android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 04-08-2008, 07:57 PM

Default Problem connecting Zen: Driver gets Error Code 10

Okay, I've searched all the FAQ's and stuff about this and I have a really specific problem, well I think it is. I'll connect my Zen to the computer and it'll charge, great. However my computer will not connect usefully with the computer. It registers, installs drivers and such, but the Zen won't allow me to transfer anything, it just sits there charging.
So I go into Device Manager and find it there under Portable Media Devices: Creative Zen 4gb. Pop that open and it says theres an Error Code 10, The Device cannot start. If I reinstall the drivers, it will work for approximately 1 minute, then it will disconnect and charge. This is really annoying.
The weird thing is it still recognizes the removable disc option in the menus, in fact I've been using as a memory card reader for the past 2 weeks.
Now I would consider myself pretty knowledgeable around computers, or at least comfortable, and it bothers me very badly that I cannot fix this myself. So that is why I'm asking you abi forum, I'm appealing to a higher power here guys! Help me please!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It sounds like maybe a USB power issue. Are you using the USB cable that came with the Zen? Make sure you are plugging the Zen (being the only USB device plugged into the computer) into a USB port on the back of the computer (and they aren't USB 1.1 ports) and not into a port on the front of the case or hub where it may not be getting enough power to start the device correctly (using the USB cable that came with the Zen).

If you are using a USB port on the back of the computer, it could also be a USB driver issue. Before, you try what I mentioned below, try this:

1. Make sure you are running WinXP SP2.
2. Open Device Manager, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers, and uninstall everything listed.
3. Restart the computer and allow it to reload all the USB drivers and then restart again.
4. Continue restarting until everything under Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device Manager is loaded correctly again.
5. Plug in the Zen and check Device Manager again to see if the Zen drivers are still having issues. If so, then continue on with what I have listed below.

If it is still not working...... Do you have WMP11 installed? It could be a MTP issue. Do you have the creative software installed? If you do, uninstall it and try again. If that doesn't help, uninstall WMP11 and revert back to WMP10 and try again. If that doesn't help, reinstall WMP11 and.... try again. You may also want try it on another computer if you have one available to see if the same problem carries over.

Also take a look at the Zen FAQ (check my sig) under the Troubleshooting section particularly the WinXP part.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

In regards to receiving "The device cannot start (code 10)" within Device Manager, you can try this registry entry change to fix this problem:

1. Disconnect the Zen, if connected.

2. Run regedit (Click on the "Start" button and select "Run") and go to this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{EEC5AD98-8080-425f-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}

3. In the right hand panel, the key "(Default)" should say "Portable Devices".

4. Delete the Key “UpperFilters”.

5. Delete the Key “LowerFilters” (If present).

6. Reconnect the device.

This Registry change has been known to work on Windows XP SP2 only. I am not sure if it will work on other versions of Windows.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Check the Control Panel > Admin Tools> Services for a service called LibUSB-Win32 and disable it. This service has been confirmed at least twice to cause this error with the Zen's driver.

Zen FAQ

Old 04-26-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Check the Control Panel > Admin Tools> Services for a service called LibUSB-Win32 and disable it. This service has been confirmed at least twice to cause this error with the Zen's driver.
THANK YOU...i dont know how old this post is, but i had the exact same problem, i did what you said and it works PERFECTLY, and i just wanted to say thank you very much

Old 04-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem! Good to hear. Thank you for posting and giving feedback that it worked. Welcome to ABI!

Zen FAQ

Old 08-09-2008, 05:23 AM

Default Thanks

Quote:

THANKS BOBBYRS...this also fixed my problem... apparently after installing my Playstation3 controllers to my pc using LIBUSB-WIN32, my ZEN couldn't be recognized...so i just ended the process using the task manager....very easy!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Old 08-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodpool View Post
THANKS BOBBYRS...this also fixed my problem... apparently after installing my Playstation3 controllers to my pc using LIBUSB-WIN32, my ZEN couldn't be recognized...so i just ended the process using the task manager....very easy!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
Hello Bloodpool. Welcome to ABI.

No problem. Good to hear you have it working now.

Zen FAQ

Old 02-11-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
I had the exact same issue and couldn't think of what was wrong. I followed your suggestion, and uninstalled that usb software (I forgot I downloaded it to use my PS3 controller.) and it worked instantly!

I just wanted to say thank you. It's really appreciated (I wasn't about to go through Creative and have to PAY for tech support). Thank you, thank you!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissocial_Cynic View Post
I just wanted to say thank you. It's really appreciated (I wasn't about to go through Creative and have to PAY for tech support). Thank you, thank you!
No problem! Welcome aboard.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-20-2009, 08:13 PM

Just wanted to say thanks that was also my problem.