android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung P2

Old 06-23-2008, 03:36 PM

Default Black spec in the middle of the screen after pocketing

Well I read that some guy put it in his pocket and ended up cracking the screen. Not his fault This is why:

I put mine in my pocket (with no case) and found something weird with the screen when I brought it back out. The touch screen was touching the screen at the center making it seem like there was a droplet of water in between. I pressed the sides (see diagram) and with a pop it separated. Do so gently though so you don't crack the touch screen...do it until the lcd and the touch screen have separated. I believe that the body temperature does something to the screen.
Has this happened to anyone else? I posted this same question on another forum and will post results once received.

Update:
reply from a user at the other site "i dun think body temp has anything to do with it. I remember having the P2 in my pocket in a pair of Black shorts, the temperature there had to be around 40+ degrees celsius easily and my p2 is just fine......"

ATTENTION ALL: I called Samsung customer service and they said that this problem was not normal. They also said that the warranty would not cover it since it was considered physical damage. If yours is new...return it at the store.

Last edited by lumos; 06-25-2008 at 11:42 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-23-2008, 04:09 PM

I don't know about this but I am intrigued. If heat affected it that much it would be a very bad thing. as pockets are where most people put their mp3 players.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:11 PM

Same happened to me after just 2 days. I RMA'ed it and was told that this was not a fault but was normal for a P2. It is being returned to me tomorrow. This is was Advanced MP3 Players in the UK told me

"We have tested your player and have found no fault.
When you press firmly on the screen you can make contact between the layers of the screen, this causes the effect that I believe you have described, it is perfectly normal and will happen on any P2."

Last edited by andyingurnard; 06-23-2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: More info

Old 06-23-2008, 04:13 PM

wow that's bad I wonder why.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:20 PM

I'll keep an eye on it and if it gets any worse I will return it again and demand a replacement. I have only had it 2 days and did not use it much!

Old 06-23-2008, 04:38 PM

Someone should have noticed though, I mean who keeps theirs in their pocket and for how long?

Old 06-23-2008, 05:14 PM

I do w/e i do any yard work which can be up about 2 hours or so and my p2 seems fine for now =/

Old 06-23-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyingurnard View Post
Same happened to me after just 2 days. I RMA'ed it and was told that this was not a fault but was normal for a P2. It is being returned to me tomorrow. This is was Advanced MP3 Players in the UK told me

"We have tested your player and have found no fault.
When you press firmly on the screen you can make contact between the layers of the screen, this causes the effect that I believe you have described, it is perfectly normal and will happen on any P2."
phew .... I thought I was alone. Is it dangerous for the screen? What does Samsung say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
Someone should have noticed though, I mean who keeps theirs in their pocket and for how long?
I kept it 20 minutes....i then took it out of the pants pocket and put it in my shirt's pocket and it still happened. No pressing of the screen just heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestofWest View Post
I do w/e i do any yard work which can be up about 2 hours or so and my p2 seems fine for now =/
Well that would mean that something is wrong with mine.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:40 AM

ATTENTION ALL: I called Samsung customer service and they said that this problem was not normal. They also said that the warranty would not cover it since it was considered physical damage. If yours is new...return it at the store.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:59 PM

Bought my P2 after a week when it was out, so have it a pretty long time alrdy. Never had any problems with it, keep it in my pocket almost every day all day long. Maybe its a bad shipment of P2's?

Old 06-25-2008, 07:43 PM

I've replaced my p2 with another. I'll update you on the state after I pocket it during a whole movie.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:10 AM

Good news though...since i got a new one the screen issue has not happen again.

To anyone who has that issue that I had...go and exchange the player.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:21 AM

ive had mine since december and its never done that before.. and its always in my pocket.. o.o

Old 06-26-2008, 09:29 AM

Mine does that every now and then when it's been in my pocket for a while. I little squeeze on the sides and it pops right back out.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:41 AM

Hey, isn't the black spot an LCD fracture? It happened to my computer screen (LCD) when I got really ticked and punched it.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:30 PM

ouch, word to the wise, don't kick your computer sideways with a CD in the drive....did it once.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:54 PM

I had the same problem with mine, except I didn't put mine in my pocket. Mine was in this pouch I use to carry around around my shoulder, like a messenger bag, I guess, but it's small enough to fit my P2.
I'm not exactly sure if heat causes to happen, but when I had that black speck appear on mine, it was a pretty hot day. I panicked and was afraid something was wrong with it, but then I pressed the sides like you did, and it went away.
A couple of days later, it appeared again, and I think it may have affected the touch screen when I tap on the next song arrow button to skip the song. It skips to the next song, but really quickly, it skipped that one too, so in total, it skipped 2 songs when I only tapped once. It just so happens that the black speck was in the same spot as that button, so I think that speck affected the button?

anyway, I was able to return it since it was still during the 30-day return period, luckily.

Were you able to return yours?

Old 06-29-2008, 10:16 PM

scary.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:53 AM

Your screen cracked on the inside. You know how lcd screen have different layers put together to how images? one of the layers is pretty much ripped and the liquid is dripping out but the other layer keeps it in. This kind of thing happened to my laptop screen. got worse everyday. It still works but the annoyance. arrg. I replaced the screen and now its fixed. To fix your p2 you need a screen replacement. If it still has warranty you can call the service center or if you recently bought it, you maybe able to return it. hoep this helps.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfreak1 View Post
I had the same problem with mine, except I didn't put mine in my pocket. Mine was in this pouch I use to carry around around my shoulder, like a messenger bag, I guess, but it's small enough to fit my P2.
I'm not exactly sure if heat causes to happen, but when I had that black speck appear on mine, it was a pretty hot day. I panicked and was afraid something was wrong with it, but then I pressed the sides like you did, and it went away.
A couple of days later, it appeared again, and I think it may have affected the touch screen when I tap on the next song arrow button to skip the song. It skips to the next song, but really quickly, it skipped that one too, so in total, it skipped 2 songs when I only tapped once. It just so happens that the black speck was in the same spot as that button, so I think that speck affected the button?

anyway, I was able to return it since it was still during the 30-day return period, luckily.

Were you able to return yours?
oh yeah...I had 90 days warranty and it was within the warranty so they gave me a new one.