android
Old 04-07-2008, 03:41 PM

Default Why isn't Sony coming out with HD players?

I guess this applies to more companies than Sony, but how come Sony isn't coming out with more hard drive based mp3 players? Especially after how great the nw-hd5 was, you'd think they would build on that. And why did they stop production on the hd5 so quickly?
See, that's something apple doesn't do. Apple, when they make a good product, they market it well and build on their momentum. Sony came out with a player superior to the ipod in a couple of ways (sound quality, interface arguably) but they just ended it suddenly.
Also, as far as flash players, why don't they make one model and allow a slot for expandable memory cards? There's no need to make several different models of the same player (4GB, 8GB, 16GB). Just let whoever wants to add more memory if necessary. That's actually true for most flash players, not just Sony.

In general, why don't the other ipod competitors try to keep up in the hard drive department? I mean, apple came out with the 160GB model, you'd think the other companies would try to keep up with that, but there are still barely any in the 60-80 GB range, let alone 160GB. Furthermore, new HDD players come out still with max 30GB, which is stupid (like the Zune).

I mean, there are a zillion models of flash players, ranging from 2GB-32GB which is probably plenty for most users. However, I think a lot of people would love to have a non-apple HDD player with a comparable capacity. If Sony ever made a model similar to the HD5, I think it would be a hit, especially with their recent decision to ditch SonicStage.

Just wondering...I've been following this site for a long time, and I'm always waiting for a large capacity non-apple mp3 player. Preferably from Sony, not Creative.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-07-2008, 06:10 PM

sony has said that flash is the way for them and abandoned hdd players for now, ie mainly for the battery life, smaller size, and faster boot up. But they are short of capacity for sure, but that will change in the long run.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:55 PM

I see. So they've already decided on that. That's fine, as long as they keep making quality players.
But why don't they allow a slot for adding additional memory. I mean, they even have their own flash-memory format (Memory Stick)! So they can't be doing because it will take business away from them. Just allow Sony Memory stick slots in the mp3 players and there won't be a need for 4, 6, 8, 16 GB versions of each model, which is ridiculously silly.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:40 AM

I agree that adding a memory slot to the player would reduce the need for the high capacity storage that a hard drive would allow. It would also give you have ability to quickly load music on your player without having to connect it to a computer.

I agree with Ascariss on the subject of flash memory: I think that soon flash memory will approach the amount of storage that hard drives currently allow, and soon after that the cost of flash memory will drop to a point where it is fairly inexpensive.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:22 AM

Help NW HD5 any good

Hi I have the chance to get a nw hd5 pretty cheaply. Is it a good replacement for my failing ipod (I wont get another). Also I see people referring to the ending of Sonicstage - what will replace it?

regards

mark

Old 07-30-2008, 06:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdisbetter View Post
Furthermore, new HDD players come out still with max 30GB, which is stupid (like the Zune).
try 80gb. but although I do see you're point...HDD is the past, flash is the future, and although I have an 80gb Zune, I would have gladly bought a 80gb FLASH Zune if they made it. I would much rather companies put the full effort into pushing the limits of flash capacity rather than wasting time with more uninspired HDD offerings. They need to stop mailing it in with this 2, 4, 8...or 4,8,16 philosophy though...push 32gb and beyond and get it afforadable and they will finally be getting to a point where people with large collections can buy in

Old 08-02-2008, 04:57 AM

long term trend is harddrive is on the way out. and sony doesn't sell massive amounts of players, so its going to concentrate on the future i guess, because its still getting its arse kicked by apple right now.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:59 PM

One problem with HDD players is that they've got moving parts, which can fail over time and prone to skipping and shock, and flash memory is getting cheaper every day-so the latter is used instrad (more reliablea).

Old 08-02-2008, 09:09 PM

yea harddrive players tend to be a ticking time bomb, they just die.

even apples moving away, no harddrive touch or iphone. i'm' sure the customer support costs/hassle of the harddrive players makes them less profitable as well. flash players better suited to survive the harsh treatment most consumers give such devices.