android
Old 05-24-2008, 09:10 AM

Default So I cracked the touch screen layer :(

Oh, why can i wind back time. Yesterday at a friends, i had my D2, phone, livewires (and SD cards, cleaning tool, and stylus in a case) on top of my laptop, and a glass of water in the other.

Fumbling for the light switch, in a ouse i dont know, somehow the D2 (uncased ) slipped off the laptop top, and hit the wood floor, face down.

I have only had it a couple of weeks, and it is only 4 months old, i just did a trade to get it and an 8gb sd, and in return traded Zen vision m 30gb, and just got my other 2 8gb cards for the d2 which i ordered when it arived.

The first time i drop it, sods law, it was uncased (eg. not in its altoids tin) and landed on a hard, wood, floor....

Im totally gutted, i wish i could just find back time.

The screen doesnt have any bleeding, but a hairline crack, and the touch screen is hard to use at best, and very flakey to use, i think the touch screen layer has cracked, not the whole screen, as it still looks perfect, just unfunctional.

So, im in the UK, it was bought from Advanced MP3 Players by the 1st owner, and i still have the printed reciept.

I read on cowon's website about repairs, and it doesnt mention the UK http://support.cowonamerica.com/supp...&kbarticleid=3

In order of preference, what can i do?:

So, does anyone know where to buy a new screen, i have looked but cant find any, this would be my preference as its cheap and easy, and im not without my d2. Anywhere online? Could cowon ship me one? Shame they arent as easy to come by as other manufacturers screens.

I could buy a broken d2 with a good screen, but i cant find one. I will be posting a WTB on head-fi and iaudiophile. Again, the d2 being reasonably rare outside the geek market, they are hard to find. Other manufacturers have an abundance of broken players on ebay.

Next, what can Advanced MP3 players do, anything?

Next, how much would it cost to send it to be repaired, and how long would i be without it? Do they even repair outside of the US and Canada? Anywhere in the EU/UK?

--

So, links to screens for sale, what can the retailer do, what do cowon charge, do they fix outside of the us/canada, do they have a repair place in the eu/uk?

Any help appreciated!

Going to go and post some wtb's now!

Please help me choose what is best by answering any questions above if you can.

Matt

Last edited by FrododorF; 05-24-2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: removing selling/buying stuff

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Send it in to Cowon if you can and get it repaired. Try to contact them and see what they might charge. Either way at least you know you'll be getting your player back in WORKING condition.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:12 AM

I have found a 2gb d2 with a missing power slider, and the area filed out, for $80, so it will cost less, and i wont have to send it away and wait as long, but the seller wont reply and tell me if the sale is actually pending or not....

I will have some spares too, which i could sell, bringing the cost down further.

I will update.

Wish me luck....hope and pray it isnt sold!

Matt

Old 05-25-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baines93 View Post
I have found a 2gb d2 with a missing power slider, and the area filed out, for $80, so it will cost less, and i wont have to send it away and wait as long, but the seller wont reply and tell me if the sale is actually pending or not....

I will have some spares too, which i could sell, bringing the cost down further.

I will update.

Wish me luck....hope and pray it isnt sold!

Matt
And pray you actually get a player with working screen. But, good luck, if he's honest you will be doing a good deal

Old 05-25-2008, 07:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have an idea who he's purchasing from and he shouldn't have any probs. I just hope it all come together well and you get your player up & running ASAP!!! Good luck and yes, please do keep us posted.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I'm likely shipping it out to my buyer next weekend.
Hope for me it falls through!

Old 05-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Contact Cowon and swallow your pride (LOL).

Old 05-25-2008, 04:20 PM

yeah, ima stick it out for a bit....

Old 05-27-2008, 02:10 PM

Right, i was told the company it was bought from by the previous owner, Advanced MP3 Players were good with helping repairs, were closed when i called. Try tomorrow!

US Live support told me that they dont deal with people outside the US and Canada.

