android
Old 05-10-2008, 10:43 PM

Default File folder browsing mode?

Hi All,

Sorry if this question has been answered but I could not find the definitive answer after looking through the threads. I am seriously considering buying the Clip as I think it'll be a great gym companion. Mostly my requirements of an mp3 player are: small. And maybe good battery life.

The one thing that concerns me is the ID3-only browsing mode. Too many of my music files have no ID3 information (Artist: Unknown). I could go through and label them all, but...ugh.

Basically, does anyone know if SanDisk has any intentions of releasing a File folder browsing mode for the Clip?

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Redneck Moderator

I haven't heard anything about file-folder on the clip. I really wish they would though, cause ID3 is useless.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:58 AM

The answer for the immediate future would be no, every player on the market uses ID3 but few. The clip is a great player and don’t let a little thing like ID3 tags scare you off. There are plenty of good free applications, a very good one I use is Mp3tag and Slaughter wrote up a basic guide here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 05-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Right now, no plans to allow file browsing have been announced. It seems unlikely.

However: a firmware upgrade should be coming out hopefully this coming week. With it, one will be able to drop audiobooks and podcasts into a folder and the Clip will show them on the display based on the filename. It seems to me, from the description, that one might be able to put one's entire collection into that folder and have the files show by filename. The trade-off could be that the ID3 tag info. is entirely ignored. And this isn't true folder navigation, especially if sub-folders are not possible.

We'll have to see how the upgrade comes out and whether this kludge is feasible.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
<snip> ID3 is useless.
Beg to differ here. ID3 tags are far from useless, if you understand how to use them effectively and consistently - I think you will have a different outlook.

I hated them myself at first but now advocate their use; to me it makes far more sense for the media file itself to carry the necessary information, than for the filesystem to be responsible for sorting. There's no practical way you can replicate all the data in the id3 tag structure by using a folder hierarchy.

Furthermore, by using .m3u playlists, you can arrange music in any order and sequence you want, regardless of how & where it is located on a given storage device, hierarchically...

Old 05-13-2008, 05:54 PM

Rant:

I wish it had file/folder browsing - ID3 browsing is abysmal. I'm one of the people that actually SORT their music very meticulously, so ID3 browsing just messes everything up and takes me longer to find what I'm looking for.

Death to ID3 browsing - it originated from the laziness of the lowest common denominator, and I sure won't stand for that. My files are fine, and I *do* find them in a list that's sorted the way *I* want it, not like some retarded algorithm tells me to.

ID3 browsing is too stupid to recognize nested or hierarchic tags and genres - for everyone that's got an eclectic taste of music it doesn't work at all. Sorting by crap like Rock/Pop doesn't work for me at all. I do listen to more eclectic stuff than ID3 browsing wants me to. And don't get me started on "various artists" albums... that's the worst for ID3 browsing.

Good thing I only use my Clip for jogging and biking... for serious listening I got my Cowon players which get file/folder browsing right.

Ok, this is just my opinion, of course... YMMV.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I play by folder (mostly albums here), but love the db searching ability of tags (with the right software).

Old 05-21-2008, 10:18 AM

in my opinion-- if file/folder play was added, the clip would become the perfect mp3 player...

Old 05-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, yeah, if it had 128 gb of flash memory.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Redneck Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click View Post
Beg to differ here. ID3 tags are far from useless, if you understand how to use them effectively and consistently - I think you will have a different outlook.

I hated them myself at first but now advocate their use; to me it makes far more sense for the media file itself to carry the necessary information, than for the filesystem to be responsible for sorting. There's no practical way you can replicate all the data in the id3 tag structure by using a folder hierarchy.

Furthermore, by using .m3u playlists, you can arrange music in any order and sequence you want, regardless of how & where it is located on a given storage device, hierarchically...
You make me lol. I'm a bit more like dfkt, I organize my music how I want it, so when I go to use it I know EXACTLY where it is, can get to any song in a matter of seconds. But once ID3 steps in everything is messed up, I don't listen to whole albums usually, I don't stick to one genre, So for me, yes, tags ARE useless. Its a good thing I always have random on for my clip and only use it while working, otherwise I wouldn't be able to stand it.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:42 AM

I wanted to play MP3's in numerical order, my naming scheme is Track # - Artist - Track title.mp3, e.g. 02 - Iced Earth - Melancholy (Holy Martyr).mp3
It just doesn't play them in order, if I select Artists, it plays tracks by alphabetic order of album titles, first album that starts with AB, then the one that starts with AC and so on.
Any way I could edit ID3 tags so it would play tracks in order?

