android
Old 06-16-2008, 05:17 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Default Sennheiser CX400

Just got the CX400 in the mail and thought I'd share some first impressions. First of all it seems soooo much more exclusive than the cx300 just from the number of accessories included. Theres the IEMs with U shaped cable of 30 cm, extension cord, cable clip, carry pouch, some rubber carry thingy, and extra tips. The U shape is great and even though the phones are meant for armbands, phone remotes etc with the short cord the extension cable isnt hat annoying. The cable clip is a welcomed accessory as i found the cx300 to be a tad too short for having the player in a pocket as it kept pulling on the cables as i walked.

Sound seems nice, more bassy than the CX300. Need some more play time but for the $35 shipped i paid for them they seem very nice.
Pic:

Last edited by Andreas; 06-16-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-16-2008, 06:57 AM

MORE bassy than the CX300? Is that even possible?

Mabye they will settle down after a few hours...

Old 06-16-2008, 07:28 AM

Congratulations Cptnodegard, hope you enjoy them!

If they’re more bass than the cx300, what’s the mids and highs like? Don’t know your thoughts on the cx300s, but I find mine extremely lacking in highs and the midrange is very muffled. BTW, have they dumped the j style cord yet?

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-16-2008, 11:00 AM

Mids and highs are a bit muffled. Definitely not the best pair of IEms out there, then again I only use IEms for ultra portable use and the cable clip is worth more to me than triple the sound quality would have been

Old 06-16-2008, 11:07 AM

How many hours do the drivers have on them? Your description sounds like they aren't a real upgrade from the CX300? Let's hope that changes...

If it's only about the cable clip, one probably could get that for cheaper, from a cellphone headset or something... Or I could have sent you one from my Mylarones, I don't use that clip anyways.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:33 AM

Only got them today so we'll see. The CX300 isnt exactly thr best sounding phones ever either so, at least big difference from the DT770 which is use 98% of the time i listen to music

Old 06-16-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
.....If it's only about the cable clip, one probably could get that for cheaper, from a cellphone headset or something... Or I could have sent you one from my Mylarones, I don't use that clip anyways.
Heh, I can't imagine using that ... no actually I was using my X3's clip on the se530s to keep those heavey cables from tugging out the iem's (I cliped the Y at the top of the back of coller, before wire goes down inside of T) Haven't tried them on my new ones because the cables are nice and light. But I did notice this weekend while biking that they stick to my back from sweat and I think I'll give it a try.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Hoping you enjoy your new phones.

P.S. I like your new avatar. It's perfect!

Old 06-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

After reading this, they sound almost like the JVC FX33's, but since I do not have the CX400's, I do not know tho.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
... But I did notice this weekend while biking that they stick to my back from sweat and I think I'll give it a try.
Just a warning: I had a pair of Sony EX71 for a long time, and I noticed that after some months usage, on the silicon insulation of the cable on the part that goes over my neck (these are J shape), the rubber started to peel off, like if it was corroded by something. I believe that happens from being in contact with the skin and sweat (don't believe my sweat is particulary strong.. ) and after a year, most of the insulation just fell off. It was a hard work to desolder the cables from the ear cans and install new silicon rubber tubes over the wires, but after this I never had this problem again... so I guess it depends on the quality of the rubber used. Then be warned... but YMMV...

Old 06-16-2008, 01:17 PM

That's a known issue with the awful Sony EX series. My girlfriend's EX51 lasted no longer than 2 months. Luckily, most phones by other companies don't have similar "disintegration" issues. (Of course MylarOnes, Shure SE530, and others are said to have different cable issues, but not spontaneous dissolving of the sleeving.)

Old 06-16-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsin View Post
Just a warning: I had a pair of Sony EX71 for a long time, and I noticed that after some months usage, on the silicon insulation of the cable on the part that goes over my neck (these are J shape), the rubber started to peel off, like if it was corroded by something. I believe that happens from being in contact with the skin and sweat (don't believe my sweat is particulary strong.. ) and after a year, most of the insulation just fell off. It was a hard work to desolder the cables from the ear cans and install new silicon rubber tubes over the wires, but after this I never had this problem again... so I guess it depends on the quality of the rubber used. Then be warned... but YMMV...
Wow! lucky I now have detachable cables which are easily replaced

Old 06-16-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Wow! lucky I now have detachable cables which are easily replaced
Cough (bragging) Cough

Only joking mate

Old 06-17-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
Need some more play time but for the $35 shipped i paid for them they seem very nice.
wow, where did you buy them? for that cheap i'll order em for a back up IEM.

do you have a pair of ep-630's? if so could you give me a comparison between these two? thanks!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:16 PM

Do you think it's possible that good price is due to sennheiser starting to release the ie series (ie6, 7 & 8)?