There is no EU site, so no EU live support grrr.

I will call AMP3P tomorrow, and hopefully they can do the repair, or organise it for me, to save me the cost of calling germany.

I miss my d2 so much!

Thanks for all the help people.

Thankyou.

Matt

Last edited by Baines93; 06-01-2008 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old 05-28-2008, 10:38 AM

Well i called Advaned Mp3 Players, where the d2 was bought from, and after checking if my sales no. meant it was purchased online, or instore, she told me i would have to speak to their Cowon person, and gave me an email address, and told me he/she will be able to organise it for me, and i should have a reply to my email (just sent it) in less than 24hrs.

It isnt the cheapest or easiest option, however i cant get a screen, or a broken d2, so it is the only option, and im missing my D2 so much now, its become urgent, and i cant wait anymore! Would be even worse if i was at school...

Just hope it comes back before my last 2 exams at the end of June, wont be in for my first, 8 days. Its nice to finish an exam, pick an sd card, pop in the livewires and get your feet tapping, while blocking out the sound of the lower school'ers

I will update with my email and a reply when it comes through.

Off to swat up some more for my first exam, 8 days from now. Argh, the stress....At least i have my laptop and Livewires, as i said above, it would be worse if i wasnt at school! (laptop=nono!)

Matt

Old 05-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Any luck yet? Head-Fi: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/so...-layer-328423/

Old 05-29-2008, 03:20 AM

Still no reply, but theyre closed.

*Waits for them to open shop again!*

Quote:
Matt,

Sorry to hear that you have broken your D2. You can find out details of
how to get the player repaired in Korea and the approximate cost by
emailing jamesjang@cowon.com.

The German service centre appears to have stopped taking enquiries form
outside Germany I'm afraid.

Kind Regards,

Advanced MP3 Players

TEL: 0131 273 4388
FAX: 0131 273 4397
EMAIL: sales@advancedmp3players.co.uk
WEB: http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk

amp3digital.com Music & Video Download Store

This email (including any attachments) is confidential, privileged and
may be used only by the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not
the addressee (or a servant or agent obliged to deliver it to the
addressee) then you may not read, disseminate, print, copy, store or
otherwise use it. If you have received it in error, please notify
Advanced MP3 Players by replying to the address from which it was sent
and delete it from your system. This email and its attachments may have
been altered without the author's knowledge or consent. Any views
expressed are personal to the author, except where specifically stated
to be the views of Advanced MP3 Players. Advanced MP3 Players accepts no
liability of any kind either for any errors arising as a result of
electronic transmission or for any loss or damage which may be sustained
by any person as a result of this email and/or its attachments being
communicated to any person other than the intended recipient.

Advanced Players Ltd is a company incorporated in Scotland (registered
number SC242972), having its registered office at No 2, The Old Engine
House, Eskmills Business Park, Station Road, Musselburgh, EH21 7PQ,
United Kingdom. VAT Registration Number: GB790281912.

WEE/GC0256QW
Oh great, Korea

Ok, i will contact them now! Grrrr.

I am going to contact Germany direct too, and see, but he is probably correct.

Matt

-----------

Update: The broken d2 has come back up, however he wont ship outside the US

Maybe someone from Head-fi close to New Jersey could send the D2 on to me if i paid a bit and put a thread up on Head-fi.

$80 + shipping + shipping 2 is maybe slightly more, but i dont risk my d2 getting lost on the way, or more broken! And i trust myself to do it, maybe with dad, and i get some spare parts.

We will see!

I will supply pics when my D2 goes under the knife, if it does!

Matt

Last edited by Baines93; 06-01-2008 at 08:12 AM.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Good luck and sorry I can't be of help.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:48 PM

Well, i opened my D2 today to check that the screen did have a connector, as i saw in some pictures that they had removed a spare flash chip, and i thought it may be a good idea to check before buying the D2 with the missing power slider.

