android
Old 05-23-2008, 05:03 PM

Default Convince me to return my Zen 8 and order this!

Hey now! So I just picked up a Zen 8 GB about a week and a half ago. It's a pretty solid player. With the exception of SD card integration, it does everything you'd think it would do quite well.

One of the main reasons I bought my player is the screen quality. I saw it in the store and was highly impressed. Heck, I'm still impressed. I've seen from the spec sheets that the D2 is one of the few that also supports 24-bit color. That probably factors into the fact that the Zen has such a nice screen. How do the two displays compare? I saw in the review that the worst viewing angle for the D2 is from below. How does this affect viewing, if at all? Is it comparable to the Zen's top viewing angle?

How customizable is the UI? Sky blue and pea green don't really suit me! Also, are those really the perceived colors when using the player or just the result of photographing the screen with a flash? It will be tough to go from the Zen's interface to the D2's. Hell, the Zen has a more colorful and attractive interface than all of the iPods, except for the Touch, and it's just as easy to use.

One of the main reasons I've been researching the D2 is that, feature-wise, it's a very solid player and, at least on paper, it would be a lot like an older brother to my other mp3 player, the Sansa Clip. Both of the them completely slam the competition in SQ.

Speaking of that, how noticeable is the hiss that manifests in voice recordings and audio tracks? It was mentioned in the review as well. The Zen is pretty solid in that department, certainly better than the Clip!

Please no "Just buy it, you won't be disappointed"s. I want some solid feedback!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thread of interest.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-23-2008, 08:46 PM
ABI Invaluable

I’m not as tactful as BobbyRS, if you need convincing just keep playing with what you already own … you’ll see the light.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 05-23-2008, 11:57 PM

Yeah, yeah WSOD!

I've already read that thread and many others. I spent like four or five hours just scouring the internet for info on the two a couple days ago. I just can't seem to find answers to some of my questions. To put it simply:

1. How customizable is the D2's interface (obviously wallpaper but what about different colors for the play bar)?

2. Does it support video with resolutions beyond 320 x 240 (that way I don't have to downconvert)?

3. How well does ID3 tagging work on the unit? I heard there were some problems at least in earlier firmware.

4. Good voice recorder or no?

I'm sure I'll remember more questions. I just don't want to order something online to find out that I don't like it.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:29 AM

If I can say one thing about my experience with Creative products.

Crash.

I've owned 4 different creative mp3 players all 4 had issues with crashing.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansaRulez83 View Post
Yeah, yeah WSOD!

I've already read that thread and many others. I spent like four or five hours just scouring the internet for info on the two a couple days ago. I just can't seem to find answers to some of my questions. To put it simply:

1. How customizable is the D2's interface (obviously wallpaper but what about different colors for the play bar)?

2. Does it support video with resolutions beyond 320 x 240 (that way I don't have to downconvert)?

3. How well does ID3 tagging work on the unit? I heard there were some problems at least in earlier firmware.

4. Good voice recorder or no?

I'm sure I'll remember more questions. I just don't want to order something online to find out that I don't like it.
1. The interface is very customisable look here and here for examples.

2. The D2 dosent support videos with resolution above 320x240.

3. ID3 tagging works pretty well for me.

4. I think the voice recorder is pretty good, havent used it much though.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:22 PM

Everyone's needs are different, so it's hard to sway you in either direction. I bought a D2 last month, and here's why:

- Sound quality. I heard it was very good, and I have not been disappointed.
- OGG / FLAC support. I needed a player with this, so 95% of the players out there were eliminated in my search. Transcoding thousands of files to WMA / AAC / MP3 is out the question for me.
- Themes and skins. Similar to Rockbox, in that you can alter the UI to your needs.
- SD slot. I will always need more space on an music player, so additional storage is a must.
- Physical size vs video size. Because the player has no controls on the player face, it can be completely used for the video screen. It makes the screen large, but the player itself quite small.
- FM Radio and voice recorder. I actually use the voice recorder and it's better than the Sansa E200 I used to have. You can also get an optional cable to plug in an external mic, but I haven't tried that. yet.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:02 PM

To VCVC:

Those themes are ****ing insane and completely convinced me to get the player. The default... yuck! I think I might go for an iPod theme just for ****s and giggles!

