android
Old 10-07-2006, 01:12 PM

Default Suggestions for Firmware (1.02.07 & .12)

<table id="table1" bordercolorlight="#FFFFFF" bordercolordark="#FFFFFF" bgcolor="#ffff00" border="0" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" height="92" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td style="border-left-style: solid; border-left-width: 1px; border-right-style: solid; border-right-width: 1px; border-top-style: solid; border-top-width: 1px;" align="left" bgcolor="#6699ff" height="86" width="80%"> Updated 2006-10-17, Revision 2 (Firmware 01.02.07 and .12)

Due to time constraints, this thread will not be consolidated as often.
</td></tr><tr><td style="border-left-style: solid; border-left-width: 1px; border-right-style: solid; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-width: 1px;" align="left" bgcolor="#0066cc" width="80%">
</td></tr></tbody></table>This thread is specifically for suggestions to improve the firmware in the future. Henceforth, this thread is not intended to be a place of argument regarding one player versus another. Such arguments will be removed from this thread.

As this thread discusses only minor issues it should NOT be used as comprehensive purchasing advice.

Note: Once your suggestion is added, the individual post will be removed to reduce clutter. Please Do Not be Alarmed. If you have concerns regarding our policies, please PM us and not post a new thread.
Please Read the List Below Each Time to Avoid Duplicate Multiple Postings. Note that the List Below is Updated Frequently.
Moderators: I have very little time to consolidate these days. If you are interested in helping please PM me.

Sansa e200 Series Consolidated List of Suggestions

Semi
Priority Sorted (High Priority at Top). Let's not argue about what's more important, that's not the point
  • Volume Setting - Volume Resets to 50% on restart. For some, this is much too loud for most. It should adjust to level at shutdown. Or maybe adjust to 50 if it was above 50, anything lower than it should just remember.

• Working EQ - The actual EQ implementation is buggy and continually resets it's custom setting or becomes "softer" (nbot so effective) after the song is changed. Very annoying and dumb.

• Record Button Customize/Lockout - The Record button is simply annoying for most. It would be nice to disable it or reprogram it as a customizable shortcut key.

• Multilanguage Support - Support for all major languages (Asian languages are major!). At least be compatible with displaying the text for song files first, then work on the Asian Language OS.

• Show the Clock - Why Hide it from us on the Now Playing Screen?

• New More Efficient Video Codec - QuickTime is archaic and over sized, more efficient codecs have been available for years. Maybe MPEG4

Podcast M4V Support - Just to take another bite into the Apple.

• Background Database Refresh - Since the system OS is running during data transfers, having the system read and catalogue the tags from supported file extensions as they are transferred.

• Database Refresh with MicroSD - A database refresh of the MicroSD card occurs at each startup. This should be fixed. The player could catalogue the Date of Last Modification and Disk Content Size at shutdown and compare this the card at startup. (Manual Refresh Option Recommended)

• Manual Database Refresh - A feature to allow the user to refresh the database in case of an error.

• File Tree Browsing - For those less inclined to tags and sorting. Also great for tag errors.

• 2 way Rating System - So if we decide we like a song, we're not telling the computer we like it even though the device already knows.

• Play by Rating - Wouldn't it be nice to listen to my music that's 3 stars or above, or all my 4 star music. Give us more than just the 5 start music.

• Customizable Wheel Light - Allow us to choose how long the scroll wheel light stays on for, or even if we turn it on at all.

• Resume for Video - Already there for Music, why not...

• Windows Media 11 Album Art - Windows Media Album Art is currently not compatible with the device. According to Microsoft, the issue needs to be fixed on SanDisk's Side.

• Progressive Scroll - The faster you turn the wheel the faster the rate of change is. For example, when turned slowly, 1 revolution = 5 items moved; when turned fast, 1 revolution = 20 items. Also solves the "no matter what you do you're always one off" pain. With the scrolling pains solved, the menu and play buttons can resume normal play/menu functions.

• Menu/Play/Pause buttons - As described above, they should assume normal functions, not UP/DOWN. (Must be implemented with progressive scroll.)

• Enque - Allow us to select a song to play, after the current song finishes. Not to be confused with the "Go-List". This feature would be more simpler and faster.

