android
Old 03-31-2008, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
No, I understand perfectly. You want "glossy" (crap in direct light), you want eye candy in that you want "flashy" (i.e. "gimmicks"), yet you state that the P2 is "pleasing to the eye" yet you want it to be an adventure to "learn and use all the features" (read: "I need it to be cluttered and have features that are not easily found and used because that way it will be greater").

I know you're just giving an opinion, but really, you're asking to have a cumbersome UI all because you'd then have to spend more time getting to terms with it and spend more time using it. In essense, everything a UI shouldn't do. Everything clean industrial design and people working with UI are trying to simplify, you're thinking the opposite will be great. I guess you don't care about contents, and how a UI shouldn't get in the way of it. A good UI is transparent and intuitive.

Btw, if you really want to play with a cumbersome UI for a music player, you should try using a Sound Devices 722 (or 744 as it were) or even a Sonosax MiniR82 as one. Then you'll be all set for hours of mucking around in order to get to the contents.

(they're both great as what they're intended, but make piss poor music players).
+1, that kids just asking for too much.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-31-2008, 01:41 AM
Banned

How is asking for more icons making it cumbersome.
Tell me, what is easier, going to primepack and ten clicking dictionary or having the dictionary icon righ on the menu system?

What is wrong with icons having a nice shiny outlook.Its people like you who dont let things advance for the better.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jace_1-4lyfe View Post
How is asking for more icons making it cumbersome.
You already received an explanation. Read it.

Quote:
Tell me, what is easier, going to primepack and ten clicking dictionary or having the dictionary icon righ on the menu system?
The first one in daily usage. The reason being that if we take it to extremes, a flat interface will quickly develop what we in the industri call – excuse me for all the technical jargon - "clutter".

Quote:
What is wrong with icons having a nice shiny outlook.Its people like you who dont let things advance for the better.
Ah, yes. Because eye candy is really user friendly
So people like me who don't want the UI to be cumbersome and in the way stop progression? I see your point: We should love clutter, glossy screens, glossy candy and go "ooh" and "aah" because whenever something is glossy and colourful it _must_ be progression.
Sorry, but I worry about the contents and it should be as easy and intuitive as possible to get at it. I don't buy gadgets for the gadget's sake. I buy them if they deliver a solution to what I want and/or need.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:26 AM

leave it to jace_1-4lyfe to come up with some of the dumbest ideas to ever grace these forums.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:08 AM
Banned

xatly, wait wa?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jace_1-4lyfe View Post
xatly, wait wa?
Wa, wa wuaha!?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Wa, wa wuaha!?
whahah whua?!?HNAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 03-31-2008, 08:33 AM

hey jace,
i agree - i think... I would like to be able to say which icons are on the front screen, and what the icons look like. For instance, i dont ever use the FM radio or the pictures icon - i would happily get rid of them, or at least move them to a different screen.
Instead, I would like to see a "hits from the 80's" playlist icon and the "connect to my LG headset" icon on the front - i am sure others do not want to see these things, so let me customize - i dont thinks thats asking too much.
I think that the great thing about many popular systems is their openness and the fact they allow for people to experiment. Piper, I hear what you are saying about clutter, but i think it's important to let people mess up the GUI, if only to teach them about
good design.

Last edited by FazzOut; 03-31-2008 at 08:36 AM. Reason: just spelling

Old 03-31-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazzOut View Post
hey jace,
i agree - i think... I would like to be able to say which icons are on the front screen, and what the icons look like. For instance, i dont ever use the FM radio or the pictures icon - i would happily get rid of them, or at least move them to a different screen.
Instead, I would like to see a "hits from the 80's" playlist icon and the "connect to my LG headset" icon on the front - i am sure others do not want to see these things, so let me customize - i dont thinks thats asking too much.
I think that the great thing about many popular systems is their openness and the fact they allow for people to experiment. Piper, I hear what you are saying about clutter, but i think it's important to let people mess up the GUI, if only to teach them about
good design.
Good point, that last one.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:42 PM

Yes, it is important to let people mess up the GUI, if it makes them realize what a big mistake it is.

btw... check out jace... what happened there? lol

Old 03-31-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLuSionS View Post
Yes, it is important to let people mess up the GUI, if it makes them realize what a big mistake it is.

btw... check out jace... what happened there? lol
You know, I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you

Old 03-31-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
You know, I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you
dun dun dun... death is inevitable.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:41 PM

Lol, man do i love bickering

Personally I think the ability to customize your icons would be really cool, I do think their should be a limit of some sort, like just being able to either just swap some out or be able to have space reserved for say three shortcuts.

I also agree with the simplicity idea... recently sony made it possible to customize your psp icons, very fun to play with, yet sony's default theme imho still looks the best - very simple.

However, thats MY opinion - its because of opinions and ideas that technology evolves. Nobody's opinion should ever be criticized and ridiculed, no matter how bizarre it may seem to you.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:54 PM

I'm sure someone will make an iPod touch theme for the P2 as soon as the 4th wave is released. That ought to make our banned friend happy.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:59 PM

to me...this sounds like a lame demand from a little 5th grader. and i dont think samsung would ever put more icons for that reason.."friends dont think it has much functions". blah

Old 04-05-2008, 05:00 PM

yea ipod is too complicated considering numbers of icon and it looks messy..

Old 04-05-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
No, I understand perfectly. You want "glossy" (crap in direct light), you want eye candy in that you want "flashy" (i.e. "gimmicks"), yet you state that the P2 is "pleasing to the eye" yet you want it to be an adventure to "learn and use all the features" (read: "I need it to be cluttered and have features that are not easily found and used because that way it will be greater").

I know you're just giving an opinion, but really, you're asking to have a cumbersome UI all because you'd then have to spend more time getting to terms with it and spend more time using it. In essense, everything a UI shouldn't do. Everything clean industrial design and people working with UI are trying to simplify, you're thinking the opposite will be great. I guess you don't care about contents, and how a UI shouldn't get in the way of it. A good UI is transparent and intuitive.

Btw, if you really want to play with a cumbersome UI for a music player, you should try using a Sound Devices 722 (or 744 as it were) or even a Sonosax MiniR82 as one. Then you'll be all set for hours of mucking around in order to get to the contents.

(they're both great as what they're intended, but make piss poor music players).
i don't know if you saw it, but jace got banned a long time ago..lol

Old 04-05-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
i don't know if you saw it, but jace got banned a long time ago..lol
i don't know if you saw it, but the post you are replying to was posted a long time ago..lol
almost a week ago...
at least 12 hours before jace was banned.
I'm pretty sure that Piper is aware of the ban.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itt View Post
i don't know if you saw it, but the post you are replying to was posted a long time ago..lol
almost a week ago...
at least 12 hours before jace was banned.
I'm pretty sure that Piper is aware of the ban.

oops!! my bad.. neva saw that there was a 2nd pg...

Old 04-05-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
oops!! my bad.. neva saw that there was a 2nd pg...
johnboy, hope I didn't offend. Rereading my post, I realize it may have came across a little more snide, and a little less funny than it was intended.