The screen is on a connector, so so long as the one with the missing power slider has a connector, im ok.

It was ok to open. Screws a bit tight. Clasps hard to undo, but eventually we managed to reveal the battery, and broke the double sided sticky tape on the back, and the foam one from the high point on the board. Then unscrewed the main board, then realised i didnt have to, and released the clips on the front bezel. So now i had the board in my hands, seperated unescecerily from the chasis.

I undid the clips holding the screen casing to the main board, and then being careful with the ripon cables, undid the skinny one, you push the dark brown slider on each side of the connector foward. The fat ribbon cable i thought was the same, and went to push out. The plastic was soft, and the corner (tiny bit) of the tab-lift came off, then i realised this one was lift. So yeah, still ok, just lost a bit about 0.10mm x 0.10mm from the corner of the fat ribbon cable release.

Next while packing up i found a little plastic piece which i thought came from the battery connector, underneath, so my dad tried to put it back in, it flicked off the sd card cover and dissapeared. Then i found a little metal thing with legs. It came from the reset button i think. It was held on by some tiny plastic legs around the reset metal circle.

Then i realised the plastic piece must have come from here too so the stylus pushes the plastic into the reset metal circle.

Then i noticed the little legs around the circle were broken down.

I then realised someone when resetting must have pushed up, prying the metal up breaking the plastic legs holding it on, and letting the little plastic piece found first move around in there with the metal shelter/cover...

So we cant get the metal shelter like thing back on, and lost the little piece of plastic, it seems to have been sprung up off the end of the screw driver by the thin plastic sd reader cover only fastened at the end.

The reset hole should still work, but the object used will need to be pushed down to hit the metal circle. Or like i always did, hold the power slider to off for 10 seconds, i always found the reset hole a bit tempromental so i think it has be broken for a while, beofre i opened it. So it should still work, but i didnt want to risk breaking the screen tabs to put the screen back in and test. I could use the plastic piece and metal shelter/cover from the spares d2, however i cant fix it to the borad as the little plastic bits around the hole have been broken by someone pushing up during a reset. Oh well, just have to push down instead now, or just use the switch like i do.

Last of all be careful with the microphone. There s a little rubber thingy around it, with notches out one side which helps it fit in a clip on the back cover, the clip and the rubber thing are semi-circles. Be careful, this rubber thingy falls off easily.

Thats about it really. Cant wait to get the other d2 and replace my screen and get my DAB d2 going again, and test the reset hole out of interest. Taped the mainborad screws (2) to the (huge) battery, and then the case screws onto the rear panel. Just have the bits in my altoids tin, and the chasis and screen on top of the tin.

If you had the right size touch screen panel (layer) you could peel it off and stick a new one on if the ribbon cable was the right width and had the gold bits in the right places, but that would be hard to do, and find, so this is much better. 45 and i get some spares and a case. Once my broken screen is in the white 4gb non-dab d2 it will serve as a backup player, and i can put 2.xx or 3.xx on it and try a few flash skins, as my DAB d2 on 1.55 or 4.55 only supports some flash skins, and on 1.55 only, and also on 1.55, themes, and only ones with a DAB icon.

Anyway, i am just about to buy the other d2, and it will be shipped to a Head-fi'er in DC on Friday, who will then ship it on to me (CONUS sale )

Anyway, thought i would upate and warn

Will take pics as i disassemble the d2 when it arrives and/or reassemble mine with the working screen.

Shame about the reset hole, but like i said, hoepfully it will still work, and if not, you can still just use the power switch.

Matt

Last edited by Baines93; 06-25-2008 at 01:57 PM.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ummmmmm, this might have helped you and your dad if you had kept us posted on what you guys planned to do. Enzo dissembled the D2 awhile back; here's the link: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...sassembled.php

Old 06-25-2008, 03:18 PM

Yeah, i had seen it.

The reset hole was broken before with the metal cover just hanging on.

