android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Sony Walkman

Old 06-26-2008, 07:44 AM

Default Software Recommendations (Sony Walkmans)

Hi everyone!

This is my maiden post to these forums so hello to all

My first MP3 player was an iPod and after it got stolen (a blessing in disguise?), I replaced it with with a Sony NW-A1200 walkman which I lovingly refer to as my 'musical bar of soap'. No complaints at all with the unit itself but.. (here it comes)..

Ive been having serious problems with the software. Namely SonicStage - that hateful heap of shit that Sony are surely regretting by now. Everything was working 'relatively' fine with it until one day I thought id transfer more songs across. Bad idea Stevie..

I noticed it was taking it's sweet ass time transferring files and then for reasons unknown, the NW-A1200 and my PC must have shared one uncomfortable data silence too many, as BAM! - I got hit up with some sort of write error in Windows and then I saw my Walkman rebuilding it's database.

You know what it rebuilt it with? 3 of the 10 songs that I had tried to add to my library and nothing else! It had wiped the damn slate clean. Grrrrr!

So before I embark on my journey of restoring my musical bar of soap with my hundreds of melodies, I beseech you all for an alternative to SonicStage that I can use to simply migrate MP3 songs from point A to point B without the process taking the form of a literal crusade and having lil ol me dreading adding more tunes to it down the line in fear of losing them all over again.

Im not fussed if it's a third party / non-Sony program - as long as it's reliable and gets the job done. My NWA-1200 has been wiped and tells me it's hungry for tunes. Please help me feed it's belly

PS: I wasnt sure if this was better placed in the Software section, so I stuck with the Sony thread. I hope that's okay

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

I dont know if there are any alternatives to sonic stage... sony always sold few players because of that application, thats why they swtiched to normal MTP file transfer a few years ago. Maybe time to upgrade the player?

Old 07-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Zune Moderator

Your player is based on a locked down system. A.K.A. There are no alternatives to Sonicstage. Your best bet would to get a new player. Sonicstage is not supported by Sony anymore.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:49 PM

Thanks everyone

I havent had my player for that long so ill bear it out.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:30 PM

yea its too bad.

i use media monkey with my 72x. you can use any software that does the windows portable protocol with the newer walkman

Old 07-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The only program that is compatable with this player is Sonic Stage - PERIOD!!!

Last edited by The DarkSide; 07-06-2008 at 12:47 AM.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:17 PM

Okay. Ive been patient and after 5 hours.. managed to get Sonic Stage installed and working again. Now it takes ridiculously long for the songs to transfer (if at all). After a time, I get an error message saying "Windows - Device Timeout: The specified I/O operation on \Device\Harddisk4\DR8 was not completed before the time-out period expired." - now what in the blue hell does that mean?

Is the HD of the player dying? Is the cable on it's way out?

Im at my wit's end with this thing here and feel I've thrown away my money..

Old 09-02-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
I dont know if there are any alternatives to sonic stage...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
There are no alternatives to Sonicstage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
The only program that is compatable with this player is Sonic Stage - PERIOD!!!
Of course there are alternatives to SonicStage:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...ternatives.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SonicStage#Alternatives
http://www.google.com/search?q=sonicstage+alternatives

Old 09-03-2008, 02:14 AM

I tried MP3 File Manager last night and I have a sneaking suspicion that something is up with the hard drive of the unit itself. The unit isn't detected by the program, yet after a while, it displays the 3 and a half songs on there. Moving songs onto it simply comes up with an error. Using Sonic Stage gives me the error I mentioned above. Looking at the unit itself, the "Connecting" screen doesnt scroll smoothly and just stops and starts every 4 to 5 seconds. Ive used the Initialise Disk command lots of times to no avail. It's picked up by Windows so a faulty cable is out of the picture and I can drag and drop small files and they transfer with ease (large files will not transfer - I get an error message along the lines of the data being too deep or something to that extent). Using any transfer programs is where it seems to choke up for some reason. It's suprising because the unit itself is in pristine condition with no marks or damage at all.

Unfortunately I purchased it via eBay UK as the NW-A1200s arent available down under as far as I know, so I'm going to see if Sony here can take a look at it. Otherwise, it will end up being a sexy paperweight which is a damn shame. When it worked, it did what I needed really well..

