android
Old 06-19-2008, 04:13 PM

Default Zune + UK = ?

At present I own an iriver, and have become increasingly fed up with it. I've had my heart set on a zune for a while now, however I live in the UK. Does anyone live outside America/Canada and own a zune? How much of the software works? How well can I use a zune in my country?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-19-2008, 11:02 PM

I live in Japan, and my 1st-gen Zune and Zune software works just fine. However, I don't use many of the features, such as the marketplace, so I can't tell you whether or how well that works.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:52 AM

I am in the UK, and have just completed my first week with a Zune 80.
The Zune desktop software works fine apart from the Marketplace set up with UK regional settings in Windows (ie managing music database, sync'ing, add podcasts via copying URLs).
You can log in to Zune Marketplace if you change your Windows regional settings to US (in Vista for definate) - it doesn't appear to check whether your Windows Live ID (Passport) is US or not, which means you can browse music/video/podcasts. To buy music/video you appear to need to register with a US address/credit card - though you may be able to get around this, I haven't tried because all the music I buy is from 7digital.com.

Hope this helps, I'll try and answer any other questions you have.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:58 AM

That has helped a bit, thanks. What about Zune social within the UK region? Does that work?

Old 06-23-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikumbob View Post
That has helped a bit, thanks. What about Zune social within the UK region? Does that work?
Haven't really had a chance to play with it much. Certainly seem to be able to browse the preset "friends" in the Zune software, sync and play tracks. Not tried it on the device yet.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:38 PM

I thought of getting a Zune, but I find it annoying that when I go on holiday I will have to get so many transformers and it will become a hassle, not to mention the warranty is void.

Choosing a mp3 player has become a real task lately.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:37 AM

Red face

I've had a for Zune 80 for a few months now in the UK after playing with a friends Zune and have to say I've been really happy with it. The unit itself doesn't come with a power adapter, just the usb cable, but I already had one of these anyway which i used for my old iRiver:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swiss-Travel...7413652&sr=8-4

which comes with a usb adaptor and has worked really well.

With regards to software, I havn't accessed the market place but other than that, it's fine. Also the bbc have started adding zune subscription buttons to all of there podcats which is a real bonus and it works for all the 'uk only' music podcats. Yay us.

The radio works well (once you've adjusted the region settings on the player) and obviously wi-fi is wi-fi pretty much whereever you are so the wireless transfer and syncing between players has worked pretty well. Mostly.

Having said all of that though, official support would be nice... I'm really hoping it comes before the end of 2008!

Old 08-02-2008, 03:46 AM

I hope Australia and UK gets the Zune-maybe a 3rd generation zune later this year, perhaps.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:04 PM

There is/was a Zune hack you can download from the Dark Zune forum which allows you to access your zune social account internationally (ie outside US & CAN) provided you can set up a US/CAN account with a US/CAN email address. My bro lives in the US and set this up for me but I could never set it to work unfortunatly.

I understand from reading other Zune blogs etc. that full social internationally will only come with Zune 3.0 whenever that arrives (2010?) with a full proper global launch, which hasn't happened with Zune 2.0.

Why is the full Zune experience not available worldwide? it is my one major gripe with Microsoft Zune. I can understand their maybe rights issues with the shop but I'm not too bothered about that tbh. I want the social.

As much as I love the hardware and the Zune software on my PC, especially since the BBC have got Zune feeds for their podcasts, I'm itching to get into the whole online community thing and I'm not the only one either in the UK.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:05 PM

Thumb Up

Share this software with all friends here.
rip DVD and convert Video to Zune : http://www.***********/trialware/dow...ffiliate=61806

Old 01-27-2009, 02:55 PM

I've recently been looking at a Zune but have decided against one, seems a bit silly that they force you to use the Zune software for it then it doesnt even fully work unless you live in USA or Canada. Shame as the actual players look really nice

Old 01-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Banned

www.zunethings.co.uk

Guide:
http://forums.thoughtsmedia.com/f5/i...ide-23576.html

Old 01-28-2009, 03:41 PM

Thanks but seems a bit of a hackish way, microsofts loss as I'll just buy an mp3 player from a company that supports the UK