android
Old 07-02-2008, 12:42 AM

Default Mystery music on new clip?

Hi. Hopefully this is not a repeat. No questions here... just something some of you might get a kick out of.

I just upgraded *cough* http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29131 *cough* to a 4GB Clip. I also got a pair of ep-630's... I'll be upgrading those in a few months too.

- I plugged it in to charge
- Mounted it (using Linux here)
- Copied on the new firmware
- Poked around... nothing but an empty directory structure... Linux shows 4GB free
- Let it finish charging, unplugged and the firmware updated
- Unplugged, came home from work.
- Plugged into home PC
- Copied on two ogg formated audio books
- Verified they played, then went to dinner

Here comes the fun part.

- I come home, go to the music menu, and browse all songs
- There are more songs there than just the audio books
- I can listen to the songs... but I can not figure out where they came from since I only copied on the audio books
- I plug it back into my PC and list all the files on the entire device, and there are only the audio books I uploaded

WEIRD! Maybe they were 'deleted' so that the Linux vfat driver does not see them (just the meta data was removed), but the clips vfat driver still picks them up. I know with flash memory for digital cameras that use vfat, you can 'undelete' pictures after you delete them. This could be the same thing.

I bought this through amazon since they had it the cheapest two weeks ago... I doubt I got a used one especially since the few songs covered a wide range of genres from really unknown artists. Maybe these were left over from testing? I should go look in the Sansa forums to see if anyone else has seen this.

Now to figure out how to make playlists and add id3 tags to my audio books.

M.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-02-2008, 09:51 AM

If you got a new Clip, then chances are that the songs that you saw are the pre-loaded songs that come with the Clip. If you can't delete it by use of your computer, delete them manually.

I would try putting other songs in there just in case, see if they're still visible . Had the same problem with my Clip when I got it. Oddly enough, putting another song allowed the ones on the clip to become visible..

I'm not much of a playlist player, however, I do know you can use great (and free ) programs such as MP3tag. I believe most music playing programs (WinAMP, WMP11, MediaMonkey, etc) all allow you to tag your music. MP3tag has proved easiest, and quickest, for me to date though.

Enjoy your clip, I know I have

Old 07-02-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonLives View Post
I'm not much of a playlist player, however, I do know you can use great (and free ) programs such as MP3tag. I believe most music playing programs (WinAMP, WMP11, MediaMonkey, etc) all allow you to tag your music. MP3tag has proved easiest, and quickest, for me to date though.

Enjoy your clip, I know I have
I was able to run MP3tag under wine in Linux without any problems. It is fantastic. There was one 'problem'. It does not put the ID3 tags onto oggs... it leaves/edits/creates the 'vorbis comment' field, which has all the same information. The clip does not yet read the vorbis comment. . I could swear a couple years ago I saw an ID3 tag on oggs... I'll poke around in the next few days to see if I can do that.

*edit* Correction! The clip does read vorbis comments! I was just not paying close enough attention. Some of my tags are really dumb... *edit*

M.

Last edited by MartinL; 07-02-2008 at 11:11 AM.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:06 AM

The pre-loaded songs were added under MTP mode. When connected to a computer you can only see content that was added under the current connection mode. Since you're using Linux, I assume you are using MSC mode, so you won't see files added under MTP mode. The player itself can see all files.

If you can't connect under MTP mode, you can just delete the files from the player's menus.

As for playlists, m3u playlists work great. Just a couple issues:
1) Paths in the playlist have to be relative to the location of the playlist file and need to use Windows style backslashes. In other words, if the playlist is in the root of the player, the paths would look like MUSIC\SomeArtist\SomeAlbum\SomeSong.mp3. If the playlist is in the MUSIC folder the paths would look like SomeArtist\SomeAlbum\SomeSong.mp3.
2) The playlist needs to be a standard ASCII/DOS file with CRLF line separators. Linux would typically default to Unicode with LF only.

Also, I think Sandisk is working on the Ogg tag issue so vorbis comments should be supported soon. Also, FLAC support was announced for the Clip and Fuze!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
If you can't connect under MTP mode, you can just delete the files from the player's menus.

As for playlists, m3u playlists work great. Just a couple issues:
1) Paths in the playlist have to be relative to the location of the playlist file and need to use Windows style backslashes. In other words, if the playlist is in the root of the player, the paths would look like MUSIC\SomeArtist\SomeAlbum\SomeSong.mp3. If the playlist is in the MUSIC folder the paths would look like SomeArtist\SomeAlbum\SomeSong.mp3.
2) The playlist needs to be a standard ASCII/DOS file with CRLF line separators. Linux would typically default to Unicode with LF only.

Also, I think Sandisk is working on the Ogg tag issue so vorbis comments should be supported soon. Also, FLAC support was announced for the Clip and Fuze!
I just has the clip format itself and they disappeared.

So, I edited my post above. It does look like the vorbis comments are read. My audio book... the tag for the book is different form the directory. In the display on the clip, the book is listed as it is stored in the tag. So maybe it works... at least partially.

The playlist... all created with mp3tag under wine. I tried non audio book oggs in a playlist created with mp3tag and the playlist worked great. It seems like it is some interaction with the audiobook tag (my audio books show up under the audio book selection but are out of order... so I want to use the playlist instead of copying them to the clip in the order I want them to show up... someone else had the ordering problem and a playlist solved it for them).

I posted this last one in the sansa forums... maybe I'll get a response?

Thanks for all the help! I love this site!

Old 07-03-2008, 12:17 AM

Well... figured out a work around the audiobook playlist 'problem'

The work around was to just remove the Audiobook tag and put the tracks with the playlist into the music directory. Then I just go to the playlist option under the music menu and it all works.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:25 AM

Playback order depends on the track number, so make sure your Track tags are correct. Otherwise it falls back on the title.