android
  #1  
Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 PM
evolutionist79 evolutionist79 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
Default The Clip's shuffle/random function

I don't know if everyone would agree with me on this, but the problem I have (not the only-- most everyone else covered anything else I could think of) with the Clip is when it is set to shuffle and you go back to a song it will not go to the previous song but "shuffle" to a completely different song.

In other words when you play a playlist preset the shuffle so it is in a random order but not randomize it every time forward or backward is pressed.

Hope that made sense.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 03-31-2008, 09:40 PM
FRiC FRiC is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10
Default

The Clip's shuffle is completely random, that's why it can't go back to previous songs, and a song could get played more than once while other songs never get played. The shuffle feature needs to be redone so it actually generates a playlist stored in memory.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 04-01-2008, 12:31 AM
Mikerman Mikerman is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,519
Default

I believe that this is being worked on for the next firmware upgrade (coming in perhaps 2 weeks).
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 04-01-2008, 12:45 AM
FreeZ5's Avatar
FreeZ5 FreeZ5 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiC View Post
The Clip's shuffle is completely random, that's why it can't go back to previous songs, and a song could get played more than once while other songs never get played. The shuffle feature needs to be redone so it actually generates a playlist stored in memory.
I agree that this is sometimes a hassle, but haven't I seen comments about other MP3 players where people wanted this kind of shuffle???

Can't please everybody??

Steve
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 04-01-2008, 06:53 AM
FRiC FRiC is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
I agree that this is sometimes a hassle, but haven't I seen comments about other MP3 players where people wanted this kind of shuffle???
Actually, just about all other players I've seen implement shuffle "correctly", i.e. a randomized playlist is generated when shuffle is enabled, then the player just plays from that playlist. So each song only plays once, and you can skip forward and backward.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 04-01-2008, 11:59 AM
FreeZ5's Avatar
FreeZ5 FreeZ5 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,513
Default

FRiC:

Yes I agree. But I thought I saw on some of the other forums people wanting the shuffle algorithm to be like it is on the Clip..a "TRUE" shuffle.

Can't please everyone, Steve
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 04-01-2008, 12:07 PM
4DThinker 4DThinker is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 567
Default

I don't know why you would want a "true" randon shuffle. Potentially the random number generator could pick the same song 3 or 4 or 5 times in a row. I've got that "feature" in a DVD player I use to play music out on my deck during a party. Very often it will repeat the same song, play a few more different songs, then repeat a song it just played. Very annoying.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 04-01-2008, 12:23 PM
musichound musichound is offline
Off-Topic Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Staten Island, NYC
Posts: 2,062
Default

But a true random shuffle will not repeat songs very often.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 04-02-2008, 12:12 AM
FreeZ5's Avatar
FreeZ5 FreeZ5 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
But a true random shuffle will not repeat songs very often.
Also depends a bit on how many choices there are.

Steve
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 04-02-2008, 12:36 AM
FRiC FRiC is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10
Default

What we need is two different shuffle options (off/on/random), plus a mind-reading option that automatically jumps to the song you're thinking about.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 04-02-2008, 11:22 AM
FreeZ5's Avatar
FreeZ5 FreeZ5 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiC View Post
plus a mind-reading option that automatically jumps to the song you're thinking about.
YEAH...and one that ignores the one that I put on for my wife, or am tired of, or something.

Steve
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 04-02-2008, 07:29 PM
amra amra is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolutionist79 View Post
I don't know if everyone would agree with me on this, but the problem I have (not the only-- most everyone else covered anything else I could think of) with the Clip is when it is set to shuffle and you go back to a song it will not go to the previous song but "shuffle" to a completely different song.

In other words when you play a playlist preset the shuffle so it is in a random order but not randomize it every time forward or backward is pressed.

Hope that made sense.
yeah, i noticed this also... i like the shuffle forward they have now (seems to work better than my previous sansa although it does sometimes repeat songs) but i really want it to play the same song backwards... sometimes you just want to hear a song again... not a deal breaker but nice to have...
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 04-03-2008, 01:33 AM
Syndrome's Avatar
Syndrome Syndrome is offline
Redneck Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,278
Default

Yeah, I'm really unhappy with the random also, I'd prefer a shuffle, which means it randomly builds a shuffled playlist, and plays it. Versus random, which can(and has done to me) given me the same song 3 times out of 5.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:03 AM.