android
Old 06-20-2008, 12:08 AM

Default Video DRM problem

Ok I am trying to convert a wedding video to DVD.
I set up the dvr dock, fed the video in, saw it on the screen and recorded it. I checked the playback on the unit (605 wifi) but then when I moved the file to my computer, I got a "COPY PROTECTED VIDEO FILE" image on the screen.
What do I need to do to unlock the file so i can make a dvd?
Oh the files are in AVI format, that seems to be the sticking point. I've seen plenty of info on DRM removal but none for Avi files.

Last edited by Animus; 06-20-2008 at 04:05 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-20-2008, 07:22 PM

ok so the files are in AVI, what are you using the Archos for?
all you need is software that can take AVI and convert and burn to DVD-Video

Old 06-20-2008, 09:56 PM

Well as i said above the intent was to use the archos to record the wedding video off the old VHS tape then convert and burn to dvd.
But the avi the Archos makes is DRM protected and although I have looked around I cannot find a program to remove the DRM from AVI files. There seems to be a lot of them that fix mp3 and wmv but not for avi...
I've tried to use a couple of dvd making programs I have (Canopus Procorder and TMPGEnc) but they register no video feed.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:57 AM

When you copied the vhs tape did the archos say it was recording in (P) mode? If it did then it thinks the vhs is a commercial tape and wont allow you to replay it on anything but the Archos. Try a different vhs player. Or copy it directly to your pc using a capture card such as pinnacle. DVDshrink will remove macrovision - the protection program - from dvds but I dont think it will work with avi files.

The problem is with your vhs player not the archos so try and find another one which will allow you to copy tapes without adding in protection.

You should check that you are using the 27 May 2008 firmware on the archos too as the previous one had a problem with macrovision.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:50 AM

Thankyou I Will check that on the next attempt.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:34 AM

Hi Wrrus,
I just found this forum as I am having problems with DRM on the 405's and 605's as well. My problem however is that I am recording on the Archos from a simple camera and mic source and the avi files are getting the protection applied. Archos tech support says it's a "Known Issue" but that was in late November. They have probably abandoned us Gen5 users and our firmware needs.

I don't recall having the problems with the previous firmware releases.

The Archos 405/605 doesn't apply the protection to every recorded file. Out of 10 recording events (scheduled), the protection got applied to 4 of the files only. I also had 2 occurrences where the recording event split at ap[proximately 10 minutes in and continued on a second file. The second file got the protection but not the first. Another "known issue".

Any expeience out there???
Thanks!

Old 02-14-2009, 11:59 PM

Its a bug in the software, as you say no chance of a fix now Gen 6 is out. Thats the problem with Archos they abandon older models.