android
Old 07-07-2008, 11:24 AM

Default Keeping 504 connected to AC power

I don't use my 504 very often, so I have it hooked up to the travel adapter most of the time. I contacted Archos support to ask if I should disconnect the device from AC power if the battery is fully charged and the device is not being used. I was wondering if leaving it connected all the time would affect battery life or be bad for the device in other ways.

The answer I got surprised me. They claim that you cannot overcharge the battery, but "charging the unit constantly will significantly reduce the battery life (in terms of charge cycles). [...] You do not want to charge the unit unless it needs it. When the unit is off it doesn't use any power so you should need to charge it when the battery is fully charged anyways."

I find this hard to believe. How can battery charge cycles be affected if there are no charge cycles (in other words, when the battery remains full all the time)? Is it really true that I should disconnect the device from AC power if the battery is full and the device is not being used?

Ron

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]