Should still work like i said, but have to point the object down, instead of up, like the person who damadged it did it.

Switch still works though, so can still reset easily. I prefer this method anyway. Only used the hole once, and it was tempremental.

Sorry for not updating you guys!

Matt

Old 07-11-2008, 04:14 PM

Well i bought the broken d2 finally, shipped direct to me in the end for $85 and managed to fix my black dab d2 with the cracked touch screen and broken reset hole (broken before, took apart to replace screen and reset hole assembly fell apart in my hands, tiny points it clipped onto on board were broken from before i opened it, so couldnt fix it, switch still works as reset though.)

Just took the new d2 that did have the broken power switch apart, and put the screen in may allready apart (then) black d2, and put the bad screen on the non dab board. I put the white non-dab logo'd casing on my d2 with dab, and the black dab logo'd casing on the non-dab d2. I put my chasis (not filed out like the one with broken switch) on my now white dab d2, and the filed out frame on the non-dab d2 that it came with, and the black casing from my d2.

So i now i have a white 4gb dab d2 with a working screen and a non-dab logo'd back, but a broken reset hole (was broken and fell aprt when i removed the casing of my then black d2) and a black non-dab d2 with dab branded back cover and a filed out switch hole, no slider, and a cracked screen. Ok for spares. Cost $5 less than a repair, but also shipping to korea wasnt included so more like $20 at least, and i got some spares, a nicer white d2 (much prefered over black, shinier and less easy to scuff) which i love to bits, looks far better than black in person, and a crstal case, usb cable and spare lightweight ok sounding buds.

Excuse the terrible pics:

^ White 4gb DAB Cowon D2 (broken reset hole) in crystal case. Black 4gb non dab d2 (in DAB logo'd casing) with missing power slider and filed out switch hole enabling turn on with stylus cracked screen, Livewire Custom IEM's, cleaning tool, cleaning cloths, Altoids D2 tin (for black d2), 3x 8gb Adata class 6 SDHC's, stylus, livewire branded waterproof case for white d2, IEM's, SD's, Stylus and cleaning cloth (x1) and tool.
\/

^ White DAB 4gb D2 in crystal case. No DAB logo's on back. Broken reset hole (switch still works and can be used to reset)

^ On the left, Black 4gb D2 with broken screen and switch, non dab, dab logo'd casing. On the right, white 4gb DAB d2 with broken reset hole, in crystal case. Non DAB branded casing (from other non-dab d2, swapped hosuings)

^ Left, Black non dab d2 (broken screen and power switch) with original theme, 3.54 firmwarel i think.

^ Left, black dab logo'd non-dab 4gb d2 with cracked screen and broken switch. Standard flash theme. Will use this d2 to test flash skins for non-dab firmwares. Right, white d2 in crystal case with broken reset hole. Black and simple flash theme (only one that works on DAB 1.55 firmware)

^ Left, Livewires case with livewires, white d2 in crystal case, 3 8gb sd's, cleaning tool for Livewires, cleaning cloth and stylus. Waterproof case.

Right, Altoids tin with 3 cleaning cloths, black non-dab, dab logo'd 4gb d2, with broken switch and screen.

2 bits from the white d2's reset hole are in the tin too for now haha!

^ All the bits i carry daily in the LW waterproof case. Livewires, white d2 in crystal case with broken reset hole, 3x 8gb sd's, cleaning cloth, cleaning tool and stylus.

Sorry for the long winded post. Hope you understand the ramblings, i tried my best, but its confusing and hard to explain, but i understand!

Matt

Last edited by Baines93; 07-11-2008 at 04:19 PM.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Screw the rambling - YOU DID EXCELLENT!!! I hope if I have a problem w/my D2 I have enough balls to do the same!!! Nice job!!!

