android
Old 05-30-2008, 12:04 AM

Default Battery Draining overnight (while off)

If I charge my P2 then play a song or two then turn it off for the night I find I'll wake up with a bar missing. When I power on I don't get the Samsung image and the little beeps. During the course of the day I have to charge my P2 everyday when I get home. Which can't be good on my battery. Bluetooth is off, the screen is set to turn off while not being used. Any idea on what's wrong?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds to me like the battery can't hold a charge anymore, try getting a hold of Samsung, see what they can do for you
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 05-30-2008, 12:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Nah, if his battery can't hold a charge, then he would notice a huge drop under a load (playing a song or just being active on the player) or may not even be able to charge it fully. It sounds like the player just isn't turning off correctly and is running all night long. Do you have any kind of alarms or timers set (not too familiar with the P2)? If so, this may be keeping it from turning off entirely and keeping it in a "sleep" mode all night; draining battery power much faster than when off. At a resting state, lithium-ion batteries have a really low discharge rate, hardly any. Something is using the power. I would say if he continues to use it this way, then yes the battery's charge capacity will diminish.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 05-30-2008 at 12:40 AM.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Samsung Moderator

Technically, not true. Defective batteries usually suffer from one of two problems. Either they don't take much of a charge, and then, yes they suffer under the load of driving headphones. Also, old batteries, even Li-Ion ones tend to develop much higher internal resistance, which means that while they might show that they have half a charge, they will die randomly, because they can't support the current the device is trying to pull, but this only tends to happen to old batteries.
The other main sign of a defective battery is one with a very high self discharge rate. This only tends to happen with a defective unit, not an old battery chemistry. It does happen, and if you check all that Bobby mentioned, and can't figure out a reason for the drain, consider RMA'ing your unit on the grounds of the battery.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:33 PM

Guess I'll be contacting Samsung, thanks for the help mates.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:45 PM

Default same problem

i just got this player about 2 weeks ago and i seem to be having the same problem. The battery is starting to drain while "off". i noticed it because just like DSK123 the p2 does not go through the whole starting screen and beeps when it turns on, but it goes to my last state very quickly, which suggest it wasn't completely off. I have set all my settings to default and i don't use and sleep or alarms but the problem still exists.
I really hope its not a battery problem so i don't have to go through the whole hassle lol
Any suggestion would be helpful!

Old 06-02-2008, 02:30 PM

The same thing happens to me as well...I originally thought it slept for a certain period of time after you turnd it off(hold the power button) & then turned completely off, but I've left mine off over night & it still came directly on. It's probably somthing simple, but this seems a little confusing.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Samsung Moderator

If it comes on without the P2 startup screen and the little sound clip, then it was in a light sleep mode, and wasn't fully off. You should check again to make sure no games are going, alarms are set, and that your bluetooth is off.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:43 PM

I do not have any alarms running, bluetooth is off, and all my games, when accessed, go straight to their main screen yet I hold down the power button and it does not fully shut off because turning it back on does not display the welcome screen and little sound clip. Any more suggestions? Clearly this is a common problem.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Samsung Moderator

Well it takes a few hours to reach the deep sleep mode. Try turning it off, then turning it back on in 5-6 hours and see what happens.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:32 AM

I have a problem similar to this on my samsung T10. I fully charge it at night, turn it off, then the next morning i try to turn it on but the screen just flashes white lines then turns off. I plug it in and my battery is FULLY drained, which i don't even understand because the battery life is 30 hours and i only sleep for 10 hours!
?

Old 07-06-2008, 01:55 PM

Did anybody figure this out?
I've had this problem a couple of times. I haven't even looked at the alarm menu etc.
Occasionally it will go back to what I was listening to/watching without starting up, and occasionally it will start up properly (Samsung music & logo)
Don't think I'm turning it off any differently on either occasion.