android
Old 04-11-2008, 07:29 PM

Default P2 bluetooth with Skype on laptop

I just got a bluetooth dongle for my laptop from a special at BB (Kensington $19.99). I was fouling with it and finally got to use the P2 to couple with the laptop and use Skype to make calls. It works ok but while the audio communication is fine the microphone input from the P2 sounds very crappy.

Does anyone who use the Bluetooth P2 function with a cellphone or a computer succeed in getting a good sound both ways ?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-11-2008, 08:06 PM
Banned

I've tried it on my iMac. Works fine, although your internet connection has more to do with quality than the P2's bluetooth reception. Don't expect better than phone quality and you won't be disappointed.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:59 PM

no it's not my Internet connection. I use a hardline at 5Mbps, so Skype is fine with a regular headset. The P2 mike input got this strong humming noise coming from i don't know where. The reception is fine though.
But anyway, it seems to drain the P2 battery like crazy so it's not very useful. I was just curious how it works.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:50 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by armagedon View Post
no it's not my Internet connection. I use a hardline at 5Mbps, so Skype is fine with a regular headset. The P2 mike input got this strong humming noise coming from i don't know where. The reception is fine though.
But anyway, it seems to drain the P2 battery like crazy so it's not very useful. I was just curious how it works.
I use it with my LG phone.....no problems.....works quite good...dont use that often currently though.......Dont hear that humming noise your talking about.....

Old 04-11-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armagedon View Post
I just got a bluetooth dongle for my laptop from a special at BB (Kensington $19.99). I was fouling with it and finally got to use the P2 to couple with the laptop and use Skype to make calls. It works ok but while the audio communication is fine the microphone input from the P2 sounds very crappy.

Does anyone who use the Bluetooth P2 function with a cellphone or a computer succeed in getting a good sound both ways ?

Ummm.... Get closer to the mic on samsung p2 device for clarity. Ask who ever you callin' for feedback and then adjust distance.

Tryed it on a Sony Mini-Stereo, with receiving calls (AUX). Sounds great

Old 04-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Banned

Bluetooth may be getting interference from some other radio source. It works in the 2.4GHz range, same as wifi, microwave ovens, some wireless phones, etc.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DThinker View Post
Bluetooth may be getting interference form some other radio source. It works in the 2.4GHz range, same as wifi, microwave ovens, some wireless phones, etc.
I was about to say that :P

Old 04-12-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Bluetooth may be getting interference from some other radio source. It works in the 2.4GHz range, same as wifi, microwave ovens, some wireless phones, etc.
Yes was surprised that it use the same Wi-Fi frequencies. The large humming seems to be coming from an external source. I shutdown the wi-fi to check and the wless phones are not emitting when not in use (except Dect ones). Mind you there is a large cell tower near by... na that can't be it. May be the BT dongle software. I'll check the mic when Samsung release the voice recording function.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:06 PM

I have the same problem and suspect that it is microphone. I tried a friend's P2 with the same setup and it was much clearer. There was still a bit of a buzzing sound on it but on mine it's so bad as to be unusable.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:33 PM

Don't you find that strange that since the player came with a microphone, we still don't have voice recording ? It's not a complicated function and Samsung did it before. I own a player, T8, 2 generations before, and that thing came straight out of the box with it.
It seems the way it's design here, it's not a straight function. May be that's why, it's not working properly. There may be a difference between a cell phone pairing and a PC.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Samsung Moderator

I've come to the conclusion that the Bluewave has nothing to do with adding new features or perfecting a product and it's just a marketing scheme. They promise a bunch of new features in each release and actually include half of them. The've promised voice recording from the beginning, but it's coming on 4th Bluewave (which was never even announced) and it still doesn't exist.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:56 PM

you may be right sassafras however i don't feel i got cheated by Samsung when i bought the P2. I got a great price on it and the player does exactly what the box/manual says. It's just a bonus that we're getting FREE new features with new firmwares. I don't think you'll find that with others manufs beside bug fixes. So we shouldn't be to hard on Sammy as development's costs is very high and there is no need for it as it is right now.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Samsung Moderator

Development costs are really a drop in the bucket for them. They're a huge multi-national/multi-product company. Did you know they're making an oil tanker? A company that makes everything from TV's to oil tankers.... Really, I don't think they're too worried about the costs to develop some software for an mp3 player

Althought that's probably just me being bitter.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I've tried it on my iMac. Works fine, although your internet connection has more to do with quality than the P2's bluetooth reception. Don't expect better than phone quality and you won't be disappointed.
excuse me, please let me know how to configure skype with the p2. Thank you.

specs, latesy skype, os x 10.5.2, macbook late 06

Old 04-14-2008, 08:05 PM

my brand new spanking 16 gig ipod touch has gapless playback woot! anyone want to buy a 4 gig p2?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininegi View Post
excuse me, please let me know how to configure skype with the p2. Thank you.
You don't configure Skype with the P2. You configure the Mac to use the P2 via bluetooth. I used the mobile phone option to connect my P2 with my iMac. At that point both the mic on the P2 and the headphones work for 2-way communication. Skype then will use the P2's mic and the P2's headphones because they've become the Mac's default.

One note: You have to initiate a call with the P2 to open the line between it and the Mac. Don't enter a number, just open a connection with the Mac as though you're taking the cell phone off the hook.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kameko View Post
my brand new spanking 16 gig ipod touch has gapless playback woot! anyone want to buy a 4 gig p2?
so does my $19.95 Walmart RCA player. What relation does your post has to do with this thread ?

Old 04-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:

It all depends what's important. For me, gapless playback is extremely important but I read the Touch has one of the worse SQ of any DAP.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
But your Touch doesn't have bluetooth, FM radio, DNSe, FM recording, Cell phone syncing/pairing, Voice recording, An ebook (txt) reader, Bluetooth gameplay between devices, etc. Woot! Better keep that P2.

4D

Old 04-14-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Only if you're still using B or G. If you use A or N (And have it set to that specific mode only) then you are on the 5GHz range.

Also, even though they are in the same range, they have specific frequencies alloted only to them, so you would get high interference only if the frequencies are really close to each other. You can always switch WiFi channels until you find one which doesn't seem to interfere as much. 1 or 11 seem pretty good for that.