Old 07-11-2008, 08:28 PM

I didn't read anything you said.. but the pics are alright.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:41 AM

Yeah, it wasnt too bad, just be careful with the clips holding the covers on, and not stripping the screws. Keep the screen grounding tapes that are stuck to the edge of the lcd's metal shroud and the front of the pcb at the edges, where the copper strips are when the tapes are removed. There are only five screws, all the same i think, but we kept them seperate when taking apart, and reassembling the d2's.

When you take it apart, the battery is attached to the back cover, on my d2 the clips didnt come undone and i ended up prying the battery off first, and on the new d2 the back and the battery came off together, and then we undid the connector on the board (we had to pry both batteries off as we swapped the casing and used the battery that matched the mainboard, as one had a gap on the board that was filled with a foam square stuck on the battery)

Instructions:

Then you undo the screws holding the mainboard in and the main board, front bezel and screen all come out the front of the chassis/frame. You unclip the clip on the top of the pcb and the bottom and the ones in the middle of the board, on the left i think, and the screen will be free, be careful there are two ribbon cables exposed then. Carefully hold the screen and undo the tabs. The wider ribbon has a tab that lifts, use fingers, not screwdriver as i cracked a tiny piece of of the end of the tiny tab on my original d2 as i thought it came undone like the skinny ribbon did, which has a tab which slides out one side at a time, then the ribbon comes out, make sure you get these the right way round and dont try to undo them the wrong ways!

The microphone is on a stiff wire, when putting back together make sure it has a rubber thing on, and that the notches cut out are facing the back, as the back has a plastic thing that fills the cut out and pushes the mic to the end of its cutout on the main chassis, dont worrry it does stop going and doesnt carry on and misalign with the hole, so long as you have the rubber thingy on the mic, dont loose it, and make sure when you put the screen assembly back into the frame (frontwards) that the mic isnt poking out the front above the lcd, and the row of buttons are in with the text on the frame the same way around as the M for menu button on the strip.

Then pop the battery connector back in carefully, if the battery does have a foam square on it, put it in so that it rest on the main board and not the sd card slot cover, other wise the assembly will be too thick and the covers wont go on.

Clip the covers back on (after screwing the main board back in from the back [non screen side, battery side] there are 2 screws.) Check the mic and rubber thing are in the slot in the frame and that the plastic thing on the back sticking out will meet with the rubber thingies cut out and push it in to the recess on the frame to the stopper 3/4 of the way down. and screw the screw on the left side in and the two on the right side (above the stand slot) in, pushing hard and turning carefully.

Pretty easy. Hardest bit is getting the ribbon cables in and the tabs pushed down and in, then you just clip the clips through the holes on the board and past the cutouts on the top and bottom of the pcb, then screw it into the frame (push the assembly, batteryless but with the front bezel on, in through the front until it is lining up at the holes for the usb etc. and then flip over and screw in from the back, through the holes on the pcb to the front, past the side of the screen and its non-removable metal shroud and into the tabs with screw holes in them that jutt out from the left (i think) of the front bezel. and put on the rubber mic cover, connect battery, clip rear on after checking mic is gonna get guided into its recess with stopper at end, by the plastic tab with semi-circle cut out that fits into the rubber ring with semi-circle cut out too.

Thanks for the praise! We didnt use any special tools, just a jewlers screwdriver, my dads reading glasses (:P) and a bean bag tray with a piece of kitchen towel on it, all on my dads lap while he was sitting in his wheelchair.

Took no more than an hour to dissassemble my originally broken d2 a couple of weeks ago (left it apart in drawer until last night when the "new" d2 arrived) and taking the "new one" apart, cobbling the bits together, putting my now white dab d2 back toghether with the good screen and white casing from the "new" d2, and putting the black parts from my player, and the broken screen from my player into the "new" 4gb non-dab mainboard and into its oringinal filed out frame, and putting that one back together too.

The pics are crap, i needed to crack out a mini tripod, but instead i used the cam in my hands and i was in a rush...

Matt

Last edited by Baines93; 07-12-2008 at 03:42 PM.