android
Old 06-07-2008, 11:47 AM

Default ue11 Review

by Ramón GL

Disclaimer: As I have stated before in other reviews, I am not an audiophile or in this business, just an enthused listener who enjoys comparing notes.

Do you have a holy grail? … For me it was always the Banzai Pipeline on the North Shore of Oahu. I really didn’t care how I would accomplish my goal; it was just a matter of when I would have the money to “go for it.” Out of college and my first real job I accomplished the goal not once, but twice and yes it was awesome. Given the opportunity I would do it all over again, well Nuff Said about my personal endeavors, let’s talk custom earphones.

Am I saying that the ue11 Pro’s are the holy grail of headphones? Absolutely not, although if we are talking earphones (in-ear monitors) of a sleek small light weight size, great sound quality, perfect custom fit, great build quality for portable use, they are certainly at the top of the food chain today. If you are serious about great audio on the go, are in the audio/portable business or you are a musician they are certainly a serious consideration. But be forewarned, they are certainly not for the frugal minded at heart.

Quick Stats
  • Input Sensitivity: 119db @ 1mw
  • Frequency Response: 10Hz to 16,500 Hz
  • Impedance: 18 Ohms at 1kHz
  • Internal Speaker Configuration: Four (4) proprietary balanced armatures with an integrated three way crossover
  • Noise Isolation: -26dB
  • Input Connector: 1/8" (3.5mm) Gold plated

Custom Earphones
Both the left & right monitors are custom made to fit your ears, so you need to have an audiologist create an open mouth deep ear impression for each ear. Your overall comfort and fit will be determined by the quality of your ear impressions, so this is very important. Although having high viscosity silicone material injected into your ears is an unnatural feeling at first, this is painless, relatively fast and cleans your ears out like never before. For help, Ultimate Ears has an instruction PDF doc for you to give your audiologist on their site and a data base you can search for their recommended audiologist close to your home town. My first impressions were rejected by Ultimate Ears for not being deep enough and not covering the entire out side of my ear, so rather than go for the free impressions like I tried, bite the bullet and use a professional (around $35.00).

I’ll be brief on the build quality as they are custom, which makes the overall quality very good and solid. The design is a sexy low profile, streamlined and sleek looking earphone which eliminates wind noise. From what I have read and my experience with the company over the telephone is that they stand behind their product, I have also spoken with one person that had them refitted due to poor ear impressions taken by his audiologist, with no fault to the manufacture and they made good.

Remember, we are talking customs, so they personalize your carrying case by engraving your name on it and there is a variety of coloring options for the monitor as well as the detachable cables. Currently there are 11 coloring schemes available for the shells, 5 coloring options for the cables and stock (silver "UE" logo) artwork as well as custom artwork available for an added expense. Furthermore, they offer an optional ambient feature, which is a small hole on the outer housing with a rubber plug to close it when not in use, designed to allow you to hear ambient sound. I did not order this feature as it seems like a gimmick to me and I prefer not to hear external sounds while using mine. Thus, I can not comment on the feature, but I can imagine how easy the plugs can be lost.

Included Accessories
Ultimate Ears UE 11 Pro includes a metal carrying case which is large enough to fit my player, amp and the earphones with room to spare. A cleaning tool, which helps you keep your earphones clean. In my opinion, they should also include a second cleaning tool with a longer wire tip, which would allow you to go deeper into the acoustic tubes. Inside the large case is a smaller metal case, which easily fits your earphones and the cleaning tool. This case is more portable than the large one, very durable and easily fits in your pocket.

The cables are detachable for replacement and are Y cables available in either 48 or 66 inch lengths at time of order. Since I ordered the 48 inch cables, this is broken down to approximately 2 inches in the clear tube memory wire from the gold two pin connection plus an additional 9 inches to the Y, with the remaining 37 inches terminating into a gold plated right angled plug. The cable has a memory wire and clear plastic housing to mold over your ear and down the back or front as you may prefer. They are extremely light and can be coiled for packing into a very small compact size. I believe the 48" length I selected is more than enough for portable use.

These cables are well made; I have yet to hear any wind or cable microphonics noise produced by them or the earphones themselves, unless you tap the cable near your ear with your finger. When compared to my Shure se530 cables these appear to be almost half the diameter, a fourth or less of the total weight and no iphone compatible plug, that really upset me about my se530s. They are so thin and light that if they are not properly coiled for storage they can easily tangle. I have to admit; they certainly put some thought into these and produced the cables correctly.

