android
Old 06-20-2008, 11:59 PM

Default Created a program to zero-index files for you

I got tired of having to manually put a "0" in front of a lot of my tracks so the player would properly display their order. For instance, I'd often see something like:
"Track 1.mp3"
"Track 10.mp3"
"Track 11.mp3"
"Track 2.mp3"

Track 10 would come before Track 2 because 1 comes before 2. Doh! The solution is to rename "Track 2" to
"Track 02".

So like I said I made a small program to do this for you. It renames any mp3 or wma tracks ending in a single digit like "Blah blah track 1.mp3" or "Something something track 1.wma", but leaves double+ digit tracks alone ("Track 12.mp3" --> "Track 12.mp3", for example).

You can download it here: http://www.geocities.com/app_hq/Zero...eroIndexer.zip

You'll need to install the Java Runtime Engine (JRE), which you can get here: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Hope you find it as useful as I have!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-23-2008, 01:07 PM

Please don't take offense, I don't mean to diminish your efforts, but I have to ask... why not just use the Track element of the ID tag to order the tracks?

Ron Moses

Old 06-23-2008, 01:43 PM

No offense meant either, but I'm sure most tag editors will do that. At least Tag&Rename, the one I use does it.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
No offense meant either, but I'm sure most tag editors will do that. At least Tag&Rename, the one I use does it.
Indeed, I would be astonished if there existed a tag editor that did not include the Track element.

Ron Moses

Old 06-26-2008, 12:04 AM

No offense taken! It really only took a few minutes to write (most of the program was rehashed from something else I wrote a while ago).

Can Tag&Rename automatically go through every file in a directory and rename? Can it go through and determine the track number for each file in one pass? Or do you have to go through each file one by one? I wanted something that would take one click and I'd have the whole directory "fixed".

Unfortunately, it appears the Clip doesn't order by filename after all. In fact, the files I renamed to "Track 01.mp3" now ONLY show up in the "Audiobooks" folder. I just verified that if I connect it to my computer, the files are in the "Music" folder, so I don't know why that's happening.

And I find it really annoying how when I'm listening to a song, I can't go back to see what other files are in the folder. I have to click Home->Music->Albums->(my album)->there. Argh!

There are a lot of little things I'm learning I don't like about this player. They could make it so much better with just a little effort. *sigh*

PS: You guys should install Java anyway It's good for you.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpocoloco View Post
Can Tag&Rename automatically go through every file in a directory and rename?
I'm not familiar with that app, but MP3Tag can generate tags based on filenames (and vice-versa, I believe). So if your mp3s are consistently named "01 Title.mp3" you can set it to go through and convert that to tag info.

Ron Moses

Old 06-26-2008, 07:56 AM

Yes, Tag&Rename can go through folders (and also subfolders, if you want) and rename all files in a batch operation. As long as your ID3 tags are correct it's really a one-click affair.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:58 PM

I can vouch for Tag&Rename, it definitely rocks. It's basically MP3Tag on steroids.