android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon D2/D2+

Old 06-27-2008, 06:08 PM

Default get cowon d2 in auguest or wait for d3???

im sort of trouble by seeing if i should get the cowon D2 for my birthday in auguest or wait to get the d3. which hopefully will come out this july or so. i also don't want to spend to much $$$$. but i plan on getting a case invisibleshield,& headphone with it. by the way will the d3 have a sd slot??

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-27-2008, 06:56 PM

What COWON D3?

Old 06-27-2008, 06:59 PM

Don’t hold your breath for the d3, if you want a player in August and it’s not available, move forward with the d2 it’s a great player. Even though I really like cowon players, they are notorious for not getting their new products to market on a timely bases. btw, AFAIK it's still a rumor.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-27-2008, 08:09 PM

Get the D2.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Don’t hold your breath for the d3, if you want a player in August and it’s not available, move forward with the d2 it’s a great player. Even though I really like cowon players, they are notorious for not getting their new products to market on a timely bases. btw, AFAIK it's still a rumor.
oh okay that really helped. i guess i'll probably get the d2 in auguest if there isn't a d3 i also bet that it would be quit expensive or somethign like that. and by the way how many hours of video can the 4gb,8gb,etc hold and how many songs.i do know there is and sd slot but i just want to make sure. im also planning on getting the hardshell case from jetmall and the invisible shield from zagg. do you think if i put the invishield on and than the hard case would it fit?
thanks a bunch

Old 06-27-2008, 08:57 PM

I would get a $2 screen protector from Dealextreme and leave it at that, the D2's matte plastic is quite durable, as long as you don't seriously abuse it (dirt/dust, drop it a lot, throw it around) then you'll be fine.

As for how much each size can hold, that depends on the bitrate of your movies/songs. Generally, I think people average it to 500 songs/gb, assuming 3 minute songs at 128kbps. As for video, you'll have to convert it to the D2's screen size/a sane bitrate first before you can see how big it'll be.

I would get the 8gb or 16gb, and expand only if you have to. If you expand, I would expand to a 16gb card since they are by far the best value.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 06-27-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenodius View Post
I would get a $2 screen protector from Dealextreme and leave it at that, the D2's matte plastic is quite durable, as long as you don't seriously abuse it (dirt/dust, drop it a lot, throw it around) then you'll be fine.

As for how much each size can hold, that depends on the bitrate of your movies/songs. Generally, I think people average it to 500 songs/gb, assuming 3 minute songs at 128kbps. As for video, you'll have to convert it to the D2's screen size/a sane bitrate first before you can see how big it'll be.

I would get the 8gb or 16gb, and expand only if you have to. If you expand, I would expand to a 16gb card since they are by far the best value.
i can't find the $2 screen protecter but i did find this one
http://www.jetmall.net/index.asp?Pag...ROD&ProdID=359
wouldt this work or be good? this is probably what i would get for the d2
1.http://www.jetmall.net/index.asp?Pag...ROD&ProdID=420
^^^do you think this is fine???
2. http://www.jetmall.net/index.asp?Pag...ROD&ProdID=325
http://www.jetmall.net/index.asp?Pag...ROD&ProdID=361
^^^i really don't know which case to get. which one would be more durable.by the way would the screen protector from jetmall would it be able to stay on if i use any of these cases?

thats most of it please tell my what you think

Old 06-27-2008, 10:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Go D2 as the D3 seems more like a fantasy as the days go by. And I'm with xenodius - get a screen protector when you get it as insurance against scratches. I have a i-nique leather case and a screen protector - gotta' keep it pristine!!!!

PS: I like the zCover echo Original ICE for COWON D2, No belt/armband clip

Old 06-27-2008, 10:35 PM

If you have patience, and don't really need the Cowon D2 too badly, then I'd recommend waiting. That's what I'm doing myself.....

I'm waiting until January next year, and decide.

Besides, even if the D3 never comes out, the price of D2 should be quite a bit cheaper by then.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:08 PM

Default How many hours of video on 8gb sd card?

well does anyone know if i could fit 30 or more hours of videos on a 8gb sd card for a cowon d2? and by the way i anyone knows how many hours of video could i put in a 8gb to make it full

Old 06-28-2008, 03:39 PM

Fixed your topic title to something more descriptive...

I convert 22 minute TV show episodes at a bitrate of 500kbps with the XviD video codec (and 128kbps MP3 audio) - that is about 100MB per episode. Do the math.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That's a long time to wait and the D2 price RARELY drops, and if it does, it's minimal. If you can wait it out then do it, but it's really not worth it (IMO). Get your player and ENJOY!!!

Old 06-28-2008, 05:52 PM

Default which cowon d2

i'm like struggling to choose which d2 i'm going to get from www.Jetmall.net. its either the Cowon D2 16GB with no extra accessorys what so ever for 239.99 or the Cowon D2 with a Leather Case and 8GB SD Card. just to let you know i'm going to put at least 1000 songs most and at the least 30 or more hours of video in my d2. do you guys think that 16GB will be enough?

thanks to all of you that help

Old 06-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Go with the 16gb D2 and get the accessories L8R!!! I'd still splurge on a case myself, but it's better to get the higher capacity player if your gonna' need the space eventually (IMO). That extra 8gbs comes in handy, regardless of sd cards.

Old 06-28-2008, 06:10 PM

2nd ^^^

Old 06-28-2008, 06:27 PM

Yeah, seriously, I waited 2 months for the D2's price to drop while I sold my Sansa (Money was no issue, but I didn't want to spend what I didn't have to) and it dropped $20 two days after I ordered from Newegg. Otherwise, the price didn't change over the 2 months a single penny.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 06-28-2008, 07:19 PM

What D3? Who gave you the idea such a thing exists? There is no D3... it's the same as waiting for the 7th (or 8th) generation iPod...

Old 06-28-2008, 08:09 PM

This little rumor... which must be treated as a rumor, but is a sign of Cowon's intentions regardless.

Quote:
While talking with some of the Cowon reps at CES 2008 I was tipped off to the D3 while inquiring about supported video resolution on the D2. I asked if there were any plans the D2 would ever support video resolutions above 320x240. He said no, but the D3 might. The rep then gave me three pieces of information- the D3 will be smaller, slimmer, and out in 6 months. “Out in 6 months” is not very clear since this could mean out in Korea in 6 months or announced in 6 months. The US may see it 6 to 12 months in those terms.
Last year I was told that they had no plans to release the Q5 to the US and they did. There could have been a change of plans or there could have been a miscommunication in that it would not be Q5 in the US but a Q5W. That said I would take the D3 news rumor, but a very plausible rumor since it came from the mouths of Cowon.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:10 PM

I know about that rumor.. no need to spread it any further - we got enough threads like these as it is.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
What D3? Who gave you the idea such a thing exists? There is no D3... it's the same as waiting for the 7th (or 8th) generation iPod...
I'd rather dream bout x7 or x8 iAudio