android
Old 06-29-2008, 05:30 PM

Default Fuze or clip?

I am looking to buy a new DAP I currently have a 30 gig ipod video, I am no longer satisfied by it and am getting frustrated with its ease of use outside of Itunes (I use Winamp now) and i am considering the fuze and the clip. I am not interested in video features so which is better? (i would most likely get the 4 gig clip, not sure what capa. i would get in fuze with the sdhc slot)

thanks in advance

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

if you need more than 4GB, or more than 15 hours battery, then the fuze. otherwise you might as wel get the clip to save pocket space. If its your main player i'd think a good while on capacity though, you might find 4GB a lot now but not necessarily in the future

Old 06-30-2008, 01:28 AM

LOL Dude!! I just sold my 30GB iPod Video ! xD I got tired of mine also, and what bothered me the most was iTunes Dx I started researching on mp3 players, and I was looking for ones with expandable memory and so I saw the Zen but the expandable memory isn't fully integrated with the player so like...what's the point of an expandable memory you know? I then got to the Fuze and from my reserach it seems like a descent player. I might not reccomend the Clip because since you use the iPod Video you might be use to pics and vids, so go with the Fuze.

BTW i'm just wondering about your iPod Video.... how much of that 30GB did you use anyways? I barely used 4GB of music. So it was a real waste. But incase I use more then 4GB i'm buying the Fuze to expand the memory.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3ndetta View Post
LOL Dude!! I just sold my 30GB iPod Video ! xD I got tired of mine also, and what bothered me the most was iTunes Dx I started researching on mp3 players, and I was looking for ones with expandable memory and so I saw the Zen but the expandable memory isn't fully integrated with the player so like...what's the point of an expandable memory you know? I then got to the Fuze and from my reserach it seems like a descent player. I might not reccomend the Clip because since you use the iPod Video you might be use to pics and vids, so go with the Fuze.

BTW i'm just wondering about your iPod Video.... how much of that 30GB did you use anyways? I barely used 4GB of music. So it was a real waste. But incase I use more then 4GB i'm buying the Fuze to expand the memory.
and theres the rub. I listen to alot of podcasts and have easily 40gigs of audio, however i only ACTUALLY listen to a fraction of the music.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:44 AM

I own both players you're interested in. Both models have distinct advantages and disadvantages depending on your listening habits.

What is your budget? Do you use your player more for exercise or just personal listening? Is battery life important? What music format (mp3, wma, ogg, flac) do you use most? How much memory do you think is enough for your needs, and how important is it that that memory be expandable? Do you leave your player on shuffle more than you like to surf for specific albums?

Answering these questions will go a long way in helping you make your decision. I guess that's a long-winded way of saying "They're both good, depending on what you need."
Sansa Clip 2GB
Sansa Fuze 8GB

Old 07-01-2008, 11:55 AM

Memory won't matter for the Fuze , if you need more memory just expand it with a microSD

Old 07-04-2008, 09:08 AM

^
Trust me, memory matters with the Fuze (I won't hijack this thread to discuss the inconvenience of carrying around a bunch of microSDHC cards though).

Dansinlobster, Cptnodegard's advice is correct, and I can personally attest to the fact that both players are really quality purchases. Weigh the pros and cons carefully, and I'm sure you will be happy with your new player.
Sansa Clip 2GB
Sansa Fuze 8GB

