android
Old 06-19-2008, 09:49 PM

Default Trying to make playlist, but I'm confused

I'm using firmware v 2.57, what makes things tricky is the fact
that I use the Rhapsody subscription service, and I have 2 .flac albums on my player.

I can't figure which software to use to make playlist, I checked out mediamonkey but I can't figure out how to get Rhapsody, and everything else to sync together.

-Thanks in advance

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-20-2008, 02:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you figure it out then miracles do truly happen. I've only been able to get 1 playlist on my D2 at a time - period. I personally gave up. It's the 1 major flaw that REALLY pisses me off that the D2 possesses!!! Get playlists working and I'll vote ya' for PREZ!!!!

Old 06-20-2008, 08:19 AM

I believe there is another thread on this, and there are a few MTP applications that can supposedly export playlists to the D2 without any problems.

But its impossible in MSC mode. 3.xx firmwares are MSC only, btw.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 06-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

2.57 is MTP by default (same FW I have also). There have been numerous threads dedicated to playlists on the D2 and only 1 or 2 people have gotten them to work. Even after many have followed the same steps they STILL could not duplicate the results. I gave up trying a while ago. Now, back to playing w/my monkey (MediaMonkey that is!!!)

Old 06-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Update - got playlists to work w/J.River Media Jukebox on my baby!!! Only thing is that they ONLY work on the internal memory; not applicable on the SDHC. Looks like I'm gonna' end up sending back the Sony A829 I ordered and get a 16gb D2!!! Means I'll have to sell my 8gb D2 but it's for the BEST!!! Dang,..... I'm SOOOOO HAPPY!!!!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:49 PM

Could you explain how you got them to work using media jukebox please. Is the built in playlist function simply broken and if so, is there any word from Cowon on if they plan to address the issue?

Last edited by kingzfan2000; 06-25-2008 at 07:10 PM.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Just create a playlist and then drag and drop into the player while syncing W/J.River. Like I said though, it only works on the internal memory. And it working GREAT - I LOVE my D2 BABY!!!! I have not a complaint in the world w/it
( well, 1 complaint - wish I had gotten the 16gb D2 !!!).

Old 06-26-2008, 02:59 PM

Default D2 16Gb FW 2.57 plus Winamp 5.53 plus WMP 10.0 work!

Today I finally managed to make playlists on my D2 using MTP mode. I followed what was described by mtycer in his post using Winamp. I had no trouble to get the playlists in my D2, and they all appear now under the playlist menu in ID3. However, this only worked with the internal memory. When I did the same on the external one, the playlists are created but they don't show up later in the D2 menus. If I plug the D2 again to the PC, only the internal memory playlist are displayed, while the external memory ones just disappeared.

The good thing with Winamp is that you don't need to have the music in your PC or download to the D2, it just allows you to make playlists from the tracks already loaded on the D2 internal memory.

One problem I had was with Winamp 5.53 crashing repeatedly in Win XP with no error message after connecting my D2 in MTP mode. This made me look into winamp.com forums and found that this is a known issue and it is related to the drivers installed by windows Media Player 11. I followed the solution proposed, which is to roll back to WMP 10 and it works without a glitch now. Note that WMP 9.0 will not work as the MTP (M4S) drivers are installed from WMP 10.0 on.

My D2 is a 16GB with FW 2.57 factory loaded and I am also using a Transcend 16Gb card. I have around 3000 tracks in each, with only a few hundreds MB free.

Note: One strange thing though: when I switch back to MSC mode and look into the Playlist foder in the player memory, the files are there, with the correct names and .pla extension... but they are all of size 0 bytes!! Any idea where is the playlist info. stored then?

Old 06-26-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
Just create a playlist and then drag and drop into the player while syncing W/J.River. Like I said though, it only works on the internal memory. And it working GREAT - I LOVE my D2 BABY!!!! I have not a complaint in the world w/it
( well, 1 complaint - wish I had gotten the 16gb D2 !!!).
Thanks, but I actually got playlist working last night by just going to my computer>clicking on the D2 icon>clicking on the internal storage icon>right clicking the music folder>and clicking on create playlist and then simply renaming the playlist to whatever name I wanted. Simply right click on the icon of your created playlist and copy it and then paste it to make as many as need. It may sound a little complicated but its really easy.

When you click on the music folder and click create playlist, all music in the folder will be on the playlist so I deleted all of the music off the playlist and copy/pasted the empty playlist and made one playlist with nothing on it to serve as template of sorts. Its really alot easier then Im probably making it sound and it doesnt require any add-on software.