Default My wishlist

In the order of importance to me:
Play by folder
Delete directly from player
Bookmark for ebook
be able ti disable record button

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-20-2006, 08:41 PM

Whatdya wanna bet they (Sandisk) have one guy working part time on the e200 firmware. I bought my Sansa not knowing how limited were it's functions. I wasn't disappointed enough to return it but it will be with a much more critical eye that I evaluate the market on my next move up in another year or so. It's too bad Sandisk doesn't respond to their shortcomings the way BSE did to their imperfect skin design for the Sansa. It's a problem with senior management. How do they get Rocksbox support? They send 'em two players. No documentation! Just 2 players. Their attitude seems to be why make it easy? Let 'em reverse engineer. Instead of giving them directions, they gave them a puzzle. If they're too busy to respond to their customers, why not just open the software and let the community do it? I think it would then go farther faster. Their management reminds me of AOL. "We don't have time to fix a flawed product, we've got a market to take over." But, at least it's not an Ipod.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:45 PM

So much negativity!

You realize that MOST companies are like this and their MP3 players, right BillW? It's also my opinion that while the Sansa E200 has its share of quirks, it's not so buggy that it's even mildly unuseable. It's very useable, and I'm sure EVERY MP3 player has its quirks, even the holy-than-thou iPod. If players were crashing left and right, and people were RMA'ing them for replacements due to a bug in their software, I'm sure they'd be more "on the ball" with the firmware.

Sure they could have given documentation on their player to the Rockbox team, but they had ZERO obligation to do so. The fact that they sent them two players was pretty nice, and you have to give them some credit for that. God..

But to blame them for not adding "wish list" type stuff, that's like expecting Ford or Toyota to send you upgrade parts for your car every month, just because it'd be nice to have them.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:56 AM

Gosh Jeff, I must have touched a sore spot. You don't work for Sandisk do you? You're entirely right that they have no obligation to fulfill "wish list" stuff. However, were they to actually support their users in a more active way they would have a better chance to bump their market share up a couple of notches and thus make more millions for themselves and have a happy and devoted following in the process.

Trying to compare software upgrades to car parts doesn't wash. Suppose the Ford's PCM only allowed the car to go 35 mph and get 10 mpg. Suppose further that it was a mad rush with limited programmers that resulted in pushing the cars out the door with crippled software. Suppose too that the programmers continued to refine the software and issued an upgrade and all you had to do was download it and flash your car's PCM.

Would that be asking too much?

Now suppose Ford found out that some volunteers were putting together a software package for Chevys, Chryslers, Saturns, Volvos and BMW's that would increase their milage to 47 mpg, tell time, operate climate control, refine the cruise control, shine their shoes and make the car go 150 mph. And they were doing all this work on their own time, for free. Let's keep supposing now and they get a call from Ford asking them hey! why don't you guys do the same for us. And this is where the comparison to cars breaks down because we're going to pretend they (Ford) send this group of volunteers two new cars worth about $150/ea. (retail) but failed to give them the information they would need to do the job easily.

Well, Sansa did exactly that. They asked the Rockbox team to port Rockbox to the Sansa. It was Sandisk that came a knockin' with begging bowl in hand. Check it out. http://daniel.haxx.se/rockbox-sandisk-connection.html

I'm not talking about "quirks" or bugs. I'm talking about displaying information that is in the unit and can easily (I use that word with caution) be displayed if a person has certain information about how and where this information is stored.

Instead of begging for a free port, which incidently, can suck down a lot of some alturistic person's free time, Sandisk could have, if they had some class, and this is where I draw the comparison to AOL, provided documentation that would simplify the job of porting a very nice display (see http://www.rockbox-themes.org/index.php?res=176x220x16) to the Sansa e200.

I personally, would much prefer the above addressed display as it is high contrast and provides more useful information than Sansa's latest firmware update provides. In fact, their work looks absolutely amateur in comparison. It's no wonder they're begging for a Rockbox port. Of course, that's just one man's opinion but then I'm more into information than a pretty blue screen that says little and does less.

