android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon D2/D2+

Old 05-17-2008, 02:09 AM

Default mtp device install fail 'The required section was not found in the INF.'

Hi,

I've just become the proud but very frustrated owner of a D2 DAB 4gb (f/w 4.55).
When I plug it into my pc it registers it as new hardware, says its a D2 and then tries to install the MTP device driver. It thinks about it for a bit then says:

'There was a problem installing this hardware. The required section was not found in the INF.'

I am running xp sp2 which was reinstalled about 4 months ago and I'm keeping it pretty tidy.
When I plug it into other pc's in the house it installs fine 1st time (both xp and vista) so I know its my pc but what to do?

I have spent all yesterday dredging the net about this but can't find a solution.

Can anyone help????

p.s. have installed mtp porting kit from microsoft with no effect.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-17-2008, 02:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

How about WMP11? Is it installed?

Old 05-17-2008, 06:21 AM

wmp11 was installed, but i've uninstalled it in an attempt to get the driver recognised

Old 05-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

When you open up the entry for the device in device manager, what does it say in the Device Status window? Anything about a error code (error code 10 or 18)? Below is from the Zen FAQ, but it should still apply here. Just substitute "Zen" with your device:

To verify that the MTP driver is being used:

1. In Device Manager, double left click on the Creative Zen listing under Portable Devices and select the Details Tab.
2. In the "Property" drop down box select "Inf Name" in. It should say "WPDMTP.INF".

To change the driver or install the driver in case of error:

1. In Device Manager, double left click on the Creative Zen listing under Portable Devices.
2. Select the Driver Tab and then select the Update Driver box.
3. Select the "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
4. Select MTP Device within the Model box and select the Next button.
5. Windows will then install the MTP driver for the Zen.
6. Select Close on the next two screens and Device Manager should show the Zen under Portable Devices as Creative Zen with no errors.

To force the Zen to use the MTP driver when connected and asked for drivers:

1. With the Zen connected, uninstall the Zen listing within Device Manager.

2. Using Windows Explorer, navigate into your windows/inf folder and "Copy" (not Cut) the wpdmtp.inf to your desktop.

3. Now connect your device and when it detects it as a new device, don't "automatically install driver. Select " click to specify the location..." and choose not to search for the driver. Click the option to specify what driver you want to use. Click next.

4. The next window should ask you what driver to use and the top of the list should say "show all devices." Click next.

5. The next window select "have disk" and point the path of the driver to the desktop where you put wpdmtp.inf and select OK.

It should then force the MTP driver to load for that device. You have now reinstalled all USB and USB host controller drivers and forced the Zen to use the correct MTP driver it is supposed to use. Again, try to see if your problem still exists.

If you can't install the driver when it is first detected or update it in device manager without an error code, try it this way:

1. With the Zen connected, right clicking on the driver when it shows in Device Manager and select Uninstall.
2. Then try and add the Zen as a MTP device using Add New Hardware Wizard in Control Manager.
3. Manually select the MTP Device and it will load the MTP driver for the Zen.
4. If you ever get prompted with anything saying that the device may not work properly or the driver isn't for that device, go through with it anyway.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-18-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
When you open up the entry for the device in device manager, what does it say in the Device Status window? Anything about a error code (error code 10 or 18)? Below is from the Zen FAQ, but it should still apply here. Just substitute "Zen" with your device:

To verify that the MTP driver is being used:

1. In Device Manager, double left click on the Creative Zen listing under Portable Devices and select the Details Tab.
2. In the "Property" drop down box select "Inf Name" in. It should say "WPDMTP.INF".

To change the driver or install the driver in case of error:

1. In Device Manager, double left click on the Creative Zen listing under Portable Devices.
2. Select the Driver Tab and then select the Update Driver box.
3. Select the "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
4. Select MTP Device within the Model box and select the Next button.
5. Windows will then install the MTP driver for the Zen.
6. Select Close on the next two screens and Device Manager should show the Zen under Portable Devices as Creative Zen with no errors.

To force the Zen to use the MTP driver when connected and asked for drivers:

1. With the Zen connected, uninstall the Zen listing within Device Manager.

2. Using Windows Explorer, navigate into your windows/inf folder and "Copy" (not Cut) the wpdmtp.inf to your desktop.

3. Now connect your device and when it detects it as a new device, don't "automatically install driver. Select " click to specify the location..." and choose not to search for the driver. Click the option to specify what driver you want to use. Click next.

