android
Old 07-08-2008, 10:09 PM

btw my playlist's file is .PLC

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-13-2008, 04:56 PM

Default This worked for me

Hello, I'm not sure if everyone realizes this, so I thought I would post just in case. I was looking for an easy way to make a playlist without any other "media libraries" that needed to be synced up, etc. I went to my Sansa Fuze in Windows Explorer and went to my music files, right-clicked on one of them and on the context menu, there's an option to 'Create Playlist'. It created a new New Playlist.pla file in the same folder as the song. When you right-click on the .pla file, go to Properties, one of the tabs (References) has a window with the song you just right-clicked, and you will also see arrows and a delete button at the bottom for arranging the songs. If you then move this window over so that you can see the Explorer window also, you can drag your songs from any folder on your Sansa to the playlist window, re-arrange them how you like, and just click OK when done. I don't know if you have to, but I then moved the .pla file to the Playlists folder on the Sansa, and it appears on the Playlists list, and plays the songs with info and album art. You can also rename your .pla file of course.

Sorry if everyone knew this already!

Old 07-13-2008, 11:13 PM

that sounds intresting... i'll try it.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Lamboda View Post
Hello, I'm not sure if everyone realizes this, so I thought I would post just in case. I was looking for an easy way to make a playlist without any other "media libraries" that needed to be synced up, etc. I went to my Sansa Fuze in Windows Explorer and went to my music files, right-clicked on one of them and on the context menu, there's an option to 'Create Playlist'. It created a new New Playlist.pla file in the same folder as the song. When you right-click on the .pla file, go to Properties, one of the tabs (References) has a window with the song you just right-clicked, and you will also see arrows and a delete button at the bottom for arranging the songs. If you then move this window over so that you can see the Explorer window also, you can drag your songs from any folder on your Sansa to the playlist window, re-arrange them how you like, and just click OK when done. I don't know if you have to, but I then moved the .pla file to the Playlists folder on the Sansa, and it appears on the Playlists list, and plays the songs with info and album art. You can also rename your .pla file of course.

Sorry if everyone knew this already!
This is a feature of WMP's integration with Windows Explorer. Should work Ok if you are using MTP mode.

For MSC mode, Winamp has a similar feature. Select files on the Fuze in Windows Explorer, right click and select "Enqueue in Winamp". Do this with whatever files you like then in Winamp's playlist editor, click the Manage Playlists button, choose "Save Playlist..." and save to the Fuze's Music folder. You can rearrage the song order first by dragging files up or down in the playlist editor or using one of the sorting options from the Misc button.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:52 PM

Thanks Skinjob, yes that makes sense that it's WMP integration. BTW - unfortunately this method did not work for me as far as video files - I could make the playlist but it showed up empty in the Fuze. It would've been nice to make a playlist of videos but it didn't work. Could Winamp do that in MSC mode? Or does the Fuze only support music playlists? They're just links to files anyway, right?

Old 07-15-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Lamboda View Post
Thanks Skinjob, yes that makes sense that it's WMP integration. BTW - unfortunately this method did not work for me as far as video files - I could make the playlist but it showed up empty in the Fuze. It would've been nice to make a playlist of videos but it didn't work. Could Winamp do that in MSC mode? Or does the Fuze only support music playlists? They're just links to files anyway, right?
Good question. Winamp will definitely create the playlist OK with videos. Unfortunately, I'm at work and don't have my Fuze to try it out right now.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:47 PM

Default Solution

I found this thread while trying to figure this out, so I thought I would give back by posting what I eventually found out.
I created an .m3u playlist with vlc, saved it in vlc, opened it in notepad, deleted all the directory info by copying the "c:/documents blah blah", pasting it into the replace dialog, and replacing all the instances with an empty string. Saved it in notepad, copied the file and pasted it into the directory on the fuze that contains the mp3 files. Aparently the fuze will discover the playlist no matter where you put it. I unpluggged the fuze, opened the playlist, and the mp3s were there in the order I put them in the playlist.
Thanks all.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:35 PM

