:11 PM

I searched on Google and found a german forum that discussed the firmware some more, unfortunately I'm no good at german...
It looks to me like they're trying to flash from european firmware 3.2.8E to US firmware by changing the version text from 3.2.8E to 3.0.5A?
Is there someone here that understands german better than me that can confirm this?

Here are the links to the threads on the german forum:
http://www.telefon-treff.de/showthre...5&pagenumber=1
http://www.telefon-treff.de/showthre...8&pagenumber=9