Old 07-05-2008, 04:50 PM

I find myself hitting random more and more and listening to quite a few things I don't always listen to. It's the one nice thing about having as much capacity as possible. The more access you have to variety, the more likely you are to listen to it as opposed to it sitting on your PC. You'd probably be surprised what you enjoy listening to if it just played randomly once in awhile and then ends up getting added to some playlist. I ditched my 4gb Clip and will probably get the 8gb Fuze. Though I'm biding my time with my 8gb Carbon in case something else comes out. Keep thinking about the D2 and the fact I can get a 32gb card for $120.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
I find myself hitting random more and more and listening to quite a few things I don't always listen to. It's the one nice thing about having as much capacity as possible. The more access you have to variety, the more likely you are to listen to it as opposed to it sitting on your PC. You'd probably be surprised what you enjoy listening to if it just played randomly once in awhile and then ends up getting added to some playlist. I ditched my 4gb Clip and will probably get the 8gb Fuze. Though I'm biding my time with my 8gb Carbon in case something else comes out. Keep thinking about the D2 and the fact I can get a 32gb card for $120.
sorry but whats a carbon? I'm unfamiliar with it. also you make a good point. and really the only thing keeping me from immediately buying the clip is the lack of an sd slot.
thanks for all the advice, I may even go with a zen player or a zune, (i would only go for a zune if I can get confirmation on zalternator enabling winamp use though)

Old 07-07-2008, 10:25 PM

the small gig zunes didn't really impress me though I do like my 80gb one. Dealing with the zune software hasn't been an issue since I don't use the software much, only when I'm adding new music. Though if I had a small gig one, i'm sure I'd be going back and forth more.

The Carbon is the old Rio Carbon. A very nice microdrive based player. I popped in an 8gb microdrive and have been using it while I figure out what to get. And I'm still waiting on the return of my 2gb one from a company that was going to try and waterproof it. I tried to put a 16gb CF card in the Carbon, but the firmware didn't like anything above 8gigs. I have a Zen Micro where the 16gb card works great, and I'd probably be happy with it, but I scraped the card connectors and just didn't feel like toying with something anymore.

I only want the small player for music, and a clip with a microSD slot would be the dream. But I suppose that is just too much to ask for. That makes me turn to the fuze. The Cowon D2 looks interesting, but it seems more than I'd need. With a 32gb SD card being $120, it seems like an interesting way to get a big gig flash player for more of my 256 to 320kb music.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
the small gig zunes didn't really impress me though I do like my 80gb one. Dealing with the zune software hasn't been an issue since I don't use the software much, only when I'm adding new music. Though if I had a small gig one, i'm sure I'd be going back and forth more.

The Carbon is the old Rio Carbon. A very nice microdrive based player. I popped in an 8gb microdrive and have been using it while I figure out what to get. And I'm still waiting on the return of my 2gb one from a company that was going to try and waterproof it. I tried to put a 16gb CF card in the Carbon, but the firmware didn't like anything above 8gigs. I have a Zen Micro where the 16gb card works great, and I'd probably be happy with it, but I scraped the card connectors and just didn't feel like toying with something anymore.

I only want the small player for music, and a clip with a microSD slot would be the dream. But I suppose that is just too much to ask for. That makes me turn to the fuze. The Cowon D2 looks interesting, but it seems more than I'd need. With a 32gb SD card being $120, it seems like an interesting way to get a big gig flash player for more of my 256 to 320kb music.
yup, unfortunately I don't like the UI for the fuze, not the players fault i know but still. hmmmm, looking at myself (figuratively) I feel like im being incredible noncommital.....do all of you take as much time to decide on a new DAP? or am I some crazy person with OCD? and i agree with you completely I never really used video on my Ipod so this new player is completely for music.
again thanks for the advice really appreciate it.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:53 PM

why do you think I'm using my Carbon? I want an expandable Clip. Big gig, music only player. Yet you just get the little non expandable crap for those. I could live with the Fuze, but something keeps me from jumping on it. I even have a $70 credit at Dell that I can use, yet I hold back. So no, you're not OCD.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soft_knee View Post
I own both players you're interested in. Both models have distinct advantages and disadvantages depending on your listening habits.
I've bought a Fuze recently because I heard it has the same sound chip as the Clip which is supposed to be impressive. Now when I compare my Fuze and my old Nano G2, they sound very similar, which is still not very good imo...

With a pair of Shure E4C, I find Fuze has stronger lower mid and overall just slightly warmer, but not as clear as Nano...

Do you mind to compare the sound of the Clip and Fuze and describe results? I really wonder if the Fuze sounds the same as the famous Clip...