android
Old 06-02-2006, 07:11 PM

I submitted a request to Sandisk. I got a reply that says they can't confirm but to keep my eyes posted on Rockbox for the possible firmware.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-02-2006, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter
Zivan, I know you are making the playlist editor/copier, but from all my testing by making PLP/PLA playlists from hand and placing them in the PLAYLIST folder in UMS mode, they still don't show up in playlist menu. Is your program going to be able to add them so they show up?
Yep, I have tested it fully with the player. The key is to create utf-16le files, which have extra null bytes between each character which notepad does not display.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:42 PM

"Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical Support, and for your recent inquiry into our product line.

We still do not support the firmware for RockBox, but future options will be available once we have coordinated with the firmware creator."

What I got from them! They say yes.
Can't wait!

Old 06-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56
Yep, I have tested it fully with the player. The key is to create utf-16le files, which have extra null bytes between each character which notepad does not display.
Thanks for the explanation!

Old 06-05-2006, 06:46 PM

Thumbs up This is hopeful (rockbox)

My 260 arrives tomorrow. I've been using (still use) an archos V2 20 gig. It's huge and clunkly. But, it's running rockbox and works like a dream.

I have about 100 gb of MP3s ripped to UberStandard (http://www.ubernet.org/?p=UberStandard) specs. No way was I going to let iTunes or Windows Media near my fies.

I love just having the music in folder format on my computer and being able to drag and drop what I want onto the Archos. I also love being able to create playlists on the fly.

RockBox really is the the answer for medial players. Everything you want; nothing you don't. I'll even gladly trade videos for everything else in the rockbox port (though I'm guessing a dual boot could get around that).

The only problem with Archos is the company was scared to death of RockBox. Basically, they'd deny warranty work if they found any rockbox files on your media player. This was kind of tricky if your player died before you could remove the files. I had to battle them twice on that because they tried to use it as an out to deny warranty coverage ("how do we know this software didn't damage the player."). This kind of thing scared a lot of people I knew off using rockbox on their archos.

So, if SanDisk will even just "allow" the firmware (obviously supporting dev would be even better), then we'll ahead of the game!

Old 06-05-2006, 10:13 PM

waiting anxiously for ROCKBOX on my E260.

1) World language support for ID3 tags
2) Better video support. (besides mjpeg, cuz it takes up too much space)

Old 06-10-2006, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen
I have high res versions of this and many other pics of the board. I shot all the photos in 7MP when i disassembled it. I have the ones you seen in the review as well as 15 or so more. Let me know who i can give them to or where i should post them.

I have some programming knowlege and i can take apart nearly any player with my eyes closed... let me know if i can help.
If you want to help out in the Rockbox porting effort, may I suggest your upload your pictures to this page: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...wareComponents
Which is where Rockbox will be collecting information about the hardware in the E200.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:28 PM

i never used rockbox, only read about it a little in the engadget article and the rockbox webpage
too bad they make it from scratch
i think it would be cool to just get a few modifications to the current firmware
you kno support for other audio/video formats
and maybe some added features

but im just used to using the default firmware in music players because ive had a himd player for a long while
and i dont even think the firmware is replacable in it

Old 06-13-2006, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasher
If you want to help out in the Rockbox porting effort, may I suggest your upload your pictures to this page: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...wareComponents
Which is where Rockbox will be collecting information about the hardware in the E200.
damn, this is starting to look serious...It'd be great if the sansa gets rockboxed: give me user EQ, gapless, OGG, maybe an additional video codec or two, and I'm set!!

Old 06-13-2006, 05:32 PM

I'd be thrilled if it somehow got rid of the POP between songs and added basic Divx or xvid support. That would be a world of help. The idea of Rockbox is the ONLY reason I haven't returned my e260.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:50 PM

Rockbox on the Sansa would be great but bigdroo and possibly anothers: Don't just keep your Sansa because there's a chance of Rockbox getting ported to this DAP. Chances are not so high. To buy a product that doesn't satisfy you enough and keeping it just because there's a chance that you may like it in the future is not logical. Get something that from the start you like enough to keep it. It's like being with a girl that you don't like now, but you stick with her anyways because you hope she'll change, or something like that. It's not cool, even to yourself!

