android
Old 06-23-2008, 07:42 AM

Default Question on Size of Sansa Clip

Good morning. I am seriously thinking of purchasing two of the 4GB Sansa Clips - one for myself, and one for our 15 year old son. Our 15 year old is sold on it. We went to Best Buy yesterday, and he thinks it is pretty cool. He uses it for two things. He uses it to listen to music, and also to listen to music that he is trying to learn to play on his keyboard. He will listen to it several times, and work on it over and over, and before long, he will have learned the music.

For me, however, I am a "little" older, and am concerned about the size of the print. Is there a way to make the print larger? Another concern I have, is the controls. Do any of the adults have trouble with the size of the controls, and their hands or fingers? My problem, is that I really like the size of the unit (and the price, along with the great reviews!). I was thinking about the Fuze, but I must admit that I am very intrigued by the Clip. My only use would be for listening to music. To be honest, I don't truly understand playlists, as half of the time, I know a song only by remembering a few of the words in it, and cannot always remember the whole title! The fact that it is Linux compatible is a real plus for us too. I think that those are the main concerns for me, before I order one from Amazon.com

Oh yes, one last question. Before I order these, I want to make sure that I can get wall chargers and car chargers as well. Do they make them for the Clip?

Thanks SO much for all of your help, I really appreciate it!

Blessings,
Carol

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-23-2008, 07:59 AM

Hello Carol,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
He uses it to listen to music, and also to listen to music that he is trying to learn to play on his keyboard. He will listen to it several times, and work on it over and over, and before long, he will have learned the music.
Just a little advice: the Clip doesn't have A/B repeat, meaning it cannot loop parts within one track. It can only repeat one whole song (or all songs). This might not be a problem for your son, just thought I mention it, though.

Quote:
Is there a way to make the print larger? Another concern I have, is the controls. Do any of the adults have trouble with the size of the controls, and their hands or fingers?
Unfortunately you cannot make the fonts larger. But the screen is rather bright with good contrast, so it might give you no problems.

I have no troubles operating the Clip's buttons at all. They work perfectly fine for an adult's thumb.

Quote:
Before I order these, I want to make sure that I can get wall chargers and car chargers as well. Do they make them for the Clip?
You can use any regular USB wall charger, like this: http://www.amazon.com/Coby-CA-80-Ada...4225897&sr=8-2 Same goes for car chargers, of course.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:47 AM

Awesome! One other thing that occurred to me, of course just after I hit the "post" button, was, can we use this Mp3 in our 2008 Dodge truck, and hook it up to play our music, instead of having a CD changer? We did this with our Creative Micro Zen, that is now several years old.

Both my son and I had the Micro Zen, and now they just don't hold charges any more, but they were really great little Mp3's while they lasted, so we have decided it is time to find new Mp3's for ourselves, without breaking the bank. The Sansa Clip's reviews by users and experts looked very good, and it seems to be packed with great features for the average user. I will pass on to him your comment about looping, and see if it matters in his keyboarding. I appreciate that info.

Thanks,
Carol

Old 06-23-2008, 10:55 AM

I assume you used a cable with a 3.5mm plug for connecting the Zen Micro to the car's stereo? Something like this:

If so, you should have no trouble connecting any player. If you used an USB connection it should work as well.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The only "issue" to be aware of, especially with the 4gb units: they have limited readability outdoors and especially in the sun. It's do-able, but just something to be aware of (as you shield the player with your hands by a pool, trying to read the display).

As to readability size, it's very do-able, even with bifocals ...

Old 06-24-2008, 02:48 AM
Redneck Moderator

Well for starters, that dodge better have a cummins in it.
As for the clip, use the cable DFKT said to use and it should work, I believe even the lowest level of the dodge head units have a aux-in. You can charge your clip and play music off of it at the same time, which is a very nice feature that most mp3 players don't have. I've got fairly large hands(only know 1 person with bigger ones) and I don't have any trouble controlling it.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:59 PM

That's the size of it, with the clip removed (just for shooting the picture). I got a 1GB Zen Stone today, because it was cheap, and I just needed to show how cute they both are.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:01 PM

Oh, absolutely a Cummins!
I want to thank everyone for their comments! You were all instrumental in helping me make my final decision.
I did end up deciding on two 4GB Sansa Clips from Amazon.com. Their price could not be beat at $66.99, and free shipping for me. They are due here on Thursday, and since we live here in the boonies, we usually don't get deliveries until sometimes as late as 8 pm! Now, we are both eager to get them, and play around with them. I have no doubt that our son will figure his out in the span of 5 minutes, and I will still be sitting there, trying to figure it all out for years to come! Oh well, that is what our kids are for, is to help us learn these things, right?
I'll post an update once they arrive!
Blessings,
Carol

Old 06-24-2008, 02:46 PM

In all my excitement I forget to mention that my 2GB Clip is just fantastic. Great sound quality, easy navigating, very decent battery life, and all in such a small cute package. You won't be disappointed! Unless there's something wrong with it.. No, just hold on to the thought of not being disappointed!

Old 06-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

And Carol, if you want something between now and then, here's the Users Guide (a bit out-of-date to the firmware improvements, but nonetheless ...).

Old 06-25-2008, 12:47 PM

Did I miss something, but were you going to put a link in your post?

One other thing. Do most of you put some type of silicone cover on your Clip? I think our son wants a clear one to put on his, but I was sort of hoping they might have a "not too expensive" leather one to put on. Then I was wondering if they are even necessary, I thought I would ask those that actually own them!

Blessings,
Carol

Old 06-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds good. Enjoy your new players.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My fiance, who's been using her Clip during workouts for the past 6 months, keeps it case-free. I've seen some silicone cases at Best Buy (no leather, though i-nique makes this rather pricey and -- IMO -- unattractive one), but I honestly don't feel a case is needed with the Clip, as it's simply so small, light, and durable.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Actually, I like the i-nique case--I think it's classy (but it is pricey for something that small). The silicone cases are available all over, at much less than Best Buy--pcmicrostore is one source, as is ebay (they all seem to be the same case).