android
Old 05-28-2008, 10:03 PM

Page Looking for infosites on video codecs

Where can I learn about video codecs? Is there some grand FAQ website that won't try to sell their super-duper, oh-so-special codecs? I'm trying to learn about them so i know which formats are best for what I want.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay.d View Post
Where can I learn about video codecs? Is there some grand FAQ website that won't try to sell their super-duper, oh-so-special codecs? I'm trying to learn about them so i know which formats are best for what I want.
There is no best format. It depends on what the devices you are going to use support and what you want to do.

Charles

Old 05-29-2008, 10:08 AM

http://forum.doom9.org/ - best you ask in the "Newbie" section there. And be a bit more specific about what you actually intend to know.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
There is no best format. It depends on what the devices you are going to use support and what you want to do.

Charles
That's what I mean. I'm not going to use the same video/audio codec for everything I have. I want my movies to be decent but compressed, concerts to be as good as I can get, and everyday 'youtube' funny videos to be one step above shitty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
http://forum.doom9.org/ - best you ask in the "Newbie" section there. And be a bit more specific about what you actually intend to know.

Ah, okay, I'll lurk around there for a while. Thank you.
What I was looking for was this site in black and white that had everything about DVDs and burning/ripping/etc. It was formatted as a FAQ, where you clicked one question and it brought you down the list of answers on the same page to what you clicked. I cannot for the life of me remember where I put that link.... Oh well! Thanks again!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
That's what I mean. I'm not going to use the same video/audio codec for everything I have. I want my movies to be decent but compressed, concerts to be as good as I can get, and everyday 'youtube' funny videos to be one step above shitty.
Which devices will you be playing the videos on and which codecs do they support?

Quote:
What I was looking for was this site in black and white that had everything about DVDs and burning/ripping/etc.
Which platform are you on?

Charles

Old 05-29-2008, 02:47 PM

Cowon a3. I'm getting a 60gb, but I have more music then videos so I want to keep the video sizes fairly small. I'm also trying to get a Zune [30gb] as well.

Platform? Dell laptop, Inspiron 1501.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:53 PM

In that case h.264 should give you the best compression ratio, size vs. quality. For the audio codec, use AAC if possible. It might result in a bit better compression than using XviD and MP3, but it's probably more processor intensive (ie. less battery time). There's always pros and cons...

Old 05-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Cowon a3. I'm getting a 60gb, but I have more music then videos so I want to keep the video sizes fairly small. I'm also trying to get a Zune [30gb] as well.
For this device your best bet is H.264 and then XVID. As dfkt said, H.264 will give you the best compression, but will most likely be a lot more power hungry than XVID.

Charles

Old 05-29-2008, 08:13 PM

Okay, great! This really cuts down on my researching time. Thank you both so much!

Tags
codec, video, video codec