android
Old 06-09-2008, 04:51 PM

Default few question about d2

hi, i heard that d2 isn't good player for trance listeners, is it true? if it is, then why? also is it true that Sd card uses too much battery power and reduces its length?
I want to buy this player, maybe next week, i'll see... actually i wanted to buy i7 or sony a829, but this player seems to me very usable then others, and has many features!!!
i'm trance listener.
my headphone: sennheiser hd25-1-2 (70 ohms)
thanks n have a nice day!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-09-2008, 05:08 PM

The D2 should work perfectly fine with HD25-1's - the issue with lower impedance phones is that the bass gets rolled off (like with many other players as well), but you don't have to worry with your high-ish impedance phones. You sure won't have too little bass, especially when you turn on M3B as well, believe you me.

The SD slot might use a little more juice, but you won't notice since the D2's battery lasts a lot longer than most other players anyway. FWIW, I have all my music on a SDHC card, and only videos on the internal memory. My D2 lasts for days when only listening to music.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:26 PM

dfkt, good to know. Thats my plan as well.

Just what exactly is a trance listener?

btw, I am getting my D2 is about 4 days. =D

Old 06-09-2008, 07:27 PM

You know, people sure do talk about bass roll-off a lot. I assume this means that the bass at higher volumes tends to thin out or become distorted. While it's true that the D2 is lacking in bass on factory settings, I've found a very good combination of settings for good, ole bass listening.

EQ
7 0 2 5 5
80 230 850 3.2k 9k

BBE 2
Mach3Bass 5
MP Enhance on

Everything else off.

32 ohm impedance headphones BTW

Also what's the difference between trance and techno?
Phonak Audeo PFE 111 (White), Sennheiser PX100 (Travel Purposes), Koss KSC-75 (Eh... Too Plingy)

Old 06-09-2008, 08:12 PM

The real sub-bass is still rolled off with low impedance phones, you just boost the mid-bass which isn't affected much by the roll-off anyways. Since the EQ's low-shelf center frequency is 80Hz, you can't even reach the affected frequencies. Only higher impedance phones, an impedance adapter, or a headphone amp can fix this. The original poster's HD25-1 shouldn't have these issues at 70 Ohm impedance.

No load, M3B@5:

16 Ohm, M3B@5:

Old 06-09-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoshot View Post
dfkt, good to know. Thats my plan as well.

Just what exactly is a trance listener?

btw, I am getting my D2 is about 4 days. =D
Wikipedia entry on the genre

Old 06-10-2008, 01:49 AM

thank you lads!

Old 06-10-2008, 06:22 AM

ahh thanks roebeet,

Old 06-11-2008, 06:04 AM

just bought it, very happy with it so far! it came with wall charger, bought 2gb version for 80 euro! now, i do like how it sound, question is, if i'll chage or update firmware will sound better!? which firmware is good? if ill update to 3xx can update it to 2xx again? is it possible!? thanks
( btw i just checked in settings about firmware, and it's 2.41 is it good or should i update it to 2.51?

Last edited by benzy; 06-11-2008 at 06:49 AM.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

@benzy: Welcome to ABi and welcome to the D2 family!!! This may help you with the firmware issue: Advantages of 2.XX vs 3.XX firmware! Definitive Thread for Newbies! - http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=30604

Old 06-11-2008, 11:57 AM

thank you nywy!
well my question was, will firmware update change the sound quality or not?

Old 06-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not really, though some claim it does. Seems to be more of a placebo effect if anything. Besides, how do you improve perfection ?

Old 06-11-2008, 01:12 PM

Actually dfkt has done some technical sound test, known as rmaa, and has confirmed that there is a marginal improvement in sound quality with 2.55 over 2.51. I recommend that benzy upgrade to either 2.57 or 3.57. Just read my topic to determine which is a better fit for what you want to do with this player! And enjoy!
Phonak Audeo PFE 111 (White), Sennheiser PX100 (Travel Purposes), Koss KSC-75 (Eh... Too Plingy)

Old 06-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

2.57 is EXCELLENT!!! Sq wise I didn't know that dfkt determined that it sounds better than 2.51. Gotta read your posts me'self !!!

Old 06-11-2008, 02:30 PM

Check out the RMAA section on his website, lots of interesting graphs there. My favorite is still the 16 ohm/16 ohm + headsix/ 300 ohm/ 300 ohm + headsix.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 06-11-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansaRulez83 View Post
Actually dfkt has done some technical sound test, known as rmaa, and has confirmed that there is a marginal improvement in sound quality with 2.55 over 2.51. I recommend that benzy upgrade to either 2.57 or 3.57. Just read my topic to determine which is a better fit for what you want to do with this player! And enjoy!
Nonsense, I never said that - all firmwares sound the same. There is no difference at all. Anything you make out to be different is placebo.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

I think the only "sound" a firmware update can improve are for default EQ settings. Otherwise, as dfkt said, all sound is hardware based.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You mean I actually got it right? YAY!!! Still, the only differences between 2.57 and 3.57 are: 2.57 is MTP and MSC, it doesn't do flash skins. 3.57 is MSC only (Drag&Drop ONLY) and allows for the usage of flash skins.

PS: I think it's safe to say we all recommend everyone upgrade to either 2.57 OR 3.57 as they seem to be 2 of the most stable firmwares Cowon has produced for the D2 - really stable, SOLID!!! Provided you have the correct hardware that is.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The SD slot might use a little more juice, but you won't notice since the D2's battery lasts a lot longer than most other players anyway. FWIW, I have all my music on a SDHC card, and only videos on the internal memory. My D2 lasts for days when only listening to music.
May I ask the reason why you have your music on the SD card? Just personal preference or is it recommended that you do?

Old 06-22-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norlimix View Post
May I ask the reason why you have your music on the SD card? Just personal preference or is it recommended that you do?
I think it's because he doesn't want to lose his music when you updates the firmware. The firmware reformats your player when you update it.

Oh and I'm totally gonna find that post, dfkt! Why else would I reference differences between older firmware? You could've been drunk...