android
Old 07-05-2008, 06:34 PM

Default You people made me buy a D2..now answer these.... :)

Hello People,

I asked for a media player choice in another thread, and you people suggested D2!! Here I am! In the family..... I am getting my Cowon delivered on Monday, and I am so enthusiastic about it, that I have already scowled the two major forums : ABI, and iaudiophile.net. So, from What I have been reading my unattended queries are:

1) Which firmware would be current D2 be supplied with?

2) I inferred that verison 2.57 and 3.57 are the most stable firmware releases.Is it true? If not, then let me know of a version which supports flash skins and dictionary

3)As soon as D2 comes to me, should i upgrade it to the version suggested above?

4)Are all the flash skins compatible with the version above?Specially the Iphone skins?

5)I have got my old but nice, KOSS K75s... Are they good enuf for D2? Any particular setting which would do me good...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-05-2008, 07:18 PM

1) Depends on the stock. Probably not latest. It only takes a minute to flash it.

2) 3.57 supports flash skins and the dictionary. Both are rubbish, IMHO-- Flash skins aren't very responsive, and how often do you need a pocket dictionary?

3) Yes. Flashing the firmware means you have to reload all the music on the player, so flash it first.

4) Should be. I dont know of any iPhone skins, but I use an iPhone theme, which works exactly like the original layout but looks different. They can be used on any firmware version made, there is an amazing converter for themes.

5) The KSC75's are decent. The D2 should do nearly any portable phones justice. I bought the $250 HFI-780's for mine, so it depends on your budget! One tip: Instead of boosting the eq bands above 0, lower all the other ones and boost the volume. That way you wont get any clipping or nasty stuff.

3dsurround works, but it makes the music much more distorted than normal on any phones. Once you get used to standard stereo, stereo is better anyway.

Rockbox is out for the D2, and it has gapless playback, a wicked awesome EQ, and generally superior audio performance. (over the stock firmware) You can even play Doom3 or any Gameboy game on it. The downside, however, is the rockbox interface is a little hard to navigate due to the touchscreen and the way its setup. Sometimes it works really fast, sometimes you will be frustrated. It uses 'virtual buttons' on the left, right, upper, lower, center, and corners of the screen to navigate.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Last edited by Xenodius; 07-05-2008 at 08:08 PM.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

1) Which firmware would be current D2 be supplied with?

Ans: US and Europe will prob be 2.57.

2) I inferred that verison 2.57 and 3.57 are the most stable firmware releases.Is it true? If not, then let me know of a version which supports flash skins and dictionary

Ans: Flash skins and dictionary are 3.57.

3)As soon as D2 comes to me, should i upgrade it to the version suggested above?

Ans: If you see fit to do so - as both are stable as you know.

4)Are all the flash skins compatible with the version above?Specially the Iphone skins?

Ans: Only if they're made for the FW you use on the D2.

5)I have got my old but nice, KOSS K75s... Are they good enuf for D2? Any particular setting which would do me good...

Ans: K75's are pretty good. An upgrade would be nice - check the headphone section for suggestions. As for settings that's completely up to you. No one can recommend what sounds best to you.

Now, 1 final statement: Congrats and enjoy your D2 - And: Welcome To ABi!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:11 PM

Flash skins work on almost any 3.xx version, IIRC-- but themes are quite version dependent. That is, a 3.54 theme wont work on 3.53. But there is a converter for them in the iAudiophile forum Themes bundle thingy, so no big deal.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 07-05-2008, 08:40 PM

Just to let you know, people mentioned that you should use the panasonic flasher instead of the windows one as it increases speed. I myself am looking for a guide using this panasonic flasher and how to load whatever firmware after that. I'm not sure how to do it, but there is a thread about it. I suggest you check it out.

Does anyone know if the panasonic formatter is supposed to be used for the built in flash memory? I understand you flash your SD card, but the internal I was afraid. I mean if I wipe out all memory... will it still run? I am not even sure how to load a "firmware."

Old 07-05-2008, 09:35 PM

Thankyou for mentioning the formatter. The panasonic formatter should be used on both internal and external memory for shortest possible boot time.

You don't even have to reload the firmware after you format the D2.

You really can't brick the D2, not with Tcctool on the net. Though, tcctool isn't exactly for the faint of heart or computer illiterate, so thats debatable! =p

Old 07-05-2008, 09:49 PM

newer Flash Skins may not work with past versions of Firmware 3.xx as 3.53b introduced Flash UI feature. all the Skins i have tried work with 3.57

Old 07-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

To download the Panasonic Format Utility: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

Thanks dfkt!!!

Old 07-06-2008, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenodius View Post
Thankyou for mentioning the formatter. The panasonic formatter should be used on both internal and external memory for shortest possible boot time.

You don't even have to reload the firmware after you format the D2.

You really can't brick the D2, not with Tcctool on the net. Though, tcctool isn't exactly for the faint of heart or computer illiterate, so thats debatable! =p
Do we still do the quick or the full format on the internal? Quick seems to be less effective after reading some threads...

Old 07-06-2008, 02:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher7 View Post
Do we still do the quick or the full format on the internal? Quick seems to be less effective after reading some threads...
Go full as it won't damage your player OR sd card. But remember to do this AFTER the FIRMWARE upgrade and BEFORE you load your music and vids. It erases all files and sets the D2 back to it's default state. Really increases the load and access times though.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:03 AM

Default Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
Go full as it won't damage your player OR sd card. But remember to do this AFTER the FIRMWARE upgrade and BEFORE you load your music and vids. It erases all files and sets the D2 back to it's default state. Really increases the load and access times though.
Now I am a bit confused. When I get my D2 I should format the internal memory? And this will increase my load and access times....or decrease the times.....take longer or take less time?

Old 07-06-2008, 08:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Takes LESS time to boot and LESS time to access your files. Speeds up the player as a whole. Just make sure the player is in UMS mode so the formatter can see it as a Flash drive. Return it to MTP mode if you wan't to sync later with a fav program.

PS: My flub - meant to say improves, NOT increases!!!

Old 07-06-2008, 09:08 AM

Is there a thread/guide on how to update the firmware?

Old 07-06-2008, 10:57 AM

click this link

http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard...bmenu=download

This is the firmware for DAB 4.58 but the folder way of doing things is the same in principal for 2.57 ,3.57 firmware

Old 07-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This is the iAudiophile.net forums. There are a few of us here that are members - including one of the mods (dfkt). GREAT place for info on ALL Cowon products as well as ABi (you get faster answers from knowledgeable people here though).

iAudiophile.net: http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Old 07-06-2008, 07:35 PM

Thanks for such fine replies..... Just one question that is bothering me big time.... I came to know about the stinky shuffle feature....That is heart breaking!!! Had i knew this before, I might have went for something else...NOw i have a 20 gig collection, and i want to listen diff songs.... How do I do that? What do you people do? Make a shuffled playlist and store it? But that will always begin from the first song? Any options here or everytime I will have to select the songs I wish to hear?

Old 07-08-2008, 03:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanu View Post
Thanks for such fine replies..... Just one question that is bothering me big time.... I came to know about the stinky shuffle feature....That is heart breaking!!! Had i knew this before, I might have went for something else...NOw i have a 20 gig collection, and i want to listen diff songs.... How do I do that? What do you people do? Make a shuffled playlist and store it? But that will always begin from the first song? Any options here or everytime I will have to select the songs I wish to hear?
Create the playlist (only works on internal memory), pick a song, start playing and set it to shuffle. That's all - ENJOY!!!