android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players > MP3 Player User Reviews

Old 04-29-2008, 10:58 PM

Default Sony NWZ-A828 My Review + *eye candy*

Hey everybody,

I just bought last saturday the NWZ-A828. This is the 8gb model w/ bluetooth that comes with the sony DR-BT21G bluetooth headphones for $270

I must say so far I love this! 4/5 stars. I would give it 5 stars if had the FM radio featured on their cheaper model, as well as a built in noise cancelling function.

The walkman has an incredible and much better battery than the new ipod nano. Also, compared to the nano it has a .4' bigger screen that is made out of glass opposed to Ipod's plastic. The player itself looks great. The screen has very good quality and is a good size. If your familar with the Sony Video Walkmans, you know you can rotate a video or picture to go either horizontal or vertical.

also, the player is made out of quality and I'd say superior materials compared to an Ipod nano. It has a nice chrome strip around the side of it, similar to their former A810 series.

The 5 way button pad is very easy to use and after just a few hours using it, you get very used to it an it feels natural.

This model comes with the bluetooth headphones, but It also comes with the nice in ear headphones that they give you with their 16GB model. On sonystyles "included in the box" section under specs, it just says it comes with the bluetooth headphones, but it does come with both.

This player is a great buy. An ipod 8 gb nano is $200 and lacks bluetooth capability, as well as a longer battery life and a glass screen.

The extra $70 dollars spent on this player is well worth it because, you get a $100 pair of bluetooth heaphones, as well as a $60 pair of sony damn good quality in ear buds.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-30-2008, 02:35 AM

It is a very pretty player, I must admit.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:22 AM

my fotos

Last edited by WalkGood; 06-29-2008 at 11:21 AM.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The D2 and the Sony make a SEXY couple!!! DAMN!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 12:16 PM

wow blacklist great screen shots! all of mine came out blurry...

For anyone considering purchasing this or to anyone who already has I recommend buying a screen protector for it so the beautiful screen doesn't get scratched. If you buy them from sony there 10 bucks for 2 of them.. RIPOFF..

i bought mine from this site for $1.40 + free shipping, only con is it takes about 2 1/2 weeks to get to you if you live in the US b/c they're being shipped from Hong Kong.

This one will cover just the screen, perfectly may i add.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3793

and this one will cover the entire screen meaning from where it says sony on the top.. to below the walkman icon above the button pad.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3795

This website is reliable and the screen guards are EXCELLENT quality. I currently am Using the 2.4" protector, but I just placed an order for 3.0" b/c i want the whole screen covered and protected

hope that helps, enjoy!

Old 04-30-2008, 12:54 PM

Man, that's one of the sleekest players I've ever seen. Ipod got pwnt again Watch out a bit since I saw you broke your ipod screen, you don't want it to happen to this beautiful thing.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:23 PM

haha ya controllerboy will do actually wat happened to the screen was i was in another country.. and the normal wall charger made by apple says it converts international wattage and all.. well one morning i unplugged my ipod.. walked outside and when i turned it on.. BAM.. LCD blew up in my face

Old 05-03-2008, 02:43 AM

Hey...nice pics. How does the D2 compare with the 828 in terms of sound quality? What kind of music do you listen to? I listen to classical and vocals (pop, acapella) mostly and am wondering which would be better for my music.

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2008, 02:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm waiting for a 32gb model and then I'm THERE!!! The new Sony lineup is just so HOTT!!! Damn, I'm jealous!!! ENJOY THOSE PLAYERS MAN!!!

Old 05-03-2008, 03:13 AM

hi wjwjwj.i listen hardcore,metal and punk.Sony sound is better than D2,mainly mediums and bass are cleaner.my classification:Cowon D2-80%,Sony A829-90%,Cowon Q5-95%

Old 05-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklist View Post
hi wjwjwj.i listen hardcore,metal and punk.Sony sound is better than D2,mainly mediums and bass are cleaner.my classification:Cowon D2-80%,Sony A829-90%,Cowon Q5-95%
Don't let 1 of the iAudio mods hear you

Old 05-04-2008, 12:19 PM

I sold my D2 away for the Samsung YP-P2 because it sounded better to me. I guess the D2 is only good for the ears of the masses?

