android
Old 06-10-2008, 03:49 PM

Default Is there something I'm missing with video conversion?

So I've tried converting various videos, from episodes of Family Guy to The Fifth Element. No offense to elviselvis but even at the highest quality I find iLove to be a bit lacking in the clarity department compared to JetAudio conversion. Sure it takes up more memory but I have some to spare!

The thing that really bothers me though is the fact that when I convert the videos and watch them at normal size on my laptop or desktop they look fine and relatively digital artifact-free. On the D2, however, you get various areas of artifacts. Some are excusable, such as the lack of detail in dark areas compared to light areas, which is a deficiency in the mpeg codecs.

The one that I despise, though, is that fact that base colors (red, green and blue) and colors primarily consisting of one of these three, such as hot pink, appear rather blocky. Is there a way to fix this? I'd hate for my friends to call me Mr. Blocky McBlockerson!

I've heard something about a deinterlacer improving the quality of video on the D2. Again this artifacting doesn't show up on either of my pc's during playback.
Phonak Audeo PFE 111 (White), Sennheiser PX100 (Travel Purposes), Koss KSC-75 (Eh... Too Plingy)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Try using the JetAudio video converter as I, myself, seem to have the best results with it. And, I did try a few other progs, including a number of other commercial products, with minimal success.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:14 PM

I am using that converter! I've used JetAudio, iLove, and MPlayer/Mencoder, which I couldn't get to work because of all the DOS nonsense. This wouldn't be such a big deal if I didn't watch such colorful shows! Then again, what's the the point of having 24 bit color is you're gonna watch dark, grimy shows and movies?
Phonak Audeo PFE 111 (White), Sennheiser PX100 (Travel Purposes), Koss KSC-75 (Eh... Too Plingy)

Last edited by SansaRulez83; 06-10-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:18 PM

I use MaxST's D2video with Mencoder-- its an extremely fast batch converter with no user interface, just an .ini file and an .exe that you drag/drop files into.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 06-11-2008, 03:50 AM

Alright, I tried MaxST. It was fast but still has the blockiness. Also files larger than 20 min. (previously ripped DVD rip of The Fifth Element) had AV sync issues. I know it's not supposed to have these issues based on what I read but when I skipped around the picture was about half a second behind.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenodius View Post
I use MaxST's D2video with Mencoder-- its an extremely fast batch converter with no user interface, just an .ini file and an .exe that you drag/drop files into.
I tried MaxST's converter too but the convertion took 40 mins longer and the file I got was 150 MB bigger (compared to elviselvis' iLove). I've also tried Arcsoft Media Converter (it's not free tho) and it's par to iLove.
Headphones: Technics RP-HT300 | Panasonic RP-HT202|JVC HA-FX55
Sansa Rockbox Themes: KratoGlass|KratoSky|KratoJet|JetoKrat

Old 06-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lol.... try to set up the .ini file of D2video properly. D2video is by far the fastest encoder I know (after Badak). Also, get an optimized mencoder built for your processor. iLove is one of the slowest I ever tried (after SUPER).

Here's some stopwatch tests I did: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...86&postcount=8 (iLove didn't even work on my XP machine where I tested the other apps, but it was way slower than all other apps on my Win2k machine, except SUPER.)

Old 06-12-2008, 01:36 AM

You know, while JetAudio is slow it produces the best quality for the same bitrate, hands down. From those that I've tried and compared JetAudio > iLove, D2Video.

Plus it has a variable bitrate video conversion option that works awesomely! Compared to the 768k videos I was using I'm getting files that are the exact same quality, sometimes better, at anywhere between 55% to 70% the size of the 768k's. I can wait for quality, dfkt!

Old 06-13-2008, 01:19 AM

I take it that a deinterlacer wouldn't help me when trying to improve the quality of DVD rips and video from the net, would it?

Old 06-13-2008, 03:04 AM
Banned

have u tried http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/ ? its free too.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansaRulez83 View Post
I take it that a deinterlacer wouldn't help me when trying to improve the quality of DVD rips and video from the net, would it?
Interlacing artefacts are only visible in resolutions above 320x240. You don't have to worry about those on the D2's screen since it's less than a quarter of DVD resolution - Meaning, every second line of the video has already been dropped.

This goes for interlaced DVD/TV source material at its native resolution only. If someone already made an improper deinterlaced or IVTC rip there's little one can do about the line/comb artefacts in a further conversion.