android
Old 07-06-2008, 08:04 AM

Default Pairing with BEYERDYNAMIC DT-770 M?

Hey all, this is my first post so please excuse me if I'm not following the forum praxis, I'll try to behave.

I recently ordered a pair of BEYERDYNAMIC DT-770 Ms to use while drumming, with my digital metronome and an mp3-player. I don't have the money to spend on a fancy mp3-player and I've narrowed my current choices down to the Sansa Clip (might just have to start digging deeper though). You can find information about the phones here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...hms?sku=272023

Could anyone tell me if the Clip will be able to support these phones? I'm looking to be able to hear the bass well (ie. the bass player) if I use them as a monitoring device during gigs, and the bass drum + bass line if I'm using them with mp3s. I'm hopin that this beauty can function as my all-day mp3-player AND as my music player while drumming.

If the player would not be able to support these headphones I'd love some alternatives (I'm looking for something in the same price range). I'm not educated at all in this area so I'm sorry if I've asked a totally stupid question.

Nonetheless, thanks in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Redneck Moderator

Depends on what impedance they are. I've used my clip with some HD590's and they work, but I have to turn the volume to max to get it to a listening level. The 590's are 120ohms. So if you have the 80ohm 770's then it should work alright.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Depends on what impedance they are. I've used my clip with some HD590's and they work, but I have to turn the volume to max to get it to a listening level. The 590's are 120ohms. So if you have the 80ohm 770's then it should work alright.
Thanks for the answer. The D770s are 80 ohm, so I take it as they'll work. Hopefully they'll cancel out enough voice so I can drum too.

Is there some kind of golden rule for this issue? I'm not fully set on the Sansa Clip (although I haven't found a good alternative) yet and it'd be kind of stupid to ask the same question in another player's forum.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:41 AM

Works fine w/ my DT 770 (2007), customized to be 32ohms.

eml: not all DT-770 are 80ohms, this depends when you bought it, and it if was a custom one (you can decide when you buy it online, at least since 2007).

Old 07-08-2008, 06:59 AM

I believe the M version of the DT770 is only available in 80 Ohm, contrary to the Pro versions.

My DT770-Pro are 80 Ohm, and they sound fine with the Clip, but they don't go very loud. At around 75% of the Clip's volume they are at (what I believe to be) comfortable listening level. This might be an issue if you want to use the Clip while drumming... depending on your decibel needs.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:58 AM

This is exactly why I asked for a 32ohms version, that fits my laptop's (ugly) output, my sansa clip and my yamaha sound system.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:32 AM

Hmm okay, well my headphones are definitely 80 ohm, this I am 100% sure of. Well I don't know, the Sansa Clip might produce enough power depending on how good the phones cancels out noise.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Redneck Moderator

If you looking at other players too then you just need to look at the power out put level of the other players and see if its high enough to drive your headphones. With anything above 80 then most players will need a headphone amp. Right now I'm using some Sennheiser HD580's with a Cowon D2, and the HD580's are rated at 300 ohms, and the D2 needs turned nearly all the way up, but the D2 has a very powerful output.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:42 PM

The bad thing is that Sandisk doesn't publish any useful specs about their players' power output. :/

But the Clip sure goes loud enough for most reasonable applications. I'm even using an UE impedance adapter (at least 70 Ohm, if I'm not mistaken) with my 32 Ohm SE530 on the Clip cause I can't stand the background hiss. I have to listen at 80% volume, but it works fine.