Old 05-04-2008, 02:14 PM

Default oo just forget

just to let you guys know..

ive had like every ipod in the book seriously and I can tell you that these Sony players sound INCREDIBLY better than any ipod. not to mention they have cool surround settings where you change any song to sound like your in a club or in an arena.. its sick (cool)

o and the sony SUPPLIED headphones are 50 times better than apples POS 3 cent thailand factory made headphones.

sony for the win!

Old 05-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Samsung Moderator

Pack your bags, we're moving to the user review section

Old 05-04-2008, 11:54 PM

Outstanding review. I'm glad to see at least one other person that has the same feelings about Sony's latest offering(s) that I do! They're a little too expensive for what you seem to get in return, but as I've been thoroughly enjoying my a829 every single day since I got it, it was well worth the bucks.

The audio quality still completely blows me away each time I power it up. I use the Bose earbuds that nobody else likes (and I understand why), but I am being completely honest when I tell you that this player IS MADE FOR THEM if you're willing to entertain some ... unusual ... EQ settings. I have a number of headphones here, some regarded as "reference" models, and I am still unable to match this combination (a829 + Bose buds) with MP3-based audio. The included earbuds are OK, but not as well matched as they could have been, IMO. I gave them to my wife and she's very very happy with them in conjunction with her Sansa e280. "Comfy" and "Wow - I've never heard that before" are the comments I got.

All I really want to add here is a note on Sony's accessories. I got the black silicone case ($20 @ Best Buy) and it fits like a glove. No complaints there at all, it's perfect. The Sony branded screen protector that comes with the case is a little more thin/flimsy than I would have expected, but serves the purpose just fine.

I also added the Sony brand belt clip on mine. It's not designed to be used with the silicone sleeve, and I had to make a small hole in the sleeve (at the upper screw hole) to accomodate it. A few seconds with an X-Acto knife and a good bit of patience is required to combine these accessories, I believe Sony should have considered this combination up front. The belt clip is kinda cool, though, in that it's also an adjustable Landscape-mode stand for those into video. There is a lot of attention to detail all around here to appreciate, even if they did drop the ball a little thinking nobody would combine the silicone case and the belt clip.

I should also reiterate a couple negatives that have been mentioned in the a820 forum already:

- You cannot charge this unit out of the box without a PC that's awake (no sleep mode or USB-only power charging). It's assumed that the Sony dock can charge without an active MTP connection, but buyer beware as it hasn't been proven that I've seen.

- Manual drag-and-drop of tracks outside of WMP may not provide the library everything you expect to see. The Year tag seems to be the big problem there.

- Personal peeve: I cannot find a way to hide tracks completely from the library. I got the impression from the manual that if I manually copied things on the player outside of it's "Music" folder, they would NOT be included in the library and only accessible via the "Folders" view. This is annoying only because I like to listen to new albums a few times before deciding what tracks to include permanently. The a829 finds them anyway, and includes them in the "Shuffle All" feature. Annoying for me.

I must close by reiterating how much I've truly and absolutely enjoyed owning my a829 so far. The negatives are not that bad, and very easily overlooked. If they would drop the price $50, I really believe Apple might finally have a worthy competitor in Sony.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Pack your bags, we're moving to the user review section
I LOVE IT!!! And an EXCELLENT REVIEW!!!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:52 AM

anyway how is the bluetooth headphone performed? I heard it sucks where it always cuts off easily..

Old 06-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I just ordered a A829 so I'm gonna' be a defector!!! Sony, here I come!!!! At least I can have playlists now (D2 ain't so good with em'). + Sony does BT so I'll get a car radio either w/a line in or BT. YAY!!!!

Old 06-21-2008, 06:31 PM

One thing that disgusts me about these Sony players is that they have these nice beautiful big screens, yet the album art is so frickin small.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticstylez View Post
One thing that disgusts me about these Sony players is that they have these nice beautiful big screens, yet the album art is so frickin small.
That and I can't customize the home screen, and the clock is a screen saver!!!