Internal Glance
Inside the earphones custom shell they have a four-driver design consisting of a passive 3-way crossover, four balanced armature drivers in each ear monitor: a high frequency driver, mid range driver and dual subwoofer drivers. I can not say with absolute certainty but I assume that the crossover works similar to crossovers in speakers, helping to separate the highs, mids and lows in order to deliver a clean accurate sound signature. They will certainly make you re-examine your recordings due to the precise detail that they are capable of delivering.

Sound
Let me start out by saying that custom earphones really put the music into your head and for those like me who thought that the sound and overall sound stage would suffer by being so deep into my ears, boy was I wrong. Yes the soundstage does depend to a large degree on the quality of the recording. However by their ability to separate the sound range from high to low very well gives you the ability to clearly pick out the individual instruments and their relative positioning to your perceived position in the mix, which adds to the overall experience of sound gratification. That said, the sound stage is a bit tight (narrow/diminished) but acceptable because of the instrument separation that one experiences. To say it another way, the ue11 doesn’t have the wide soundstage that many full-sized headphones provide.

Written by many as the “best in” sound reproduction on the market for professional or personal use available today, only sounds to me as more marketing hype. Even though I can say that they are not better than the best headphones that I have had the pleasure of auditioning, they certainly out perform all portable earphones and many full sized headphones available on the market today. To cut to the case, they deliver a clear, accurate sound signature with a custom-fit class.

Bass – Every time I have the pleasure to immerse myself into my music, the ue11’s do not disappoint. They deliver a profound, mysterious, broad and substantial bass reproduction that really sounds natural to my ears. All this emanating from the subwoofer that appears to be in your head comes across without being strenuous, fatiguing or overbearing. They certainly deliver the rich and deep bass reproduction that I look for in my headphones, without being overbearing.

Midrange - Very similar indeed to the se530’s midrange, warm and smooth is of critical importance, which really stands out on the ue11s. They deliver a clear, detailed and warm sound that makes it a pleasure to differentiate the diverse range that artists can deliver via their vocals and the essential sounds emitted by their instruments. Guitars sound almost life like and appear to be either next to you or behind you depending on the recording, seemingly coming to life as well as other instruments in the overall fusion.

Treble - The ue11s takes the best attributes of the se530s above and beyond to a higher level of high frequency. The frequency reproduction is more elevated, fast, precise and detailed, in comparison the se530s which sound recessed or lacking the overall natural punch that the ue11 delivers. The ue11s seem to come or be alive with details and not just in the highs. Personally I am experiencing a greater detail of vigor and power in my music.

Conclusion
What more can I say …

Ultimate Ears did a great job with the cable design length, light weight and microphonics free. But for the price one pays, the company really should include a second cleaning tool with longer wire extension, their short optional cable extension, their longer 66” cable and a 3.55mm to ¼” plug converter with the pro package.

The ue11 pro’s are excellent custom earphones that fit as great as your impressions are taken, so take care during that faze of the process. This certainly affects their ability to isolate to the tenth degree and the overall comfort that you will experience. They offer a full range of colors or even translucent colors with stock or custom art work that should please all who take the plunge.

Where these earphones really shimmer is in their overall ability to release life-like sound quality across a wide range from tight detailed highs to vibrant lows that deliver an overall gorgeous sound reproduction. This combined with a genuine sound stage with depth makes these earphones an excellent choice. Compared to other custom monitor products available on the market today the UE11 pro’s are a must try for any audio afficionado that is not thrifty minded.

Pros
  • Excellent isolation and seal
  • Great sound quality with excellent precise detail and clarity along the continuum from high to low
  • No cable microphonics
  • Excellent sound quality
  • Great build quality
  • Detachable, light weight cables
  • Very comfortable
  • Ability to customize your look, color and sleek/streamlined design
  • Not tiring or fatiguing

Cons
  • Extremely expensive as compared to other custom earphones or even full sized headphones
  • They don’t have the wide soundstage that many full-sized headphones offer
  • If you don’t like them, customs are hard/impossible to ever make your money back
  • I would like to see them offer both cables & short extension with the Pro package
  • No 3.55mm to ¼” plug converter

Purchase
You purchase the ue11 pro directly from Ultimate Ears out of Irvine, California USA, either by phone (800-589-6531) or their website: http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimat...om/ue11pro.php

MSRP: $1150.00

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 06-04-2009 at 10:19 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-07-2008, 11:51 AM

Though I can't see the photos, I congratulate you on your purchase! Even in a decade or more when something better is released at twice the price, that'll still be a testament to the engineering of this time.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Last edited by Xenodius; 08-02-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:10 PM

Haha

So you went an did the did the deed. I am so pleased for ya bro'

When they are bedded in, do tell us all about the sound, esp compared with Shure.

