android
Old 06-30-2008, 08:01 AM

Default How much SD memory can I add to the 2gb D2?

Hi everyone I've just joined the forum in need for quick information - Dont worry im not using you, I'll stick around the forum once Ive asked this question

Just need to know what the max, if any, expansion can be added to the 2gb D2

Seems to me that it would be cheeper to buy the 2gb version for 59.99 and add a 8gb normal SD card for music than it would be to buy the 4gb version :/

There must be a flaw in my plan... if not then im ordering one today!

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/...dkgmltsq1pmu35

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The max sdhc card you can use is 32gb (the largest available ATM). The 1 issue that you may have is the files are limited to 4000. If you use low bit rate encoding you'll max out the D2. Otherwise, there is no flaws in your logic. Start shopping my friend and WELCOME TO ABi!!!

Old 06-30-2008, 11:04 AM

Just to add to what nywytboy68 said. When using an sdcard instead of the D2's internal memory, there is a battery life penalty.
I have not tested to see how big is the lose but there are reports of up to 40%. Just take it into consideration...

Last edited by VCVC; 06-30-2008 at 11:26 AM.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCVC View Post
Just to add to what nywytboy68 said. When using an sdcard instead of the D2's internal memory, there is a battery life penalty.
I have not tested to see how big is the lose but there are reports of up to 40%. Just take it into consideration...
The most I've lost is approximately 10-15hrs - that's great considering it's got 52hrs total and it was a combo of about 5+ hrs of vids. But it does use a bit extra juice.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
The most I've lost is approximately 10-15hrs - that's great considering it's got 52hrs total and it was a combo of about 5+ hrs of vids. But it does use a bit extra juice.
I agree, the D2's high battery life (although 52h is not a real life scenario) compensates for the sd card power consumption. I use an 8gb card myself and cant really complain about battery life issues, although I do feel a decrease since I started to use it. but if I would be in the OP situation, this info could have made an impact on my decision - what D2 + SD card combination to buy.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:02 PM

I tested it myself with music and my battery life decreased by around 10%, with 192kbps CBR WMA's... meh. I would use vbr mp3's or .ogg's if I could get lossless tracks, trust me. xD

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 06-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

VBR mp3's for me!!!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:22 PM

One other issue you have to factor in is that with the current firmware (2.57) you can only create playlists out of the music on internal storage in MTP mode. So, if you are fond of playlists like me, better get the highest internal memory capacity you can afford. I am not talking here about the DPL or Dynamic playlist you can only create on the player itself.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:40 AM

Moreover, Booting takes (very) little longer and access to SD card is slower than internal memory.

However from my perspective these are meaningless issues.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
The max sdhc card you can use is 32gb (the largest available ATM). The 1 issue that you may have is the files are limited to 4000. If you use low bit rate encoding you'll max out the D2. Otherwise, there is no flaws in your logic. Start shopping my friend and WELCOME TO ABi!!!
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. What does this mean in layman's terms? Limited to 4000? Low bit rate encoding? These questions, I'm sure are funny ones, but I pretty much can't speak this language. : )

Old 07-02-2008, 10:35 PM

The D2 can only read a maximum of 4000 files and 4000 folders on internal and external memory, so if you have a lot of smaller files (low bitrate) you will run out of files before you run out of space.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 07-03-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenodius View Post
The D2 can only read a maximum of 4000 files and 4000 folders on internal and external memory, so if you have a lot of smaller files (low bitrate) you will run out of files before you run out of space.
That's 4000 files and 4000 folders on the internal memory and 4000 files and 4000 folders on the external memory for a total of 8000 of each in total. It's a huge amount of files. If I were the OP I would get a 4GB D2 and a 16GB Transcend SD card for a grand total of about $230 before tax and shipping.
Phonak Audeo PFE 111 (White), Sennheiser PX100 (Travel Purposes), Koss KSC-75 (Eh... Too Plingy)

Old 07-03-2008, 09:24 AM

Thanks!
Okay, so 20GB can hold 8000 files and folders? But what you're saying is that getting a 32GB SD card could be useless because let's say it holds up to 10,000 files and folders, but the D2 can only read 8000 of them. So why not get two or three smaller cards, one for movies and one for music and just swap them out?

Old 07-03-2008, 09:28 AM

No, the current firmware supports 4000 files on the SD card (and 4000 internally, thus 8000 all in all).

FWIW, I have a completely filled 8GB card in my D2, and it has about 1200 files on them - most are music at LAME -v0 quality, but also some audio books with lots of tiny files.

So a file limit of 4000 seems reasonable for a 16GB card - but a 32GB card might only be useful at the moment with big lossless files, or movies. Maybe a future firmware will up the limit some more.