I not trashing Sansa. As I pointed out, I'm not disappointed enough to return it and I well could have. But we could interpret their asking Rockbox to port their software to the Sansa as THEIR RESPONSE to THEIR SHORTCOMINGS. That's why I speculated that they have someone (stress ONE) working their butt off supporting everything (all their models) they've got coming down the chute and the poor overworked soul hasn't the time to respond to the "wish list" of Sandisk's users. I could be wrong. Perhaps they have a whole team of incompetant programmers working 24/7 on it but they just can't figure it out. I really don't know what's going on behind their doors.

But, if they're going to ask an open source team to support their product why not open their software and make the job easier for the volunteers? Or at least provide the information that would make the job easier. Hmmmm... could it be a lack of insight by senior management? The president of BSE, Michael Herring, sent me a personal reply thanking me for simply congratulating him for his quick response to a minor problem in the design of the protective skin for the e200. That's management that knows that making the customer happy is what business, good business, is all about. You hop on a problem and fix it - the faster the better. Satisfied and happy customers talk. So do unhappy customers. If Sandisk was my company I would much rather have people talking about how responsive my company was to perceived product shortcomings than what we are talking about right now.

So, is this just "so much negativity"? I prefer to think it's an honest appraisal of how a company decides to support it's users.

Oh, btw, I almost didn't buy a Sansa after watching all those Sansas being dumped on eBay. But then I thought what the heck, it's got a one year on it and they would have had to fix whatever killed all those units just out of sheer self protection.

Thanks for the feedback jeffrok. Say hi to all the other guys at Sandisk for me. Oh, and there's no need to call on God. It's just an MP3 player. It's only a religion to the Ipod crowd. I think. Maybe I'm wrong.

Regards,

BW

Old 12-21-2006, 11:56 AM

I don't work for Sandisk.

I just don't think that just because Company A and Company B do it one way, that we should expect the same from Company C. If you really don't like their firmware/software release policies, then buy a different product.

Most people buy an MP3 player to do one thing, and one thing well- play their MP3's, and play them reliably. The Sansa E200's do that. You might not like the interface, but it is what it is, and most likely Sandisk will just come out with a Sansa E300 next year, to "fix" what was wrong with the E200's.. That's what companies do.

I really don't think Sandisk is obligated to cater to a handful of people's "wish lists". I guaranty, the majority of people out there just want the damn thing to work- they don't care if Rockbox can be loaded on it. I'm sure 80%+ of the Sansa owners in the world don't even KNOW what Rockbox is.

I'm not "praising" or kissing the ass of Sandisk by any means. I don't like their policy of not telling us what they REALLY fixed with each firmware release, but I do appreciate that they are at least half-heartedly listening to people's concerns. That's more than I can say for Creative, who released a total of 2 firmware updates for one of the players of theirs that I owned a couple of years ago.

This is an up-and-comer, not a "seasoned veteran" like Apple or Creative.. This is their first major MP3 player to directly compete with Apples- give them a little leeway here.

Old 12-21-2006, 06:11 PM

I guess you don't understand what I'm getting at Jeff. Some of your fellow humans, are not satisfied with mediocrity and strive to make things as they could be rather than accepting things as they are.

Happy holidays,

BW

Old 12-21-2006, 07:22 PM

yea i would really like more video options on the player like full screen and stuff like that, a status bar would be pretty nice, um also when ur watching a vid it would remember where u were watching it last instead of having to restart and fast forward to where u where at, that would be nice:P

Old 12-21-2006, 08:57 PM

Bill,

I really think the E200 is more than "mediocre" but that's a matter of preference..

Happy Holidays to you too.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:13 PM

Lossless audio is a must, WMA would be easy to code for too....

Old 01-06-2007, 08:11 AM

The A-B repeat function is something thats very useful to me.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:41 PM

I'd like the FF/Rew increments to be a lot shorter... I use my Sansa to learn bass lines for songs and sometimes I need to jump back about 3 seconds... Not a problem with my good ol' m200, but the e200r is weird about it.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donull View Post
a "STOP" option or function!
I know many people say that a "stop" function is not necessary, but it's usefull!... maybe by pressing and holding the pause/play button could do the trick, or by doubleclicking on it, or a menu opcion... anything!... the player should just stop playing, not pausing or muting, just stop!...
To date, the most creative way to spell a word wrong, but still look cool. Just my opinion.