Old 09-03-2008, 03:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sorry about the mis-information, as I thought that it was only compatible w/SS. As for the HD failing why don't you change it. I've heard of people doing that w/these models on Head-Fi.org Do a search in the forums there and see what you can come up with. And please, let us know how it goes.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:56 PM

sonic stage device isn't worth repairing.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:59 PM

I've taken the NW-A1200 to a Sony Service Centre and it is indeed a hard drive failure. They want around $300AUD to replace the hard drive, so im afraid that's the end of that debacle.

I'm now in the market for a new player. Im still after a Sony but will definately go for flash based storage this time. Im not fussed about image / video - just want something around 8GB minimum with possible inbuilt radio + a line out port so I can connect it to my micro hi-fi system. Portability is also a concern. I like to run whilst listening to tunes and im not happy with something that's iPod sized - call me fussy. The tiny NW-A1200 was perfect to this end.

Any recommendations would rock my socks..

Old 09-20-2008, 02:04 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

The 8GB S630 should cover all thosecriterias well and theres also a 16GB

Old 09-21-2008, 03:25 AM

Ive searched these out and read that they wont be released till October this year. Is that correct? Any idea as to how much they'll retail for?

Till then, im looking at picking up the NWZ-A818B. Although it has no FM tuner, it sounds like a great replacement to my ill fated NWA-1200. I wont go with another HD based player again. Flash based all the way!

Let me know if anything else apart from 7.5mm thickness is worth holding out for with the S630 / S730 series when compared to the A818's, otherwise ill pick one up tomorrow.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

How about getting a NWZ-S618? It has a FM tuner and the screen is 1.8". I had it and it's a great little player w/fantastic SQ & battery life.

EDIT: I couldn't find a link to the S618 - heres a link for the S718: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman-V...2001049&sr=8-1

Double EDIT: NWZ-A728 - no FM tuner though: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=9447374

Last edited by The DarkSide; 09-21-2008 at 07:49 AM.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:05 AM

For what its worth, I have a 4gig NWZ s616, which I think is also available in 8gig. Its a beautiful little player. Small and light, terrific battery life, stunning screen, and probably most importantly, great sound quality. It works as a drag and drop device AND as MTP with both Windows and Linux. Cant fault it, and over time I have had loads of players, including iPods. This little guy beats them all. It is fussy about video formats though, especially res. Easy to fix. Will post you details if you ever need it, or you coulkd look here: http://www.biggmatt.com/forums/index.php?topic=222.0 I have two, both bought from these guys at incredibly good prices http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-NWZS618SF-8GB-MP3-Player-with-Video-REFURBISHED_W0QQitemZ360090823570QQcmdZViewItem?ha sh=item360090823570&_trkparms=72%3A12|39%3A1|66%3A 2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Sorry for the long URL :-). Both players cannot be distinguished from new, and despatch was very quick.
The first URL is for the Winff site, a great little video converter, free, works great with Windows and Linux.

Last edited by valmorel; 09-22-2008 at 03:16 AM.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimframsauce View Post
yea its too bad.

i use media monkey with my 72x. you can use any software that does the windows portable protocol with the newer walkman
frimfram, with media monkey, can you play the songs and edit the files through media monkey while the player is connected to the computer?

I tried J River, and it syncs the files back and forth fine, but I can't edit the files on the player while it's connected. In itunes, once you connect your device, you can play the songs through the computer. I was wondering if we could do this same (without using WMP). Actually, I don't even know if this is possible with WMP.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:22 PM

I had some errors with the version of SS that came with NW-E107.

The SonicStage 4.0 solved mine problem, maybe you could update you SS and see, if you alreda don't have this one.
But now, a new problem appeared, that i couldn't transfer a playable atrac on the player and only pure mp3 worked, transfered via SS software.
I liked SS. It did what i wanted. more music at ATRAC 105kbps =D

http://www.atraclife.com/downloads/details.php?file=19

Old 11-23-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdisbetter View Post
frimfram, with media monkey, can you play the songs and edit the files through media monkey while the player is connected to the computer?

I tried J River, and it syncs the files back and forth fine, but I can't edit the files on the player while it's connected. In itunes, once you connect your device, you can play the songs through the computer. I was wondering if we could do this same (without using WMP). Actually, I don't even know if this is possible with WMP.
i don't know. i only use media monkey to tag. all i know is it is better to edit things before moving them over to the walkmen. its a slow access device so i wouldn't push it.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimframsauce View Post
i don't know. i only use media monkey to tag. all i know is it is better to edit things before moving them over to the walkmen. its a slow access device so i wouldn't push it.
I agree, as all the Sony players average about 2mbs, and that's slow by today's standards!!!