Default Found solution

http://spicifer.blogspot.com/2008/07...buntu-804.html

You have to have the line endings in Windows mode (e.g. \r\n). You also may need the #EXTM3U and an #EXTM3U info line for each song. I just got this to work:

[myprompt]:MUSIC$> more narrow6.m3u
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:259,foo
headphones\Narrow Stairs\01-death_cab_for_cutie-bixby_canyon_bridge.mp3

This file is in the "MUSIC" subdirectory. Within that directory is a 'headphones' directory. So that should explain it. Each line has \r\n (I used 'unix2dos' on Mac OS X to convert it after I created it with vi).

Old 08-18-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusecks View Post
You also may need the #EXTM3U and an #EXTM3U info line for each song.
The #EXTINF line for each song is not necessary, but the main #EXTM3U header is. It doesn't hurt anything to have the #EXTINF lines, but they aren't needed.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dahl View Post
I've updated the Sansa Fuze Playlist Creater to make it more useable.
It creates/refreshes your playlists based on the directory structure of your \MUSIC directory.

If a playlist already exists, it will preserve the play order and add/delete entries as needed. Also you can re-arrange to play order of songs using drag & drop.

I've found the program essential for me to manage my songs by dropping them into directories (artist and album) without having to synchronize with a windows based media player.

Hope you find it useful also.

Jerry Dahl
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for the program. Gave it a try in the root directory (Internal Memory) of Fuze. Get an error saying "\MUSIC directory not found". Any suggestions?

Old 09-22-2008, 07:35 AM

When the fuse playlist creator runs it is expecting to find the directory "\music" from it's installed location. Therefore the error message will be displayed if:

1. the \music directory is not located directly off the root directory.
2. the playlist creator program is not installed in the root directory.

Jerry

Old 10-14-2008, 06:15 PM

Default Sansa Fuze Playlists

Thank you everyone for all of the help trying to figure out the playlists on the Fuze. Needless to say I have been pulling my hair out. I finally found a solution. My player is in the MSC mode.
I created an M3U playlist in WMP 10 and copied it to the \music directory of the Fuze. Using notepad I edited the file and deleted a few things.
(Original M3U)
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,06 Back in Black.mp3
..\AC-DC\Back in Black\06 Back in Black.mp3

#EXTINF:0,03 Big Balls.mp3
..\AC-DC\Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap\03 Big Balls.mp3

#EXTINF:0,01 Amish Paradise.mp3
..\'Weird Al' Yankovic\Bad Hair Day\01 Amish Paradise.mp3

(Edited)
#EXTM3U
AC DC\Back in Black\06 Back in Black.mp3

AC DC\Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap\03 Big Balls.mp3

Weird Al Yankovic\Bad Hair Day\01 Amish Paradise.mp3

The #EXTINF line is okay but not required.
It seems as if the player will pick up and M3U from anywhere on the player(thanks to a previous post). I deleted the leading '..\' It seems as if the player assumes the '..\' . Also, the directories obviesly must match exactly.

I hope this helps some others. Now if only Sansa would fix this issue or create a work around we could truely enjoy or players from the start instead of ready to through it through a wall.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:27 PM

I was able to get playlists (m3u) to work on my Fuze in MSC mode with the following format:

#EXTM3U
MUSIC\Simon and Garfunkel\Sounds of Silence\Richard Cory.MP3
MUSIC\Simon and Garfunkel\Sounds of Silence\A Most Peculiar Man.MP3

Here's the thing: The m3u has to be in the root directory. If I put the m3u in the PLAYLIST directory (where you would think it would go) and replace MUSIC\ with ..\MUSIC\ so that the path is correctly relative, the playlist name appears, but is empty. WTH?

I recently upgraded my Fuze with fuze01.01.15a.zip.

Last edited by silverwoodchuck47; 10-18-2008 at 11:41 AM.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:40 AM

Playlists can't go in the PLAYLIST directory because the Fuze doesn't support using "..\". You have to either put it in the root or the music directory.
Sansa e260 Rockbox 4GB + 120 MB

Old 10-19-2008, 11:55 PM

I just put my playlists in the MUSIC directory with paths relative to that.

