android
Old 05-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

All mp3 players should allow a choice of browsing by folder or ID3 tag. Give people a choice. I would also like to see mp3 players have a very customizable display, and very customizable menus. Let people decide exactly what they want to see on the display, and how large each item is displayed. Let them choose exactly what is on the menus, and have functions the user doesn't use not even be displayed. If the user changes his mind, then they could later be displayed. Use an inexpensive removable battery, and package a spare battery and a charger to charge the spare outside the player. In addition to disliking built in batteries, I also don't like charging a battery while it is inside a player. The heat given off by doing so is not good for the player circuitry, and probably shortens the player's life.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-18-2008, 11:29 AM

What you're asking for would really bring prices up and probably end up appealing to less people. If you want a flexible GUI get a Samsung P2

Old 05-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Why must it be a proprietary connector or mini USB? Why can't a player have both? Another approach could be a proprietary connector that incorporates a mini USB socket, so one could either connect a larger proprietary plug or a standard mini USB plug to the same jack.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:06 PM

you're second suggestion isn't bad but again what's the specific problem with the propriety, its not like Sansa cables are expensive or as hard to find as say a Philips GoGear cable

Old 05-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

They are hard to find though, since I probably can't buy one at my local Staples or Radio Shack.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Redneck Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nice View Post
you're second suggestion isn't bad but again what's the specific problem with the propriety, its not like Sansa cables are expensive or as hard to find as say a Philips GoGear cable
Ok, lets say that I lose my proprietary sansa plug, but I happen to notice that I've lost it because I'm trying to charge my player, right? So I go on ebay, order another one. a week and a half later, it shows up in the mail. Now, did you catch what happened there? I went over a WEEK without my player, thats just not acceptable.
Now imagine this, I lose my mini USB B cable... I walk over to my junk drawer and grab one of the 20 I have in there, problem solved. I went like 10 seconds without my player.
If they want to have a proprietary plug, they should also have a USB one on it.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:48 PM

buy another cable and put it in the drawer when you buy the player

Old 05-24-2008, 10:04 AM

It would nice if sandisk could add microsdhc support to V1 sansas.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:55 PM

Default Why USB-mini? Here's why

I'll tell you why for ME, at least, a USB mini plug is mandatory. I use my MP3 player as a mass storage flash drive. It goes in my pocket along with my cell phone. In order to plug it into a machine when I'm moving around at the office or at home, I do NOT want to have to remember to bring my proprietary cable with me, and I'm not about to pay extra to have more than one at different locations. With a mini USB port, if there isn't a cable readily available, all I have to have with me is one of those little USB-to-USBmini adaptors, a less than an inch long. If I'm afraid the MP3 player will put too much weight on the adaptor or port because it won't rest on the desktop when plugged in, I use a flexible male-to-female adaptor and it hangs down so it can reach the desktop. DONE.

I agree with JK98 that they should be able to incorporate a USB-mini plug into a proprietary design if they want to make docking possible. By the way I dock mine without a proprietary port. I bought a Hummingbird all-in-one USB hub and card reader. The hub is a little disc-shaped base. The card reader sits vertically in a notch in the top of the hub. They connect via a little USB-mini plug (not port) sticking up in the bottom of the notch. My MP3 player sits in the notch right on that plug just fine.