android
Old 05-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default How Well Does Zune Gapless Work?

Has anyone been able to get gapless to work? I've tried with no sucess, but I suspect there may be a hidden caveat, that it's for WMA files, and I don't have any to test that suspicion. All I know is I haven't gotten it to work for MP3s.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-06-2008, 10:04 AM
ABI Founder

Gapless is working for me for ALL zune market place stuff and nearly all of my ripped MP3s. Occasionally, there is a slight anomaly in between songs, more of a mis-sync than a gap. Happens more so on older rips. I wonder if it has anything to do with the rips. I will have to test on new rips.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Seems to be working for me...i hear some hiccups but it could be the media...sometimes live albums aren't truly seamless jumping from one track to another, and i don't have many live albums to begin with...i guess a true test would be to take a track, split it somewhere in the middle with an editing program and play them back to back and see how that transition is, rather than assuming the live albums have a true track transition...

Old 05-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Must be a rip issue with some of my albums, I don't have many albums that are supposed to be gapless in the first place, but I have confirmed gapless works with MP3s.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

True gapless playback is when an album plays back exactly the way an artist intended. A true test would be Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon. Splitting a track in half and playing it back successfully with no noticeable gaps is more like skip free playback, IMO.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
True gapless playback is when an album plays back exactly the way an artist intended. A true test would be Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon. Splitting a track in half and playing it back is more like skip free playback, IMO.
and you are supposed to know how the artist intended?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
and you are supposed to know how the artist intended?
Absolutely!
Basically I listen to an album from its source and then again after I encode it. If the playback is identical I know for sure gapless is working.

Better definition: When there is no pause in playback between the end of one audio file and the beginning of the next audio file.
LINK

Old 05-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

well, if you don't have a Zune, get one and let us know how that goes for ya! lol

Old 05-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Now that gapless playback is available I am definitely thinking of getting one. That is one of the main reasons why I went the iPod route.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Absolutely!
Basically I listen to an album from its source and then again after I encode it. If the playback is identical I know for sure gapless is working.

Better definition: When there is no pause in playback between the end of one audio file and the beginning of the next audio file.
LINK
and with that definition, how does my method not suffice in determining if the playback is gapless? When you play a live CD, sometimes there's a jitter that you can't tell if it's the player or if thats how the CD actually is...if you take a file, cut it in half, and play them back to back and it plays as though it's 1 file with no jump in the audio, then the gapless is working...

Old 05-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Well, as long as the playback is seamless that is true gapless playback. I seriously doubt if if this can be accomplished by cutting a file in half and playing it back, especially if using MP3 encoding. I believe when a CD or album is interpreted as gapless playback it is determined between the song tracks themselves. I am not qualified to answer if cutting a song in half would be interpreted the same way. I guess this would be a good test, however.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

lol, i know it's between the tracks...my point is that if you take one track, cut it at a point mid song, thus making two separate tracks, they should play back to back as though they were one if the playback was truly gapless..

Old 05-06-2008, 12:35 PM

MP3 files cannot be "gapless" by default, there's trailing data at the beginning and end of an MP3 file, leading to these dreaded gaps. The MP3 specs are from the 1980ies, and someone obviously forgot about that rather important issue back then. So every player that plays MP3s gapless uses some trick or other to achieve that.

And yes, if you cut an MP3 file properly in the middle (considering MP3s are structured with frames, not single bits or bytes), it should be the same as a consecutive files - either gapless works or it doesn't.

Ogg Vorbis, WMA, AAC, etc, are much younger and more versatile codecs and containers, and gapless is much less hassle with those.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
MP3 files cannot be "gapless" by default, there's trailing data at the beginning and end of an MP3 file, leading to these dreaded gaps. The MP3 specs are from the 1980ies, and someone obviously forgot about that rather important issue back then. So every player that plays MP3s gapless uses some trick or other to achieve that.

And yes, if you cut an MP3 file properly in the middle (considering MP3s are structured with frames, not single bits or bytes), it should be the same as a consecutive files - either gapless works or it doesn't.

Ogg Vorbis, WMA, AAC, etc, are much younger and more versatile codecs and containers, and gapless is much less hassle with those.
Might want to mention how LAME encoded MP3's get around this problem for players that support it.

Speaking of LAME, I'd venture a guess that an mp3 file split in two may not playback gaplessly if the exact track length information isn't updated accordingly.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:27 PM

Well, the LAME --nogap flag is not supported by anything except Rockbox, as far as I know about DAPs. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I never use --nogap anyways (since it messes up more than it fixes, at least for unsupported apps), and both my Trekstor Vibez and Rockboxed Cowon X5 play regular LAME -v0 quite fine without gaps.

If you cut an MP3 track properly with apps like MP3DirectCut, the header info gets updated, so you should be fine... the emphasis is on "properly"...

Old 05-06-2008, 06:38 PM

MP3DirectCut? Cool. Learn some new every day.

--nogap is an old flag. With newer versions of LAME it's assumed you don't want gaps.

-V0 is what I use, too. Just watch out for tracks with mp3 ID3v1 tag info. I find this can break gaplessness on the vibez (causes the second track to start a fraction of a second too soon). Since I use WMP and WMP wants to add ID3V1 tag info every chance it gets, I've reverted to Ogg Vorbis to avoid this problem for now.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:44 PM

Sweet, didn't know that --nogap is deprecated... good riddance.

I use Tag&Rename for tagging, and I only use ID3v2.3, so I didn't notice any misbehaving... good to know about ID3v1.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:56 PM

Works fine on 320 kbps MP3's with no silence (or lower volume) between the songs.