Old 06-15-2006, 08:39 AM

Well, the truth is, I bought my e260 so I'd have something to listen to when I go walking on my lunch break. It was also a nice little plus that it would play videos as well so I'd have something to do/watch when it rains on that lunch break.

Where I got disappointed was when I started trying to use it for other things, such as playing background music through the computer speakers when I'm working at my desk. When I started hearing loud pops between the MP3 tracks, that's when my opinion of the player took a nose dive.

In truth and to be fair, if I just judge it for how it performs the tasks I ORIGINALLY bought it for, it's a keeper. I'm just always trying to find more uses for it, and I'd hate to lose the features by going with a whole different MP3 player, like Samsung's. (no real video support)

So, this girl may not be the love of my life, but she's certainly a good date.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:14 PM

for now (1hour testing all the available functions and 1hour listening at some new mixup) i noticed the big lack of volume level as my first mp3 player (first sandisk mp3player series 1gb) was much more louder than the sansa e250 (also you could additionally pitch up the volume on the first sandisk mp3 by manually setting all the eq-faders to the top [this was really needed when playing outdoor on some mid-boxes when an mp3 is recorded in a bit lower volume: in example dj-mixes who all are in a different volume level]).

Old 06-15-2006, 05:15 PM

Don't destroy your hearing. You only have two ears, for life.
Have you checked if your volume setting is at "high"? If it's there... then turn your volume level down. Those "hearing damage" warnings that come with every DAP player out there exist for a reason. I've own 2 walkmans, 2 MiniDisc, 4 MP3 players and I found the Sansa's volume just perfect. Not enough to destroy your ears and headphone equipment easily a loud enough to be used as a "line out" without distortion. Check your Mp3 volume or use more efficient equipment for your listening. Use MP3Gain to normalize or crank up your mp3s volume levels without adding distorsion.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:55 PM

yeah you are totally right but just as i described above i use it many hours per week to play on some nice small panasonic speakers where its really helpful when you can turn it up enough to please them. i also dont have that much time and energy to adjust the volume of every musicfile to the max which i download and wanna transfer over.
i think the first sandisk dap which had a sadly loose contact in the headphone plug after a while was the best ive seen all over the years it had all the functions you can dream of!
couldnt exchange it because the dealer didnt have them anymore so i ordered the e250 and hes actually lacking all of his "grandpa's" abilities
but so far i like it..

Old 06-15-2006, 06:40 PM

Alright guys I just have 1 thing

U guys talk about how it needs this how it should be able to

But i have 1 Question

what are u doing so we can port the e200 for RockBOx ?

it wont port itself

I am not trying to offend any 1 but instead of Suggesting What we try more harder so we can port it for Rockbox

Old 06-15-2006, 06:43 PM

Phreeksta: I really recommend you to use MP3Gain, it's a nice piece of software, very straighforward. You can batch process all your files easily, you can even process the files without removing them from your Mp3 player, just locate the folder with your music through the software and batch process them to your volume tastes.

redcell: I don't have C# knowledge, I have some skills in electronics but nothing at embedded programming in C and assembler...So the best we (people that can't code) can do is make nice suggestions. Check the Firmware Suggestions thread and add your input.

Check the "New Port" section at Rockbox for more details.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

From what I have read, a rockbox firmware would cause DRM (subscription) files not to work. That is bad news for me.

Old 06-15-2006, 08:58 PM

well if u really want rockbox
and dont mind a loss in quality and a loss of around $17
u can download tunebite
it can remove the drm from wma drm and itunes by recording it
but wats nice is it does it at 4x speed with wmp and 2x with itunes (thats wat it is for me, might be diff speeds on other comps)
it also copies the id part too so u dont have to go thru and do it again
plus wats nice is after u cancel ur subscription, u can keep the music

Old 06-15-2006, 11:27 PM

if u guys want ill get u any software

just pm me or drop an email with the software u want and ill get it for u in less then 24hrs

Also

Any 1 tried Extracting Images/Strings from the Firmware ?

i have used winhex, some other hex editors, Image Searching Engine, And some other things

Also I have alked to some Iriver/Ipod/Rockbox devlopers and they said they would try to help us if they had some spare time which is pretty Cool

Also i am trying to figure out how we can downgrade the firmware so we can re update it with the modified Firmware

Closed Thread