Old 07-19-2008, 11:58 AM

Unfortunately, the file naming scheme doesn't matter at all for the Clip, it only cares about ID3 tags. Use MP3Tag or something else to get your tags in order.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:54 AM

Only way I see is to delete Album titles from ID3 tags and number the tracks. If you leave album titles and just number the tracks, it would still play them by album titles first. This would take too much time, so it's not an option.

1. Selecting "Play All" will ignore artist and track numbers and will play by alphabetic order of track titles
2. Selecting "Artists -> Play All" will play by alphabetic order of artist titles first, then by alphabetic order of album titles and then by track numbers in ID3
3. Selecting "Artists -> an artist -> Play All" will play the same, but just the selected artist
4. Selecting "Artists -> an artist -> an album -> a track" is by far the stupidest choice you can make, requires at least 7 clicks if you see Music on screen
5. Selecting "Albums -> Play All" will play all albums in alphabetic order, tracks from same album will play in order of Track # in ID3
6. Selecting "Albums -> an album -> a track" is my favourite choice, but you must have complete albums, not separate songs from different albums
7. Selecting "Songs -> a song" is also very nice, because the player scrolls really fast between songs
8. Selecting Genres is useless if you listen to one type of music, and even if you do listen to various genres, you would have to edit all the ID3's
9. Playlists sounds cool, but making playlists on a player takes too much time, at least it plays them in the prefered order

This applies to other Sansa's also, at least the ones I own, completely the same menus on all three. Until they enable file browsing, I'm sticking to option 6 and playing album by album. Actually, that's also my preference when using Winamp.
2x Clip 2GB + FM V01.01.29F (original FW V01.01.18F), 2.6MB/s W, 4.4MB/s R

Last edited by GrimReaper; 07-20-2008 at 10:26 AM.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:37 PM

Now I created playlists as it is described in sticky.

I have some additions to this:
1. Player MUST be in MTP mode.
2. You don't have to drag music into Playlists folder, it doesn't matter where you put it, I have MP3's in Music folder and playlists in Playlists folder.
3. After playlists are created, you can rename folders/files all you like, I guess it finds the files by file size or ID3 tags.
4. You MUST right click on the first track if you want the correct play order, if you have music in folders, you can also right click the folder.
Before you start making playlists, I suggest you have files numbered 01, 02 and so on.
5. Once playlists are created you can play them in MSC mode also.
2x Clip 2GB + FM V01.01.29F (original FW V01.01.18F), 2.6MB/s W, 4.4MB/s R

Last edited by GrimReaper; 08-03-2008 at 04:53 AM.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:27 AM

I'm very interested in the Clip but seriously concerned about the lack of file/folder browsing and the duplicates issue. In my computer HD I have MP3s organised in subfolders by Artist and further by Album. The files are named only by Title (Artist, Album and Track # in metadata as usual). As you know (jazz) Artists may have several versions of the same Title. As they are in different Album folders that's not an issue. But how would I manage this with the Clip? I wouldn't like to have the trouble of messing up the current naming and adding version numbers for each duplicate Title since there are quite many of them. I would want to play music strictly by Album and in original Track order. Thanks for any comments!

Old 03-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Copy the folder to the Clip. Create a playlist with the music from that folder in the order that you want using Winamp. Save the playlist.

You should be good to go.

Steve

Old 03-03-2009, 07:42 AM

i also hate id3tag browsing. even thought my files are meticulously tagged, it doesn't work for me. i usually like to browse via artist first to find the album i want. but this is rendered useless on the clip because my artists list is completely saturated by the dozens and dozens of artists from compilation albums/singles. and browsing by album title first doesn't feel natural to me.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:47 AM

Same here, ID3 browsing is too unintelligent and inflexible for my needs. So I'm looking forward to the day when Rockbox on the Clip finally plays audio without hiccups. They're making good progress, it can't be long until I can ditch the crappy stock firmware once and for all.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2003 View Post
i also hate id3tag browsing. even thought my files are meticulously tagged, it doesn't work for me. i usually like to browse via artist first to find the album i want. but this is rendered useless on the clip because my artists list is completely saturated by the dozens and dozens of artists from compilation albums/singles. and browsing by album title first doesn't feel natural to me.

This exactly how I would like browse and exactly the problem I'm worried about! So currently possible only through playlists as FreeZ5 suggests? Hmm, 100 albums, 100 playlists?? Besides the trouble of making the playlists, I wonder how much capacity would this sh*tload of playlists consume...

Old 03-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A couple of good folks at the SanDisk Clip forum have issued out playlist programs which automatically will create playlists out of your Clip folders.