Could you maybe start a thread that tells us non custom plebs how to work thro' the ordering system etc.

Best wishes

Old 06-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Congratulations on those magnificent UE11, mon!
Nice WalkGood print.

My Last.fm

Old 06-09-2008, 08:38 PM

WOW DUDE, you SUCK!

I'm jealous. I have an i7. I have a Pico. I'm missing something... = )

I had to steal that third pic for my Evil Things album.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
WOW DUDE, you SUCK!

I'm jealous. I have an i7. I have a Pico. I'm missing something... = )

I had to steal that third pic for my Evil Things album.
Could it be that your missing my “home made silver interconnect cable”

Old 06-10-2008, 08:11 AM

Price: $1150.00 ?!
Wow. Does it really sound 4.6 times better than Livewires?

Old 06-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

This is the "Holy Grail" of IEM's !!! OMG - DUDE, YOU REALLY DO ROCK !!!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Could it be that your missing my “home made silver interconnect cable”
lol

No but I did notice it and was wondering if you made it or bought it. I would settle on using my cheap Cardas mini to mini.

I'm interested on your thoughts re how the UE11 compares to the Shures...also do you plan to sell them...to me...real cheap

Old 06-10-2008, 10:18 PM

I would just use a coat hanger for a cable, as long as it carries electrons... the higher the impedance, the better the frequency response, right? =p

Nah, I just like spitting in audiophools faces... as long as its a good, sturdy, low microphonic and sturdy cable I am happy.

The SE530 cant compete with the UE11's... but they are still awesome phones. Check the SE530 review on this site, they certainly have a few flaws but also some strong points. They shure sound like odd dogs =D

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 06-11-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
lol

No but I did notice it and was wondering if you made it or bought it. I would settle on using my cheap Cardas mini to mini.

I'm interested on your thoughts re how the UE11 compares to the Shures...also do you plan to sell them...to me...real cheap
Cable is home made, hope you like, so far i've only made 4 of them. I'm still trying to get a better braid and I want to try a weave. No way I'm selling these ... Give me a bit more time to write up some of my thoughts and compare. I'm still just enjoying them flat, trying different listening tests, amp'd and not amp'd and today i started using jeteffects ... but so far i'm very impressed.

additional:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenodius View Post
……The SE530 cant compete with the UE11's... but they are still awesome phones. Check the SE530 review on this site, they certainly have a few flaws but also some strong points. They shure sound like odd dogs =D
I won’t reply to your first points, but I can say this, I truly enjoyed my se530s and I did write up some of my thoughts on them here, but it’s night and day between the two and the se530s don’t come out on top

Old 06-22-2008, 02:25 PM

Updated my original post to include a review, enjoy

Old 06-24-2008, 03:55 AM

WalkGood, I've been to the Pipeline. About ten winters ago. I rented a VW Bug outside of Waikiki and drove up around the edge of the island past Diamond Head and spent one day at Waimea Bay and two days at Banzai. They are both dreams. Different dreams but dreams nonetheless.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallen View Post
WalkGood, I've been to the Pipeline. About ten winters ago. I rented a VW Bug outside of Waikiki and drove up around the edge of the island past Diamond Head and spent one day at Waimea Bay and two days at Banzai. They are both dreams. Different dreams but dreams nonetheless.
I won’t argue with your dreams, mine was a goal and I was only using an example to draw a parallel of another expensive goal.

btw, if you wana chat surfing, let’s take it up on #anythingbutipod irc or an off topic thread. Hope you enjoyed the pipe as much as I

Old 06-24-2008, 08:08 AM

Yikes Ray! Just caught your review of these little beauties, I'm jealous..

Seriously though, congrats on the purchase.. now which child doesn't get to go to college?

Old 06-25-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utew View Post
Yikes Ray! Just caught your review of these little beauties, I'm jealous..

Seriously though, congrats on the purchase.. now which child doesn't get to go to college?
Thanks Utew, they are certainly worth every hard earned penny I spent. Trust me, I sold off stuff to get them and the se530s were one of the first things that went, so in the end I didn't have to come up with too much more. It's hard to convey in writing how good they really are, hope it came across in my review and that you enjoyed the read.

btw, kids college is fl prepay

Tags
canal phones, custom canal phones, custom ear phone review, custom iem, custom monitors, custom ue 11 pro, ear phone review, monitors, quad armature, ue 11 review, ue pro review, ue11, ue11 pro, ue11 pro review, ue11 review, ultimate ear review, ultimate ears