• Screens - Make the graphic equalizer smoother and let the user decide when to go back to the "Now Playing" screen, not just showing EQ, album art or "next song" for a couple of seconds. The screen should stay as long as the user wants it to (maybe a customizable setting). Included in the cycle, we should also be able to select a file rating (include 2-way rating sync). The fonts are also very rough, they need to be smoothed out.

• Reduce Boot Time - Need I Say More?

• SRS Wow - It makes things sound nice.

• M3U Playlists - .m3u playlists are much more compatible with computers, so maybe they should support it...

• Bookmarking - Great for the Long Video/Audio Files, especially audio books.

• Charging Mode - Many people want to charge and listen to music at the same time. It is very annoying to have to plug in the USB cable part way just to do this. Also, please let us turn the back light OFF!!!!!!!!!!!! When the player is connected to a computer, it should ask if you want to go into which USB mode (remember my setting) or remain unconnected by charging. If implemented, manual go into USB mode and a auto dismount device mode is needed.

• 4 Stage Power Down - Stage 1 is where backlight is set to very low (screen and buttons remain active). Stage 2 is where backlight turns off, buttons are press once to activate and second time to proceed with command. Stage 3 is soft sleep. This would be essentially off mode, allowing instant on. Stage 4 will be a true off. This is to be activated via a menu or a time delay after stage 3 has been activated. Stages 1, 2, 3 should include a disable option and a customizable timer if applicable.

• Themes - Allow the common user to create themes on the player. It doesn't have to be complicated, but something like a background change would be nice. Note* Firmware hacking allows you to change the backgrounds, but this is NOT recommended.

• Multiple Custom EQ Settings - Are we really asking for that much?

• OSD for Video - Just so we know how far in we are, volume settings and all that. It doesn't have to be fancy.This is placed low because processing power may limit the ability to implement this feature.

• Scan through Video with Wheel - Holding the >>| Button Gets Annoying. (You can get around this by holding button then activating HOLD Switch)

• Quick Back to Music List - Just for convenience.

• Quick to Scan Through Song

• Missing Space - The "Now Playing:Song Name" is quite irritating to people who are semi-neurotic like me. PS. the space is missing between the ":" and the Song Name.

• Onboard JPEG support - It's already there for Album Art, why not for photos? *Placed low because the current BMP file sizes are quite small.

• Sleep Timer - Is it that complicated?

• Radio Data System Utilization - Apparently this is supported by the radio's chip (a user's claim). Apparently it will be able to scan for the radio station name and currently playing song name. It would be nice if the device gave us this information, provided it s able to do so.

• Customizable Scroll - Some people like the scrolling, some people don't. Let us choose. Also, some people might like seeing other things scroll.

• Calendar/Extras/Stopwatch/Alarm/Games - A great convenience for those who just can't remember if the 10th is a Tuesday or Wednesday. Not to mention the Transit Riders, workout people, those who fall asleep/nap, and those in Career/Life Management Courses.

• Name Radio Presets - For those who just can't remember what 97.2 is... (Not needed if Radio Data System was utilized)

• Onboard Help - Or a more detailed manual. It took me 3 Google searches to find out Auto-Off was not a sleep timer.

• Optional Mini Album Art Display on Menus - Will require the ability to use smaller fonts, but a possibility.
    <table id="table7" border="1" width="44%"><tbody><tr><td rowspan="2" width="72">Picture 1</td><td>Text 1</td></tr><tr><td>Text 1 continued</td></tr></tbody></table><table id="table8" border="1" width="44%"><tbody><tr><td rowspan="2" width="72">Picture 2</td><td>Text 2</td></tr><tr><td>Text 2 continued</td></tr></tbody></table><table id="table9" border="1" width="44%"><tbody><tr><td rowspan="2" width="72">Picture 3</td><td>Text 3</td></tr><tr><td>Text 3 continued...</td></tr></tbody></table>
  • Move Auto-Add Radio Presets - It makes no sense to have it under View Presets

• Onboard Playlist Creation - Self-explanatory. Placed Low since it isn't the player's main purpose and it added new complications. Although in MSC mode, you can save your Go List be renaming it (it will only work on the player).
    Possibly have several GoLists? Maybe at least a "Remove from Playlist."
Moderators: I have very little time to consolidate these days. If you are interested in helping please PM me.