#EXTM3U
CollectiveSoul\Dosage\05_Slow.mp3
VariousArtists\PaintItBlue\10_Its_All_Over_Now_Bob by_Womack.mp3
Mike\WordOfMouth\07_Stop_Baby.mp3
IndigoGirls\Nomads\06_Keeper_Of_My_Heart.mp3

Also, for any Linux folks, playlists must be DOS style files with "\" path separators and CR/LF line endings.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:45 AM

Default Thanks and suggestions. And a link! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dahl View Post
I wrote a Sansa Fuze Playlist Creator. It runs in the root directory and creates .m3u format playlists based on the directory structure. You can download the program in the "Playlist Troubles" thread.

Let me know how it works for you and any feedback and comments.
Thanks,
Jerry Dahl

Sweet little program. I hate using WMP, etc, to sync and load music on my players. MSC mode rocks. Thank you for making it.

One suggestion that would make this a fantastic little utility. The ability to create playlists that span directories and the sd card would be wonderful.

For example, I have 3 Dave Matthews albums in subdirectories on the internal memory and two albums from John Mayer on the sd card. Your program is terrific for creating playlists for those albums only. Especially since it seems most of the time the mp3 ID tags are not written correctly making the play artist and play album selections virtually worthless. It fixes those problems.

But let's say I am not in the mood to listen to a complete album. I'd like to mix and match between all three DMB albums plus the John Mayer albums. I can't do that with your program, unfortunately. Unless I am doing something wrong and if I am please let me know.

I did find one program that can do that *except* it can't span storage locations. As long as everything in the playlist is on the internal memory, or the sd card, it works fine.

Check it out here: http://www.oddgravity.de/app-opc.php

That program almost gets to where I want to be. If I could combine yours, with that one plus the ability to span storage locations that would be awesome.

Oh and while I am dreaming, , the ability to update cross directory and storage location playlists automatically would be the icing on the cake. For example, let's say I had a playlist with tracks from all 5 of the albums listed above and i deleted one album. Clicking the update playlist button would cross check all the playlists and modify as needed to delete missing tracks from the playlists and I would be in heaven.

Thank You,
Michael

Old 01-14-2009, 06:18 PM

Thumb Up This Is it should Be

This Is it should Be:
.M3U file format

Example; "Perfect Way to Start"

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,Adema - The Way You Like It.mp3
MUSIC\Rock Folder\Adema - The Way You Like It.mp3

Example; "Bad Way to Start";
With out the (E:\)

#EXTM3U
E:\MUSIC\Rock Folder\Adema - The Way You Like It.mp3

(Yes with Space's in between each Columns from top to Bottom, don't ask what those 0, means cause i don't get myself e-ther. Yes the file have to be a .m3u format, yes i use WindowsMedia Player 11 and Notepadto to this.)

This is a Playlist Example or a root file, or dictionary,
Start form the list below:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,10 Years - Beautiful.mp3
MUSIC\Rock Folder\10 Years - Beautiful.mp3

MUSIC\Rock Folder\Adema - The Way You Like It.mp3

#EXTINF:0,Apocalyptica ft. Adam Gontier - I Don't Care.mp3
MUSIC\Rock Folder\Apocalyptica ft. Adam Gontier - I Don't Care.mp3

Old 05-09-2010, 04:27 PM

if you're using a text editor your .m3u files need to be ascii encoded

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U

i make mine in powershell as in:

$track.fullname | out-file -encoding ascii ("c:\playlists\playlist.m3u")

good luck!

Old 05-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjj View Post
Did you ever solve this?
Mixing songs between main memory and micro cards can apparently be done by YAPL. I have not tried it but member 'lestatar' has mentioned success with this.

Steve

Old 05-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjj View Post
Thanks. What's the trick I can use in my own M3Us?
Go to the YAPL thread and ask the author.