android
Old 04-18-2008, 10:57 PM

Default Waterproof Clip just might be possible

Well I'm sure there's a few who've found their Clip to be temporarily waterproof. Though many electronics that get wet can be dried and still work as long as you don't try to power it on while it's wet.

But I want something to swim with. I don't like the waterproof bag type cases as they are just bulky. H2O Audio makes a nice iPod Shuffle case, but buying an iPod is not happening. I did however buy a Shuffle Clone (4gb for $40..not too shabby) that works in MSC mode and doesn't sound half bad. But I caught a website, www.swimman.com, that actually waterproofs Shuffles so they can be used without a case. So after some emails they're going to try and waterproof my Shuffle clone. But I was thinking I'd much rather just use my 2gb Clip so I asked them if they'd take a look at it too. I picked it up for $35, so I told them if they damaged it, I wouldn't be heartbroken. So I just sent it off along with the clone.

I will report back when I get the word from them if it is possible. Just tired of seeing everything done for ipods. The Clip is a much better player on many counts, with full functionality and a screen being the key pluses. So if it could be waterproofed, it would be a big plus. I'd sell the clone and buy a 4gb one again.

I see two issues though. The inset plastic face and the usb port. We'lll see how they make out.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Fascinating, and I was just at the pool yesterday--keep us advised!

Old 04-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Very cool indeed, I’m next if it works! … /nick WaterMon \o_

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Redneck Moderator

I actually thought about trying to water proof mine myself. Maybe if they figure it out you should take some pics of it, I've got a few ideas on how to do it but don't know if I will. I'm interested though.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:28 PM

It won't look any different than a stock Clip. The waterproofing is done internally. The point is you won't need a waterproof case. They already waterproof iPod Shuffles. So all you need is a waterproof headset and you're good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I actually thought about trying to water proof mine myself. Maybe if they figure it out you should take some pics of it, I've got a few ideas on how to do it but don't know if I will. I'm interested though.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:12 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

waterproof bags arent that clumpy...at least not with a small player

Old 04-21-2008, 09:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Cool. Which model is this/where did you get it from?

Old 04-21-2008, 11:30 AM

a little smaller than I've seen, but I'd like something I can just clip on the back of my goggles and not worry about it. For swimming I wouldn't want that attached to my arm. Now if they could cut that bag in half and throw a clip on it, I'd give it a shot.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

One might think that there would be something like that already out there, given the size of the smallest Apple player.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This thread is giving me a flash back from 2006 http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...tachmentid=691 or http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...?t=5597&page=2 ... Or this one from 2007: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...?t=9340&page=2

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

there are always waterproof players....

Old 05-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not made for any player in particular, and fine for the Clip: the Lewis N. Clark WaterSeals Standard MP3 Waterproof Pouch, $18.99 + tax shipped (in the U.S.) from Buy.com (plus with $10 off if using Google Checkout). Great price, and a nice product especially at the price. Also available thru ebags.com but without free ship. (And actually, my buy.com purchase seems to have come from ebags in the end.)

http://www.buy.com/prod/lewis-n-clar...206462553.html

Essentially a heavier gauge blue-tinted plastic pouch, with 3 ziplocks to keep the pouch innards waterproof and a carrying/neck cord. Includes waterproof triple flange (soft) earbuds that are attached through the pouch. The sound is not as high quality as my $40 earbuds, but acceptable (and you always can attach other earbuds/headphones if you like, albeit not with waterproof protection--there is a headphone connector outside the pouch). All for under $20.

The Clip functions just fine through the pouch, for navigating. You can't, however, use the side controls through the pouch (although the volume control might be somewhat feasible, although not immediately easy). Be sure to get the large (standard) sized pouch--I think the smaller pouch would be too tight a fit (my Clip in a case fit fine enough into the standard pouch).

Now I can use the Clip in the Jacuzzi without fear of it falling into the water, or without fear of my earbuds getting ruined or falling into the water. I must say, I haven't had the courage, yet, to allow the pouch to go underwater, although it is rated down to 9 feet (I keep the player at the side of the pool, but without fear of it falling in)--something about an electrical appliance and water makes me a bit nervous to do that ... (If you don't hear from me here in the future, you'll know that I tried and that the pouch is not truly waterproof ...)

Recommended.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:55 AM

It's five times the size of the clip and made to fit a HD player. Hardly something I'm going to clip on to my goggles.

Haven't heard anything back from swimman yet. have to drop them an email.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Certainly not to attach to your goggles. But great for the others of us for casual beach/pool/rafting/etc. use, especially at under US$20 (or even $10) including waterproof earbuds.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:43 PM

well it's a no go on the waterproof clip. They'd have to deviate too much from how they waterproof the Shuffle, and they're just not prepared to devote that kind of time to doing it. Shame. Could've been sweet. And the bag ideas are great and all, but the point of the thread wasn't to show how to use the clip in the water, it was about making a waterproof Clip. Waterproof bags are all over the place and mentioned in other threads. I suppose they'd have to see enough interest from the outside to even venture down that road.

If I could rockbox a shuffle I'd probably buy one. The knockoff Shuffles I tried stunk. They played my music in the same exact order every time I turned on the player regardless of how I fed the player my music (no folders, in folders, changed names and so on). Was bummed.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. A new small waterproof player with earbuds recently was announced, I believe a Speedo.

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2008/06/28/...-floating-dap/

Old 07-12-2008, 01:12 AM

Well its seem the clip is well built at least. A few weeks ago i accidently dropped my clip in a cup of water when i was doing dishes.yes very very stupid movie on my part! i dried out as much water as i could and put it next to a fan facing down the whole nite and all of the next day. I plugged it in and formated it and it was working like new. im amazed that the player even worked again i was getting ready to call sansa but i didnt have to. So the clip is waterproof to a point. just thought i would bring that up.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:50 AM

I think I posted awhile ago about how I had the clip clipped to my watch and forgot it was there when I took a shower. I shook the heck out of it and put it on the stove above the pilot light overnight. No worries. Though I did mention about its temporary waterproof capabilities in the 1st post. I also mention I didn't want it in a bag, but it's looking like that will be the only option. I don't care for having a separate player for the water. Having a small gig player for working out and a big gig player for everything else is enough.