4. The next window should ask you what driver to use and the top of the list should say "show all devices." Click next.

5. The next window select "have disk" and point the path of the driver to the desktop where you put wpdmtp.inf and select OK.

It should then force the MTP driver to load for that device. You have now reinstalled all USB and USB host controller drivers and forced the Zen to use the correct MTP driver it is supposed to use. Again, try to see if your problem still exists.

If you can't install the driver when it is first detected or update it in device manager without an error code, try it this way:

1. With the Zen connected, right clicking on the driver when it shows in Device Manager and select Uninstall.
2. Then try and add the Zen as a MTP device using Add New Hardware Wizard in Control Manager.
3. Manually select the MTP Device and it will load the MTP driver for the Zen.
4. If you ever get prompted with anything saying that the device may not work properly or the driver isn't for that device, go through with it anyway.

Ok,

Doesn't say anything in device manager 'cos it never completes installation.

a) Can't do that cos it never installs

b) same as a.

c) Tried that, and got a copy from another xp machine and neither work. Come up with same error.

d) Think I've tried it too. No success. (am away atm will confirm when i get back.)

Thanks for your suggestions. It really starting to pi55 me off. I've succesfully connected to work laptop too now aswell

Old 05-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Those directions should work if MTP is working properly. At this point, since you mention none work for you, I am questioning if MTP is even working correctly or installed properly. What version of WMP do you have installed? Have you tried reinstalling (or upgrading to if you don't have version 11 installed) WMP11? WinXP is only MTP compliant if WMP10 or version 11 is installed.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Those directions should work if MTP is working properly. At this point, since you mention none work for you, I am questioning if MTP is even working correctly or installed properly. What version of WMP do you have installed? Have you tried reinstalling (or upgrading to if you don't have version 11 installed) WMP11? WinXP is only MTP compliant if WMP10 or version 11 is installed.
So am i. Its wmp 11, but like I said I'm away atm so I'm not sure of the exact version. I kno that microsoft says I'm up to date tho when I check for updates. yeah have tried reinstalling. no effect.

xref for parallel thread in iaudiophile.net:

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21578

Old 05-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I would uninstall WMP11 and see what version it reverts back to. If it rolls back to WMP10, try connecting again. If it still doesn't work, reinstall WMP11 again. Follow the directions here regarding uninstalling WMP.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-18-2008, 04:47 PM

Why not simply use MSC mode instead of going through all that MTP hassle? MSC is better/faster/more stable in every aspect, except maybe for playlist support.

WMP11 should work with MSC players as well, if you really want to use WMP.

Good thing you have a choice with Cowon players.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Why not simply use MSC mode instead of going through all that MTP hassle? MSC is better/faster/more stable in every aspect, except maybe for playlist support.

WMP11 should work with MSC players as well, if you really want to use WMP.

Good thing you have a choice with Cowon players.
For playlists. I use MusicIP which generates playlists and can send them to WMP or winamp etc. Want to put the playlists on my D2.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:00 AM

Quote:
I would uninstall WMP11 and see what version it reverts back to. If it rolls back to WMP10, try connecting again. If it still doesn't work, reinstall WMP11 again. Follow the directions here regarding uninstalling WMP.
uninstalled wmp11 and plugged in the D2. Same issue. (didn't roll back to wmp 10 afaikt)

Old 05-24-2008, 07:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

What version did it roll back to (if it rolled back at all) if not WMP10, WMP9? Check out this link on removing WMP if it is being stubborn. You will need at least WMP10 in order for WinXP to be MTP compliant.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-24-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
What version did it roll back to (if it rolled back at all) if not WMP10, WMP9? Check out this link on removing WMP if it is being stubborn. You will need at least WMP10 in order for WinXP to be MTP compliant.

Didn't roll back at all. Had no wmp after uninstall.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:39 PM

solved on thread @ iaudiophile. WMP11 wasn't uninstalling when I thought it was.
Thanks for your advice everyone.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good to hear. From my post (#8) on the 18th:

Quote:
Follow the directions here regarding uninstalling WMP.
The link had the solution.

Zen FAQ