android
Old 06-26-2008, 11:46 AM

Default Will Rockbox handle the new 8 GB micro SDHC?

I read where it will handle larger than the 2 GB limit imposed by the original Sansa software, but haven't seen anything on a limit. 8 GB...16 GB?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-26-2008, 12:31 PM

I've been using 8gb cards with no problems for the last couple of months. 16gb cards should work in theory, but they haven't been released so no one's confirmed. I'll probably try when they're reasonably priced.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Rockbox Developer

Rockbox should work with all MicroSDHC cards, it's a simple as that. As long as they fit the spec, they should be fine. If they aren't, something unexpected has happened.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:13 PM

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm ordering an 8 GB card for movies. I'll be able to fit approx 10 full length movies on one chip. WOOHOO!

Old 06-26-2008, 04:45 PM

I have a Sandisk 8Gb MicroSDHC (Class 4) plugged in my Sansa e270 (v1, running RockBox) and works very well. It handles 14Gb of total storage very well.
Sennheiser CX300

Old 06-26-2008, 09:26 PM

I would appreciate suggestions of 4GB or 8GB microSDHC cards that are known to work with Rockbox on the e200.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyramax View Post
I would appreciate suggestions of 4GB or 8GB microSDHC cards that are known to work with Rockbox on the e200.
I have 8gb cards by Adata and Sandisk - and both work great with my Rockboxed e280.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:43 AM

i just bought a 4gb but plan to buy more cards as they come down in price.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloLoco View Post
I have 8gb cards by Adata and Sandisk - and both work great with my Rockboxed e280.
Can you tell me if this card will work or not? I have the e280 as well. TIA.
http://www.meritline.com/adata-8gb-m...rd-class4.html

h

Old 07-06-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
Can you tell me if this card will work or not? I have the e280 as well. TIA.
http://www.meritline.com/adata-8gb-m...rd-class4.html

h
I don't understand why you're asking me to repeat myself? I already said I have an 8gb Adata card, and that's the only one they make. It's in my rockboxed e280 right now and works great.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:08 PM

I just bought another one of these for my music http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microS...5903990&sr=8-1

I prefer to buy Sandisk than Adata, but thats just me.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:58 AM

Thanks rich_l

Old 07-14-2008, 10:53 AM

Be careful, I'm fairly certain that link is to a fake Sandisk card! They're regularly pirated, and it's easier to buy a fake online than a legitimate one. At this point, I'd only buy a Sandisk if it was directly from a major retailer - IE directly from Amazon or Buy.com instead of a marketplace seller.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:12 AM

I just wanted to add that you can find info on pirated Sandisks all over the place online. The bad ones you spot immediately, if not by the package - by actually trying to put 8gb of data on and failing. The good pirated cards may only show up months later when the card corrupts and you try to send it back to Sandisk.

As I mentioned, I've used both genuine Sandisk and Adata cards on my Sansa e280. Both worked great, but I'd much rather have a genuine Adata card than a pirated Sandisk.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:21 PM

I just got the 8GB card from Rhinodate - and put 7.56GB on it.

I guess I'm f'ed

Old 07-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Rockbox Developer

You are aware that's the right amount of space for "8GB" of flash, right? If you read packaging they redefine 8GB so that it means 8,000,000,000 bytes not 8,589,934,592 bytes, which is what your computer will consider a real 8GB.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloLoco View Post
Be careful, I'm fairly certain that link is to a fake Sandisk card! They're regularly pirated, and it's easier to buy a fake online than a legitimate one. At this point, I'd only buy a Sandisk if it was directly from a major retailer - IE directly from Amazon or Buy.com instead of a marketplace seller.
What makes you so sure it's a fake card? I got one of those cards and so far it's been working great. I had to buy it from a marketplace seller--Amazon itself doesn't sell them anymore. If you have any reasons to think this card is fake, I'd like to hear them.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:41 AM

"What makes you so sure it's a fake card? I got one of those cards and so far it's been working great. I had to buy it from a marketplace seller--Amazon itself doesn't sell them anymore. If you have any reasons to think this card is fake, I'd like to hear them."

Primarily the price. Second, the fact that the marketplace sellers aren't listed as official suppliers on Sandisk's site. It's honestly a guess - but I think you'll see what I mean if you do a google search on fraudulent Sandisk microsdhc cards. I researched it thoroughly when I tried to buy a "too cheap to be true" micro card from a buy.com seller. One of the only bad reviews cited that the user tried to return the card to Sandisk after failing, then was told that the card was made from "materials not approved by Sandisk" and was therefore a ripoff. Eventually the review was retracted.

You'll read a lot of those stories online. When a card is definitely proven to be pirated, the seller will claim to have been lied to by their supplier. More often than not, they'll allow the user to keep the card and give a refund to prevent bad reviews.

Your best bet to confirm the card is legit is to contact Sandisk directly. I hope you kept the packaging. To be absolutely sure, I think you'd have to send it to them - since the pirated cards are supposedly getting better and better. You might actually ask the vendor who their supplier is and contact Sandisk to get information.

Seriously, a simple google search will reveal all of this and more. Even if your card works now, the concern is that you might not have warranty support down the line when you need it. Which is why I only buy directly from reputable vendors - I got mine directly from buy.com.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:52 AM

By the way Rich l, the space you cited is correct. Llorean is right, that's no reason to worry. I referred to the fact some cards are "formatted" as 8gb when they're really 4. Your PC will show 8gb until you start filling the card past 4, then the data will invariably be corrupted.

I hope you guys' cards are all legit, I think it might be worth a call to Sandisk to try and verify authenticity. I just read too many bad stories about Sandisk cards online, and actually spoke to a Sandisk rep on the phone before purchasing one at buy.com. I love finding online values, but when a marketplace dealer is selling an often pirated item, not only below the price of the parent website - but below the price of the B & C level competition (Adata), it makes me suspicious more than anything.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:29 PM

Well Pocoloco, if you are saying If it sounds too good to be true, its probably NOT true I gotta agree, but so far so good with Amazon Marketplace sellers. By the way, do you have GOOD reason to trust Buy.com? I have seen enough complaints from Amazon Marketplace sellers about how strict Amazon is with their Marketplace sellers to have some confidence. I just don't have any confidence in Buy.com - but what do I know?

I ordered from Rhinodata, an Amazon Marketplace Seller, a "bulk packaged" 8GB micro card w/adapter - and I got a little plastic case containing an 8GB micro card with full size adapter - just what I expected. What packaging should I send to Sandisk? ;-)

For the price I paid, I don't feel it is worth my time to spend a lot of time on the subject, as long as it starts off working - and the fact that I hear Tony Bennett right now tells me it is working.

Tags
sdhc cards