android
Old 06-18-2008, 12:24 AM

Default Firmware problem

hey all..
just bought a zen w 60gb and while trying to sync files to the unit, it just froze and "Firmware problem" appeared on the screen.

now every time i start the thing it says rebuilding for about 5 minutes and then just goes back to "firmware problem".

ive tried the recovery program and tech support were shithouse.

my computer does not even recognize that the unit is plugged in or even there.

im not that great with computers and stuff so please help with language that a ozzy bogan can understand.

cheers

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Who knows really why it froze.... low battery, connection issue, firmware corruption, etc. Make sure you have a full charge on the battery, a good USB cable, and a USB 2.0 port, and boot the ZVW into Recovery Mode and select the Reload Firmware option and try again. If you continue to get problems, try selecting Cleanup from the Recovery Mode menu to help correct any database problems it may be having and then try reloading the firmware again. If that doesn't help, then try a Format in Recovery Mode to correct any kind of file system problem and try reloading the firmware again. Keep in mind though that a Format will erase all of the files on the ZVW, so use it as a last resort in necessary. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 06-19-2008, 12:35 AM

thanks for the response.
just not sure how to get the unit into recovery mode or cleanup.
how do i do this?
thanks
i dont have any files on the zvw so i dont mind if it clears everything.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sorry about that. I should have explained.... Since you don't have any files on the ZVW follow the steps below:

1. Disconnect the ZVW from the computer.
2. Turn of the ZVW.
3. Remove the battery.
4. Move and hold the power button to the power on position while re-inserting the battery.
5. Hold the Power button until the Recovery Mode menu appears.
6. Select the Format option from the menu.
7. When the format is completed, select Cleanup from the menu of options.
8. Then Restart the ZVW and see if it boots up normally.

If it doesn't or gets a firmware problem message, follow the steps again to boot into Recovery Mode and then select the Reload Firmware option. This will erase any firmware currently loaded or corrupted. After it erases the firmware, it will prompt you to connect it to the computer to execute the firmware installation.

Before booting into Recovery Mode the second time to reload the firmware, download the latest firmware file (HERE: Select the Agree link on the bottom to download) to execute and load onto the ZVW when prompted.

Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 07-27-2008, 07:29 AM

Help Firmware Problem

I have a Zen M 30GB and it's been fine for 2 years. Was moving between songs when it froze. So had to do reset. Once rebuilding had finished had a error on the screen saying "Firmware Problem"!

Did this few times = Still the same.
Connected to PC and looked in Windows Explorer = Not there.

Used the "MP3 Player Recovery Tool" from Creative which did seem to detect the player but when it got to updating the Firmware it says no player connected!

What the Hell am I meant to do with it? Doorstop? Paperweight?

Old 07-27-2008, 08:37 AM

Hi,
Sorry to butt in but same thing with my Vision M 30gb. How do I format?
Can't get rid of "Firmware Problem" from screen?

Last edited by redcow; 07-27-2008 at 08:38 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 07-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The directions (step by step) are just one post above you.

If you are getting the "Firmware Problem" error, you need to load the firmware, not Format:

1. Download the correct and latest firmware for your ZVW from Creative's site.
2. Connect the ZVW to the computer.
3. Execute the downloaded firmware file to install the firmware on the ZVM.

If it doesn't load, then follow everything listed above about booting into Recovery Mode and selecting Reload Firmware before you then connect and execute the downloaded file.

Also, make sure the driver for the ZVW is loading correctly in Device Manager. It be should listed under Portable Devices with no error over it. You should also be able to see it under My Computer as a Portable Device. If you have the Creative software installed, uninstall all of it. It usually causes connection/detection problems when it is installed.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

A severely corrupt file system can corrupt the firmware as well. First boot into Recovery Mode and select a Cleanup from the menu to see if it helps.

You can also try reinstalling the ZVM driver to reset the detection:

With the ZVM connected, double-click on the System icon in Control Panel, choosing the Hardware tab, and clicking Device Manager. Look for the ZVM listing Portable Devices category), right click on the entry and select Uninstall. Disconnect the ZVM from the computer. Wait a minute and then reconnect. The driver should reinstall. Make sure there is no error (no exclamation mark over its listing).<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

If neither above helps, download the latest firmware from Creative's site. Make sure all of the Creative software is uninstalled. Then connect the ZVM and verify that the driver is loading correctly without error in Device manager. If it is, you should see it under My Computer as a Portable Device. Then try executing the downloaded firmware file from Creative to install the firmware on the ZVM.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-27-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
The directions (step by step) are just one post above you.

If you are getting the "Firmware Problem" error, you need to load the firmware, not Format:

1. Download the correct and latest firmware for your ZVW from Creative's site.
2. Connect the ZVW to the computer.
3. Execute the downloaded firmware file to install the firmware on the ZVM.

If it doesn't load, then follow everything listed above about booting into Recovery Mode and selecting Reload Firmware before you then connect and execute the downloaded file.

Also, make sure the driver for the ZVW is loading correctly in Device Manager. It be should listed under Portable Devices with no error over it. You should also be able to see it under My Computer as a Portable Device. If you have the Creative software installed, uninstall all of it. It usually causes connection/detection problems when it is installed.
Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Tried all that but still no go. Put on my Laptop which has no Creative Software on it but The Laptop tried to put in as a MTP device? Got error in device manager and not appearing in Windows explorer. How do I format when I can't even get PC to see it?

Last edited by redcow; 07-27-2008 at 11:37 AM. Reason: description

Old 07-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You need to find out why the computer is not loading the driver correctly. What is the error message say in Device Manager for the driver (Double click on it and check under Device Status)? What OS and SP is installed? What version of WMP is installed?

Again, a Format will not resolve a Firmware issue (Firmware Problem). Even if a Format is done (in which you will lose all files on the ZVW), you will most likely still have to reload the firmware. In order to reload the firmware, you need to have a good connection with the computer.

If you ever booted into Recovery Mode, you would see how to Format the ZVW. You cannot format it in Windows. It is not an MSC device, but an MTP device. Meaning it doesn't load it as a srive letter, but as a Portable Device.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-27-2008, 03:53 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the help. Had to Format in the end!!

Oh well that's my work cut out for the next week putting my stuff back on!

Old 07-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. At least you have your files backed-up to be able to reload.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-25-2008, 08:44 PM

Hi
I tried this too. here's what i did:
first off, i originally did the "reload firmware" without knowing what i was doing, so it wasn't connected to the computer to update the firmware. After trying the reboot/recovery mode steps here, I was able to get the computer to detect the player and update the player (it previously didn't do that). After it updated, it reboots but it still comes back with firmware problem, even with teh latest Firmware. I've tried a couple of times but it doesn't stick. Every time I try updating, though, it says that I am updating the same version of firmware, the newest one, except it's not doing anything on my player.
Thanks if you can help!

Edit: I've been trying it a couple more times. This last time though, near the end during the reboot or near the beginning of it, I realized the player was producing noise. As in the screen was dotted gray and red and such. I think I fried it O_O

Last edited by kdeng; 08-25-2008 at 11:40 PM.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello kdeng. Welcome. I would try doing a Format from within Recovery Mode (maybe twice) and then try to reload the firmware again. The Format (or formats) will ensure that the file system is in good shape for the firmware to be installed on.

Keep in mind, doing a Format will erase all off the files that you have installed on your ZVW.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-30-2010, 11:16 AM

hai,
when i reload firwware to my zen vision w, the computer said reload failed,
then i disconnected the zvw, now i can not start my zvw including recovery mode too..
when i turn on, it simply displayed "craetive",,,, Nothing happened,,
any one have the solutioin?????????