android
Old 04-18-2008, 03:00 PM

Default Replace or repair?

I have a somewhat ageing Zen Sleek (not the photo version) and it's starting to drive me insane. I love it when it works, but more often than not it's locking up.

I've tried formatting, installing updated firmware etc, but to no avail. It tends to happen the majority of the time when it's on random play all (usually less than 3 songs into it's random play), but it has been known to do it when it's just playing an album.

I'm not sure if it's a hard drive issue (which might explain the random play all lock ups) or if it's a battery issue (which might explain the sometimes completel nonsense the battery meter displays and the fact it says Low Battery when there was 2 bars just 5 seconds before).

If it is either of those, would it be worth my while getting a new battery and harddrive? Would I be able to up the hdd size? Would it be economically viable to do so? Or, more depressingly, is it neither the HDD or battery and something much more terminal?

Ideally, I would keep my existing player because there is nothing else on the market that I really want or like. I love my mp3 player because thats all it does and (when it's not locking up) it does it damn well.

The floor is yours, ladies and gentlemen. I await your verdict and my music listening future lies partly in your hands.

Neil

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, it may very well be the hard drive. It could have a lot of bad sectors on the hard drive itself, which in this case, you would need a new hard drive. You can always remove the hard drive and install it in an external USB enclosure. That way you can repartition/reformat if it is having problems in the Sleek.
<O</O

Take a look at this thread for instructions on how to take the Zen Sleek apart.<O</O

Zen FAQ

Old 04-20-2008, 11:47 AM

Hmm, I may well give that a try then. I'm guessing there's no way of doing a defrag while it's still in the player is there? I'm a lazy, lazy man and can't really be bothered to take the player apart, take the HDD out, stick it in a USB enclosure etc etc if theres a fair chance it's not going to work anyway!

Any other hints and tips welcome.

Cheers again.

Neil

Old 04-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't believe you can because it doesn't use a FAT type file system. Most likely the drive is going bad and to verify, you can take it out, put in enclosure, and try running tests or repartioning/reformating using Windows and a FAT*/NTFS file system. It is up to you and how much importance you place on trying to get the player to work. Doing the above work (which is just a few more steps), you can verify if it is bad and can then justify buying a replacement (which you will have to open it up anyway to do).

Zen FAQ

Old 04-29-2008, 02:09 PM

It unfortunately seems that the HDD is on its last legs as defragging it hasn't done much to help it. So....

What HDD do people reccomend? As this is instead of me buying a new player, I'm willing to spend more money than I would do normally. Is there a limit to the size of the HDD the player will accept or a limit on the number of tracks? Are there any other pitfalls of doing this?

Looks like I need to get a new battery too as it's not holding it's charge terribly well. Again, any reccomendations?

Thanks for the advice

Old 04-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Defragging won't help you much at all if the file system or partition is corrupt. If it were me, I wouldn't give up on the drive yet. Using the computer, I would delete the current partition, re-create a new partition (using a FAT type, not NTFS), format the new partition, put the drive back into the Zen, boot into Recovery Mode, and select the Format option from the Menu. If it continues to freeze up and have problems (or not successfully make it through any of the steps above), I would then look into replacing the drive.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-01-2008, 08:32 AM

Can't you just leave the drive in the Zen, copy whatever files are valid through sync onto the host computer, format the Zen drive from its own emergency screen and see if that fixes things? It looks to me as if the Zen is not the easiest play to open up. Kind of a bummer since the battery packs these things use have a pretty limited lifetime.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

portnoy: neila already mentioned in his first post that he has tried a reformat from the Zen. The battery the Zen uses can last 2-3 years at least.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-01-2008, 12:20 PM

Well, I think of that as limited lifetime. My Toshiba e335 is on its second battery pack and it was much easier to change out than the Zen, with just four screws to remove the back and a plug in pack. I tend to keep my toys for quite a long time, except for cell phones which I change out every couple years.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The battery in the Zen Sleek is considered a non-removable battery. So there will be a little more work involved if replacing than just a simple swap. All lithium-ion batteries have a lifespan of around 3 years (not counting defects and outside influences), no matter what the device.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-01-2008, 01:44 PM

I got my player around September 2005ish, so it would seem that the battery is definately on it's last legs in terms of lifespan. That and the fact it doesn't hold it's charge overly well!

Also tried deleting partitions and reformatting, the player still crashes frequently. Not had any error messages relating to the hard drive yet tho.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:46 PM

It's probabely just the battery. I have a 2005 player here as well (cowon X5) and the harddisk is still working.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:20 PM

Would a dying battery cause lock ups though? If so, well, thats some money saved!

Old 05-02-2008, 01:14 PM

I would think that at some point the voltage would start to drop and I would think that would make it a bit unstable. So my guess would be yes I think.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

In addition to replacing the battery...... check out the last sentence of post number 6 above.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-03-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
In addition to replacing the battery...... check out the last sentence of post number 6 above.
Absolutely, but I think replace the battery first in case that does fix things.

Speaking of which, what type of drive is that thing and can a larger drive be used? I used to think 20gigs was outrageously large, but am starting to rethink that.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Absolutely, but I think replace the battery first in case that does fix things.
You got it.

Quote:
Speaking of which, what type of drive is that thing and can a larger drive be used? I used to think 20gigs was outrageously large, but am starting to rethink that.
Check out this thread and this thread on replacing and upgrading the hard drive. Good luck!

Zen FAQ