Last edited by xatax; 10-17-2006 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Add-ons and re-ordering

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-07-2006, 05:27 PM

Volume Bug-

If player is set on "normal volume", the sound is muted at one above mute. Only way to get player to play on "one above mute" is to set it to mute, and then bring up the volume by one notch.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:53 PM

Right at the top of this list needs to be the flawed logic used in the shuffle mode that causes the first song in a playlist to always play first and then almost always play again in the same shuffle while leaving another song out.

Old 10-08-2006, 03:42 AM

Reading lyrics and txt files, as said in the previous thread..
And support in Hebrew and other languages

Old 10-08-2006, 05:59 PM

I want something very very simple (I am surprised that it's not supported yet).
I want to play a Folder so I don't have to make playlists all the time.
Just dump something in the folder and play it.

Or am i missing something and is it already posible?

Old 10-08-2006, 08:08 PM

I would love to see a internal "Delete this file" option internally in the e200 itself. Or even a file explorer to manage and move and delete items around on the fly without having to connect via USB. I'm having a problem with duplicate files and I can't find the duplicate folders/files anywhere when hooked up as MSC.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddysign
Or am i missing something and is it already posible?
no... AND no

Old 10-13-2006, 04:53 PM

i asked this earlier on the last sticky, but the thread was deleted before i saw the replies (if any) when the new firmware came out. what is the use of these suggestions? is there any confirmation that any san disk staff in a position to implement these suggestions are viewing these forums? or is someone from here actually passing on the suggestions onto someone in the sandisk staff who could again, implement our suggestions?

thanks for replying, just curious as to whether any of the excellent ideas will be looked at by someone in a position to take advantage of user feedback.

dont know if this was suggested...i couldnt see it anyway, but how about a study mode like iriver have, where you can set it to be off, skip forward 5secs, 10secs, 30secs, 1min........60min etc. this would be helpful when listening to a large audiobook type file where you want to quickly skip through to 3hours through it or something.

a nice alternative to a bookmarking feature. in the iriver t30, when this is turned on, the next/previous track button is used for this whilst study mode is on, so it can be done using the buttons available on the sansa. course, when you again want the buttons to be used to skip diirectly to the next track, or go back, you have to turn study mode off, else it will only skip back/forth by the amount set in the study mode set up options.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:22 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by adscorp
Ask Jeff to put it on his suggestions list (if it isnt already there)
Korean support please! Thanks Jeff!

Old 10-13-2006, 07:42 PM

although it was already mentioned that it would be nice if the rec button would be customizable, i just wanted to note that i see the best used function as a global "back" key.. which would be especially useful while playing a song

holding the big round button for a short while adds a song to the queue - why just for songs? should also work for albums\bands\playlists.

currently there's a "backlight off" option, why is only the backlight being turned off, and the screen still seems to refresh? disabling the screen completely should conserve more power..

when i'll think of more things i'll let you know

Old 10-14-2006, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Windows Media 11 Album Art - Windows Media Album Art is currently not compatible with the device. According to Microsoft, the issue needs to be fixed on SanDisk's Side.
I do totally not agree with that. Sorry it's a bit off-topic but it just drives me mad

Microsoft never gets it: Windows media player should *SUPPORT* DAP's not the other way around.
The Sansa supports WMP 10 album art so it IS possible.

On the other hand DAP's should support STANDARDS like UMS(msc) or MTP and CODECS (Mpeg, Vorbis, Flaq etc.)

They do the same with windows: They certify hardware that supports windows, it should be the other way around an OS controls the hardware!

Anyway, this is one of the many reasons I don't use windows.

Old 10-15-2006, 04:37 PM

Radio recording quality: sample at 44 KHz instead of 32 KHz.

Recording format: save into .mp3 instead of .wav

Play order: if playing songs by artist - album, go to next album, or next artist once the album finishes playing. Right now you can only repeat the same song forever, repeat all the songs in the album forever, or repeat none (stop at the end of album).

