android
Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 PM

Default The Clip's shuffle/random function

I don't know if everyone would agree with me on this, but the problem I have (not the only-- most everyone else covered anything else I could think of) with the Clip is when it is set to shuffle and you go back to a song it will not go to the previous song but "shuffle" to a completely different song.

In other words when you play a playlist preset the shuffle so it is in a random order but not randomize it every time forward or backward is pressed.

Hope that made sense.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-31-2008, 09:40 PM

The Clip's shuffle is completely random, that's why it can't go back to previous songs, and a song could get played more than once while other songs never get played. The shuffle feature needs to be redone so it actually generates a playlist stored in memory.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I believe that this is being worked on for the next firmware upgrade (coming in perhaps 2 weeks).

Old 04-01-2008, 12:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiC View Post
The Clip's shuffle is completely random, that's why it can't go back to previous songs, and a song could get played more than once while other songs never get played. The shuffle feature needs to be redone so it actually generates a playlist stored in memory.
I agree that this is sometimes a hassle, but haven't I seen comments about other MP3 players where people wanted this kind of shuffle???

Can't please everybody??

Steve

Old 04-01-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
I agree that this is sometimes a hassle, but haven't I seen comments about other MP3 players where people wanted this kind of shuffle???
Actually, just about all other players I've seen implement shuffle "correctly", i.e. a randomized playlist is generated when shuffle is enabled, then the player just plays from that playlist. So each song only plays once, and you can skip forward and backward.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

FRiC:

Yes I agree. But I thought I saw on some of the other forums people wanting the shuffle algorithm to be like it is on the Clip..a "TRUE" shuffle.

Can't please everyone, Steve

Old 04-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Banned

I don't know why you would want a "true" randon shuffle. Potentially the random number generator could pick the same song 3 or 4 or 5 times in a row. I've got that "feature" in a DVD player I use to play music out on my deck during a party. Very often it will repeat the same song, play a few more different songs, then repeat a song it just played. Very annoying.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

But a true random shuffle will not repeat songs very often.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
But a true random shuffle will not repeat songs very often.
Also depends a bit on how many choices there are.

Steve

Old 04-02-2008, 12:36 AM

What we need is two different shuffle options (off/on/random), plus a mind-reading option that automatically jumps to the song you're thinking about.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiC View Post
plus a mind-reading option that automatically jumps to the song you're thinking about.
YEAH...and one that ignores the one that I put on for my wife, or am tired of, or something.

Steve

Old 04-02-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionist79 View Post
I don't know if everyone would agree with me on this, but the problem I have (not the only-- most everyone else covered anything else I could think of) with the Clip is when it is set to shuffle and you go back to a song it will not go to the previous song but "shuffle" to a completely different song.

In other words when you play a playlist preset the shuffle so it is in a random order but not randomize it every time forward or backward is pressed.

Hope that made sense.
yeah, i noticed this also... i like the shuffle forward they have now (seems to work better than my previous sansa although it does sometimes repeat songs) but i really want it to play the same song backwards... sometimes you just want to hear a song again... not a deal breaker but nice to have...

Old 04-03-2008, 01:33 AM
Redneck Moderator

Yeah, I'm really unhappy with the random also, I'd prefer a shuffle, which means it randomly builds a shuffled playlist, and plays it. Versus random, which can(and has done to me) given me the same song 3 times out of 5.