android
Old 06-16-2008, 09:43 AM

Default how is it?

OK, so maybe this has already been discussed, but how good is the Sansa e200 "version" of Rockbox? I have it on my iRiver, and it works great, but I used to own an e200 and am tempted to buy a refurb from Woot today if I can hear some pros and cons about the e200 version of Rockbox.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-16-2008, 10:01 AM

Pros:

Loads of em. See here: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=24730

Cons:

USB doesnt work yet, so you have to boot into the original firmware in order to transfer music (which is no big deal IMO) and to charge the player (which is more of a hassle IMO).

Battery life still (AFAIK) slightly worse than the original firmware (but getting better on a regular basis).

Old 06-16-2008, 10:42 AM

If you have an AC adapter for charging, can you charge it?

ALSO- is the sound quality improved with Rockbox on the e200? That's part of the reason I ditched my e260 in the first place..

Thanks.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Rockbox Developer

Sound quality is pretty much a hardware thing, and not really subject to software improvement.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:56 AM

Yeah, Rockbox has just as good (or better) sound quality as the OF

Old 06-16-2008, 12:02 PM

I think the sound quality is actually a helluva lot better on Rockbox because of all the EQ settings you can mess with. Just my opinion.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:02 PM

With better sound quality most people probably mean the better EQ and crossfeed feature on Rockbox.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Rockbox Developer

Ah. Personally, I consider sound quality the actual quality of the sound output by the player. Since everything else is digital, it's all really quality of the audio data you're playing, and things you could do by pre-processing or otherwise on the original firmware.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:37 PM

Right.. The OF only allows so much customization, and I was just wondering if the new firmware allows you to tweak the levels a little better.

Like I said earlier I wasn't overly impressed with the E260's sound quality when I originally owned it, and actually thought that messing with the custom EQ made things sound worse.

Old 06-16-2008, 02:08 PM

I am on my third rockboxed player...my original being an iRiver h320, and then a toshiba gigabeat f40. My sansa is my fav rockbox player. It is soooo small compared to the others. The expandable memory is huge. I took all the files on my 40 gb toshiba and crunched em down to 96kbs ogg files. almost all of em fit on my 8gb micro sdhc and the players memory. I did have to cut out some stuff, but once larger cards are available i will be upgrading it for sure.

I got it from woot last time it was up. Do not hesitate, go for it. If you really must wait, you can't go wrong with an 8gb version of the player. My only regret is not waiting for one (woot had one a few weeks after i jumped on my e260)

I never used the OF, once i got my player i immediately rockboxed it and i never looked back...so i have nothing to compare the sound (except for other rockboxed players) but i have had no complaints so far.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrok View Post
If you have an AC adapter for charging, can you charge it?
No, the AC charger will be providing power over the same pins as the USB connector, so you will still have to boot into the OF to charge.