To Roebeet:

I've been thinking about oggin and flacin it up

Yeah, I can understand the space thing. I think I might go for a 16GB transcend card (gotta stimulate the economy ). Any issues with stability compared to the 8GB?

Now to just return the Zen. It's not a bad player btw! It's just if you're gonna have a Sansa Clip and another player you have to go balls to the wall. I think the D2 qualifies while the Zen falls short.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
To VCVC:

Those themes are ****ing insane and completely convinced me to get the player. The default... yuck! I think I might go for an iPod theme just for ****s and giggles!

To Roebeet:

I've been thinking about oggin and flacin it up

Yeah, I can understand the space thing. I think I might go for a 16GB transcend card (gotta stimulate the economy ). Any issues with stability compared to the 8GB?

Now to just return the Zen. It's not a bad player btw! It's just if you're gonna have a Sansa Clip and another player you have to go balls to the wall. I think the D2 qualifies while the Zen falls short.

I had made the decision about 8 months ago to use OGG Vorbis as my standard lossy format, given that my Sansa E200 was Rockboxed. And I use FLAC for CD backups, mainly. So, 6 months later, I'm committed.

As for the SD slot, the only concerns I've read have been battery life - but it sounds like it's very small. The newest firmware ups the max file/folder limit btw, so keep that in mind when you buy that 16GB card. For more opinions on this subject, see the iaudiophile.net forum.

Last edited by roebeet; 05-24-2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Link update

Old 05-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Got my D2 and loving it - the ability to use almost ANY headphone without an amp was the clincher!!! Just got my Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 headphones and they ROCK!!! Don't really require much power to drive but I can hear the bass without having the mids and highs clouded over. And I owe this great sound all to my D2 (gotta admit that they sound great w/my S618 also). Tried them with an ipod classic (belongs to my sons friend) and what a disappointing experience. Totally flat across the board!!!

Old 05-25-2008, 12:02 AM

What's a good set of headphones to use with this player? I'm looking to spend no more than $50 or $60.

Right now I'm looking at the PX100's. I heard they were good for getting non-audiophiles on-board. Plus they're only $36 on Amazon. I am concerned that they may be kind of flimsy. Anyone have experience with them?

Old 05-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have those also and they are AMAZING phones - you will really love them paired w/the D2. Be forewarned that they are not designed to isolate you from outside noise as a set of IEM's would. But as an everyday set of phones its really hard to get a better buy then PX100's. I use them when at work and when walking through the streets as they allow you to hear your jams as well as whats going on around you. + at the price (same as I paid on Amazon by the way) you can't go wrong for something w/sq this good.
PS: They may look kind of cheap but they are actually very well made and the case that they come with allows you to pocket these suckers and not worry about busting em' up.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:46 AM

You can also consider AKG K26P. They clamp tighter to your ears than PX100, so bass is very solid. I use them everyday for years, with D2 all settings to flat except BBE set to 1, which clearly different D2's clarity from my previous Creative Stoneplus.

I'm looking to get Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 too just to squeeze any fantastic juice of this mighty D2.

Check out http://www.headphonereviews.org/ with more headphones you can choose.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:34 PM

ORDERED! High Fives all around!!!! Yes Yes Yes

Old 05-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
ORDERED! High Fives all around!!!! Yes Yes Yes
ENJOY !!!!

Old 05-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I’m not as tactful as BobbyRS....

Just doing my part with trying to keep the house organized my friend.

Yeah, I'm not here to debate over which players are superior since most are basically peoples opinions based on personal preferences. If someone says one player is better then another, than for them, it is. Who am I to say that they are wrong? I can merely state my views based upon what I think and like and hope that they help in a way to make someone’s decisions easier or more defined. I usually don't post in these types of threads since they usually just lead to a bunch of individuals (or groups) trying to pass their opinions off as facts and eventually just end up as arguments that prove nothing. I would much rather help people with real problems than to play the "my Dad can beat up your Dad" games. I have already stated my opinion on the Zen and D2 in the link above (if anyone is even interested). I see no need to repeat any of it in every thread someone posts comparing them.

Zen FAQ

Tags
clip, d2, zen