Shuffle algorithm: mentioned in some post above. The pseudorandom generator is totally flawed. Randomize the playlist once, and play in order within the randomly generated playlist. Include a new command to randomize the playlist again, so that one can re-randomize at will.

Old 10-21-2006, 07:24 PM

volume fade out when turning off the player!

Old 10-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Insignia Moderator

When charging via an AC adapter, the screen should turn off!

Why do we have to eat up perfectly good LCD/backlight hours just to show the stupid battery animation? Why not use the wheel to show it's charging instead? Like maybe the wheel could flash once every 3 or so seconds while charging.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:41 PM

Default Font Smoothing

Font smoothing has been added for the Rhapsody series of the e200, can Sandisk add font smoothing to the original e200 model? It uses the same hardware, so it shouldn't be that difficult should it? The fonts look really ugly right now and could be so much better.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:58 PM

Delete straight from the device!

Old 10-24-2006, 04:51 PM

(Some of this is already on the list, but I'm not sure the behavior comes through.)

The "Enqueue" feature -- which I would vote to call "Add to Now Playing," since that's what Windows Media calls it -- should be accessable from ANY point in the file tree. That is, you can select an entire genre, then choose "Add to Now Playing" and it would play every file in the genre in the natural order. Or you could select an artist, or an album, or just a song. (The same would presumably go for pictures and videos, too.)

To do this, the Play/Pause and Submenu buttons would no longer just be up and down. (Why is that needed, anyway?) Instead, the Submenu button should always produce a menu with at least this option on it. (The menu could also allow you to stuff it in a playlist instead, or delete the item, or whatever.) Similarly, the play button should always go directly to playing the selection.

Thanks for listening! tTG

Old 10-24-2006, 10:41 PM

I have to reiterate and agree with the addition of what TheTallGuy posted above me about the On-The-Go playlists and the enqueing feature would be great, as well. I would love to see better implementation of the On-The-Go lists. I use them all the time on my Creative players and, in fact, iPods can even add genres, artists, playlists or albums to the On-The-Go list and tracks can be removed from the list, as well.

One other thing I would love to see implemented is less restriction on the size of album art in embedded tags. I have some tags that are just over 32k in size and don't show up on my E270R player. I have over 2000 tracks in my library and can't think of a good or easy way to fix this issue.

Third thing I would love to see is the customizable EQ in the Rhapsody series players and to be able to save up to 3 custom EQ presets.

Thanks so much,

Sandisk Sansa E280R + 4GB MicroSDHC (Rockbox baby), Sansa Fuze 4GB Red, Sansa 1GB Clip (2 of them) ($15.00 Buy.com!), Creative Zen 16GB, Zen Vision:M 30GB, Zen Vision:W 60GB, JVC FX66 Air Cushions.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:36 AM

i asked this earlier on the last sticky, but the thread was deleted before i saw the replies (if any) when the new firmware came out. what is the use of these suggestions? is there any confirmation that any san disk staff in a position to implement these suggestions are viewing these forums? or is someone from here actually passing on the suggestions onto someone in the sandisk staff who could again, implement our suggestions?

thanks for replying, just curious as to whether any of the excellent ideas will be looked at by someone in a position to take advantage of user feedback.

dont know if this was suggested...i couldnt see it anyway, but how about a study mode like iriver have, where you can set it to be off, skip forward 5secs, 10secs, 30secs, 1min........60min etc. this would be helpful when listening to a large audiobook type file where you want to quickly skip through to 3hours through it or something.

a nice alternative to a bookmarking feature. in the iriver t30, when this is turned on, the next/previous track button is used for this whilst study mode is on, so it can be done using the buttons available on the sansa. course, when you again want the buttons to be used to skip diirectly to the next track, or go back, you have to turn study mode off, else it will only skip back/forth by the amount set in the study mode set up options.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:12 AM

They really need to do away with the database building on powerup.

The other day I changed the artist on a track on my microSD so it would show in the list properly. After restarting the unit a few times, it never updated the artist list. I had to remove and reinsert the microSD before it picked up the change.

In short, it's not even rebuilding the db on boot.