To stay on topic, I would like to see a queue for songs and faster scrolling. And maybe the ability to display a display while the song is playing.

Rockbox would probably do all of this.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:43 PM

I would love to have bookmarking for audio books. I have a few audio books in .wma format and it is a pain fast forwarding to hour 5.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:02 PM

I think these are all great suggestions and i hope to see many of them fixed in later releases. I dont know how many of you use e200 or the e200R but i have both and the e200R already addresses a lot of these issues. Cant wait to see what happens in the future.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:40 PM

EnqueRecord Button Customize/Lockout
New More Efficient Video Codec
File Tree Browsing
Resume for Video
Menu/Play/Pause buttons
Onboard Playlist Creation

amen to all of the above

Old 01-10-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrok View Post
So much negativity!

You realize that MOST companies are like this and their MP3 players, right BillW? It's also my opinion that while the Sansa E200 has its share of quirks, it's not so buggy that it's even mildly unuseable. It's very useable, and I'm sure EVERY MP3 player has its quirks, even the holy-than-thou iPod. If players were crashing left and right, and people were RMA'ing them for replacements due to a bug in their software, I'm sure they'd be more "on the ball" with the firmware.
I'm not sure what kind of player or firmware you're running, but currently the E270 I have is the biggest POS I've ever used, seriously. Unfortunately I don't have internet access @ home since I just moved, but I'll have to check what firmware it's using, and bring it to work tomorrow and change it. I upgraded it to the latest firmware as of ~1.5-2 weeks ago. I will have to cycle the player on/off sometimes ~3-4 times to get it to TURN ON. And to turn it off I have to hold it for 10+ secs when it does this. Not to mention I had the ever popular left channel cut out on the way home last night, and the screen shuts off randomly and comes back on and the thing locks up randomly as well.

If the thing turns on on the first try, it will usually start acting up w/in 5 mins. LOL If that's not a huge POS I'm not sure what is. I got the thing for a great price and do like the design/etc. so I'll probably keep it, but to release ANY firmware THIS BAD is horrendous. Period. Judging by the current state of the Sansa firmware, I'm looking forward to the Rockbox firmware greatly... It even makes me want to actively lend a hand in the dev effort for rockbox. We'll see what happens... But I just wanted to clarify that Sandisk certainly let this thing out the door w/ ZERO testing.

I guess this is what happens when you got solid hardware, but really try to cut corners on the software..

Oh, let me add my main gripe about this thing (I largely use it in the car through my stereo):

--Save the volume level to memory and restore the EXACT SAME VOLUME on startup.

Every time the damn thing crashes and has to be restarted I have to crank up the volume each time, talk about a pita..

Old 01-10-2007, 05:17 PM

Man, check the A Rant thread by me earlier, I was having some of the same issues, they were all fixed by formatting the player. I seriously thought I was going to have send back a second player to Sandisk. I am so glad I tried formatting it.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblin View Post
Man, check the A Rant thread by me earlier, I was having some of the same issues, they were all fixed by formatting the player. I seriously thought I was going to have send back a second player to Sandisk. I am so glad I tried formatting it.
Found it, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Old 01-13-2007, 05:32 PM

Default AudibleReady support

I really would like to listen to "Books On Tape,"which has now become Audible.com with over 30,000 titles available. Years ago,I listened to lots of their books during long commutes. They use the AudibleReady (.aa) file format, which is supported by the Sansa m200 series, but not our little favorite, the e200.

More discussion on requests for AudibleReady at
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...t=AudibleReady

I would also to second the many requests for a Delete File capability. I listen to lots of podcasts. Days later, its a chore to review on the PC which ones need to be deleted. (I tried using the "Rating" feature to specify "delete this file," but the PC does not see ratings -- another flaw.)

Old 01-16-2007, 05:15 PM

Does Sandisk read this post or something? Why suggest?