android
Old 07-03-2008, 04:13 PM

Default 3rd Generation Zune?

I was wondering if i should go ahead and buy a Zune 80 or just wait for the 3rd generation of devices. What do you guys think? I have the opportunity to buy one at the end of the month for my brithday or i could wait for the next generation. I dont want to make an impulse buy and if you guys really think the next gen will come out by the end of the year i think ill just wait.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Zune Moderator

I personally believe that there is a software update this fall, and I think a hardware update will come this fall as well. Next year there will be a hardware update undoubtedly.

Forsure:
sofware update this fall
hardware updates in fall 2009

25% possible:
hardware updates this fall

Old 07-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You still can't go wrong if you get it now, then your guaranteed immediate enjoyment. Plus, any software update's for the HARDWARE are always provided for ALL the Zune players by MS. Pretty good system actually - just a wee bit slow - but good. And the Zune software is really dang good now.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Zune Moderator

If I were in your position I would go ahead and grab the Zune 80. I personally would buy one in a heart beat if I had the money.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I had a prob w/my shipment from Dell and had to cancel my Zune80!!! Stuck w/what I have in the car @the moment - dang it!!!! Get a Zune and enjoy - it's a STELLAR player!!!

Old 07-12-2008, 03:34 PM

I highly recommend the 80. It's a beautiful piece of hardware and works beautifully as well. As with any closed system (such as ipod/itunes) you're bound to have problems/gripes but don't let that deter your decision. The software may take some getting used to but once you figure it out it's actually a really fine program. Download it and try it out for a bit: http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/z...e/download.htm

//edit// Sorry to hear that ny. Can't you just re-order it?

Old 07-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Banned

they better update hardware and software and a BIG one because the iPod machine will stream roll all over the Zune pussycat...

and btw, the must drop the already DEAD Social....iPhone and Ipod Touch with Pandora and Last.fm are more social than any Zune.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will91 View Post
I was wondering if i should go ahead and buy a Zune 80 or just wait for the 3rd generation of devices. What do you guys think? I have the opportunity to buy one at the end of the month for my brithday or i could wait for the next generation. I dont want to make an impulse buy and if you guys really think the next gen will come out by the end of the year i think ill just wait.
Don't hold your breath for it, who knows how long it will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
If I were in your position I would go ahead and grab the Zune 80. I personally would buy one in a heart beat if I had the money.
Same here, I'm stuck with a 4 gig Mp3 Player

2008 - 4 Gig Zune (Broken)
2006 - YP-Z5 (Awesome!)

Old 08-23-2008, 10:59 PM

heh, 4 gig, ur freaking lucky. im still relying on my old sansa m230. 512 MB DOESNT GET U FAR ANYMORE!!!

man i really wished i woulda won that clip. but all i need now is 30 bucks and can get that zune 80 and buy the alarm clock

Old 08-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post
they better update hardware and software and a BIG one because the iPod machine will stream roll all over the Zune pussycat...

and btw, the must drop the already DEAD Social....iPhone and Ipod Touch with Pandora and Last.fm are more social than any Zune.
umm...care to explain how the Ipod classic is in any way better than the Zune? Love to hear it...

Old 08-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

I have a feeling RD is referring to the iPod Touch.
Regardless, now that the Zune offers gapless playback, it is more subjective of which DAP is better. Some people prefer the Classic to its simplicity, while other people prefer the Zune because of its added features and SQ.

IMO the only area where the Classic trouces the Zune is for added accessories. Other than that, I consider it a dead heat.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

you can't bring the Touch into it. The Zune and the touch are two different animals...anyone with half a brain knows that...hell, why don't we compare the Zune80 with the nanos...that makes sense right?

Old 08-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Well let's see...
Both the Zune and Touch have a larger viewing screen than the Classic. Both the Zune and Touch has Wi-Fi built in, (But the Zune's Wi-Fi is on a smaller scale) I think Microsoft is going to further exploit the Wi-Fi, thus making it even closer to the Touch in this area.The Classic, as well as the iPod with Video, were never touted to be full video players, where the Zune is advertised as such. So is the Apple Touch. To me the Zune is a bit closer (Minus the squircle) to the Touch than to the Classic.

Regardless, if Microsoft wants to make the Zune a hit, IMO there is one major area missing: Dedicated Zune stores where a person can visit, browse Zune accessories, and ask and seek out an expert when a problem arises. Ipod owners have this available, where they ask a genius when there are issues with their players. Microsoft has the pockets to open these type of stores, and I think this will cement the Zune as a major payer in the DAP market.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Man, just get an EQ on board and up the batt life a wee bit - then it's a perfect player IMO. Even I wouldn't be waiting for the touch V2 to come out. Only 2 feature I'm wanting in the Zune's ATM.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
Man, just get an EQ on board and up the batt life a wee bit - then it's a perfect player IMO. ...
Give it msc or rockbox and I might be in

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 08-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

the screen wasn't made bigger to compete with the touch though, it was bigger to BEAT the classic, which is what it does...make no mistake...the features of the Zune may seem to try to rival the Touch, but they were developed to beat the classic...the classic is it's direct competitor...MS has no entry in the Touch segment yet...

Old 08-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Key word is "yet"!!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

that's why I used it...

Old 08-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Banned

http://www.zunethoughts.com/news/sho...knew-that.html
Quote:
Not much to see here, but I just got word from Zune team member Cesar Menendez (of Zune Insider fame) that the 120 GB Zune we saw in the FCC docs is official:
"You've probably all seen about 120GB @the FCC- and just wanted to send you a note to confirm that is indeed part of the plan. There's definitely more details coming in the way of new software and hardware, pricing etc."
So we know it's coming, and it's real. The mention of new software, hardware, and pricing sounds interesting! Let's see what next couple of months will bring...