android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon D2/D2+

Old 06-11-2008, 01:21 PM

Default Media Monkey or D2 Issue, Tags Not Right After Auto Tag

Could not get anything to work out of the box on this gizmo. So I updated to version 2.55 to 2.57. It then properly displayd artist, track, album from a drag and dropped folder that was originally imported with itunes. BTW, I am using windows XP if that is of relevance.

So I then downloaded the latest mediamonkey because I wanted to try to turn my small collection into flac files. After putting cd in drivem I used the look up info to get the track names and so on. Added them at flac 5. Folder structure was set to artist / album. Once in media monkey, I highlighted all the tracks and hit autotag. Autotag shows several options for each cd, so I pick one with cover art imbedded to each file and it seems to update the tracks approriately with the year and song titles from Amazon. So then I highlighted all the music tracks and said synchronize to D2.

Here is the problem now. In the folder view, everything looks right. I see the music folder, then a list of artists, and under each artist are all the albums. However, when i got to each track, the tag for the album name is not correct. It just says "ARTIST=Pink Floyd" on the album, instead of "Dark Side of The Moon". It correctly made a folder structure with the right album name, but the tag from autotag does not seem to display right. It also does not show the album art on the D2. The album art is displayed in media monkey when I click on the same track. This is obviously a problem as if i search my music just by album, I see no albums. Just a list of "ARTIST=" and then fill in the blank of the artist.

Is this a media monkey issue or D2 issue? How can I fix it? Manually edit the tags in MM (how do I do this, and how do I do it to multiple files at once). Or do I need another tagging program just to fix this?

I was going to do the panasonic memory wipe, but decided against it last night. I was afraid it would wipe out all the folders and important files on the D2. Or do I need to do this? Will it wipe out the folder structure if I just run the quick version of the panasonic program? Or does it just eliminate the material INSIDE the folders? Will it wipe important imformation from the system folder?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-12-2008, 01:15 AM

Unhappy More Investigation...

Did some further searching, it appears I am not alone. The D2 just does not read flac tags correctly? I have 2.57 firmware, and my D2 behaves as described above and in the link below. Album is "ARTIST=DAVE MATTHEWS" Instead of actually displaying "Crash" or the true album title. Anyone have a fix for this? I used media monkey to auto tag the files, so I assume they are tagged right.

Beside flac files, I tried to rip an ogg file of the same cd and the album shows correctly on the D2 unlike in the link below. But with either file type flac/ogg, the album art does not show up. When I autotag with mediamonkey, I tell it to save image to tag. And it does not do it.

Whats the point of all this file support on this device if none of them but mp3 actually works right?

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ght=flac+album

Old 06-12-2008, 01:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

This website may be of assistance to you: http://www.iaudiophile.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Old 06-12-2008, 01:38 AM

Further...

It appears mediamonkey is not 100% perfect and does not properly imbed albumart to the tag, hence you must add the album art separate. And you can't call the file "folder", it must be called "cover" for the D2 to recognize it.

So apparently I must download another program like j.river juke box. Is that as recommended as mediamonkey? Or should i use that mp3tagger program to imbed the album art to the tag properly.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...hlight=j.river

Last edited by cmc1978; 06-12-2008 at 01:47 AM.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I use J.River and its great. But, just to save me'self, I only use mp3's on my D2. All the FLAC's I've had were for archiving purposes so I really have no experience with then in such a manner. If you go to the link I listed (iAudiophile) then you will see threads listed there that will help w/the issues you are having. 1 of the mods here (dfkt) is also a senior member on that site.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:46 AM

Thanks already found some good threads. The more I read it appears tags in general just dont seem to work with flac files. I guess I am lucky that artist and year show correctly and that the file even plays. Still disappointing that Cowon advertises the device to support flac despite the fact that it does not 100% like you think it should.