android
Old 03-27-2008, 01:35 PM

Default Considering Rockbox

I've had my e270 since 4/06. The Sandisk f/w (using .15A) is ok but has disappointments. I've been reading about Rockbox from time to time and am now seriously considering it.

I have some questions:
  1. Is it easy to setup?
  2. Is it easy to reverse back to Sandisk f/w and have ALL orginal functionality (if needed)?
  3. Which Rockbox to use? Seems to be several.
  4. Any other info would be great. I'm very tech saavy but just haven't spent any time with Rockbox.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-27-2008, 01:49 PM

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. I'm using the official one.
4. You need to know that you will be totally lost the first time you are opening your Sansa.

Extended 1. For the setup, there's an online FAQ to how to install and all. And, also, there's an automatic setup available. It works very well.

Extended 2. You can even boot on it when rockbox is install. Only hold left and press power and it will load on the official firmware.

I hope the post was useful.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

1) Yes
2) Yes, since you still need to for charging and file transfer.
3) Are you talking about the builds? If so, I like the main Rockbox build.
4) MicroSDHC support is nice. You can look on www.rockbox.org for more info, too.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:59 PM

Thanks!
  1. Does the Rockbox have a nice GUI to use?
  2. What are some other real gains by using Rockbox?
  3. Do I understand correctly that I'm going to have to have Rockbox and Sandisk f/w loaded and that I need to use Sandisk's f/w to charge the Sansa and get music onto it or did I misunderstand advcomp2019 on #2?

Old 03-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBMongoos View Post
Thanks!
  1. Does the Rockbox have a nice GUI to use?
  2. What are some other real gains by using Rockbox?
  3. Do I understand correctly that I'm going to have to have Rockbox and Sandisk f/w loaded and that I need to use Sandisk's f/w to charge the Sansa and get music onto it or did I misunderstand advcomp2019 on #2?
1. The default GUI is kinda bleh. There's quite a few themes that can make it look rather nice though.
2. Both Rockbox and the OF are on the Sansa at the same time. You can switch between them by either plugging in the USB cable or by holding <<| when starting the Sansa.
3. Yes. Rockbox does not have USB support yet, and while it seems that it does charge the Sansa, the Rockbox devs say it doesn't. In any event, the OF needs to be used for both.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:45 PM

Hmm...maybe it makes sense to wait as it sounds like Rockbox isn't complete.

Does anyone have a recommended GUI that's really nice? Something comparable to what Sandisk has in looks but preferably nicer.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Rockbox Developer

chrisjs: Were you aware that Rockbox now has a completely different look, since we've adopted CabbieV2 as the default theme?

Old 03-27-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorean View Post
chrisjs: Were you aware that Rockbox now has a completely different look, since we've adopted CabbieV2 as the default theme?
Is this the route to go when trying Rockbox?

Old 03-27-2008, 06:10 PM

Rockbox is extremely simple to install. There is no reason not to install it, at least to try out. You can boot into the original firmware whenever you want (while still having Rockbox installed at the same time), and removing it is very simple as well. You should be able to install Rockbox in less than 2 minutes.

The Rockbox interface is essentially just a whole bunch of lists. You know in the OF, when you scroll through Artists, Songs etc? Rockbox is essentially that but with better looking fonts and customizable backgrounds

Themes don't really do much at all. They change the While Playing Screen quite a bit, but other than that, for the other menus they mostly only change the colour and font of the text, and add a nice background

To be honest, I find Rockbox's interface much better than the original firmware's. It's much more simple and clean to look at.

Regarding which build to use, all custom builds on this site are essentially the same. You can really choose anyone of the three. The question would be instead if you want to use the official Rockbox build or one of the custom ones here.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I thought I heard that a while back, but don't really remember. In any event, I wasn't aware that CabbieV2 was the new default theme - I had been referring to the plain theme that had been used since the beginning of the Sansa port.

Guess I need to update my Sansa

Old 03-27-2008, 09:16 PM

The theming option is pretty cool, I like all the options. Along with everything mentioned above, Rockbox allows you to view JPEG images downloaded straight from your camera or the Internet, no slow converter necessary. You can view MPEG1 and 2 videos on Rockbox, but you have to convert them. You can view txt files and it has a built-in Game Boy and Game Boy Color emulator built in, so if you have any ROMs you can play them. You can also play almost every sound file known to man, everything from MP3 to OGG, which I use. Great for supporting the open-source community. You can't play WMA due to copyright restrictions, though. But who actually uses that anyway? You can still record and listen to voice and FM radio. One of the main points of it for me are the plugins. They do everything from look pretty to edit text to play games like Doom (yes, the original Doom .wad files) and Tetris. Great if the PSP or DS is out of juice. They can also do useful things like be a calculator. There's a lot more info on the Rockbox website. I highly recommend it.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Rockbox Developer

You can play WMA just fine, just not DRM encrypted files (of any format). Please, please people: Stop giving advice without checking up in official documentation. "What some guy told me in these forums" is not at all dependable, nor is the content of random blog entries or even "researched" articles. I've seen articles in print magazines that get quite a lot wrong. But it doesn't help if you then go on to spread it more, and results in us getting silly feature requests for things Rockbox can already do, because someone told someone else that we couldn't.

Also MPEG1 and 2 videos only need conversion if they're larger than the screen size.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:53 PM

Sounds like the way to go may be to use CabbieV2 with the auto install and then any plugins I'm interested in.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:09 PM

Okay...I used the auto process. Bit of a hassle finding the player but once that connection took the rest seemed to be okay. Guess I should probably read through the whole manual as I'm not sure how to properly get the MP3s t load in RockBox. I believe I figured it out as at first I did not see any music but I must have pushed the button on the player twice as I now have two of every song.

Also, I'm noticing noice when when I move around the menu occasionally or between songs. Some crackling and occasionally hiss. I thought the Graphic EQ may be the easiest to use but the settings look different from the Sandisk EQ.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
You can play WMA just fine, just not DRM encrypted files (of any format). Please, please people: Stop giving advice without checking up in official documentation. "What some guy told me in these forums" is not at all dependable, nor is the content of random blog entries or even "researched" articles. I've seen articles in print magazines that get quite a lot wrong. But it doesn't help if you then go on to spread it more, and results in us getting silly feature requests for things Rockbox can already do, because someone told someone else that we couldn't.

Also MPEG1 and 2 videos only need conversion if they're larger than the screen size.
Should have done my research.... sorry.....

Old 04-10-2008, 04:16 PM

Hi SBMongoos,
Under the category "any other info" this thread might interest you. I was on the fence for a while too and when I finally jumped, I found there was a lot to like about Rockbox. Read more at:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=24730

FWIW, I'm running Kugel's stable build with a custom modified theme (ACOTIL with a Dalek. )

HTH,
hank

Old 05-06-2008, 03:11 PM

I went to the rockbox a while back and LOVE it. I don't care about videos, nor emulators (I have a PSP for that, why bother?) But still LOVE it because the sounds is SO much deeper and fuller. The bone rattling bass is heaven for me.

I have a question regarding this quote: "You can also play almost every sound file known to man..."

Does rockbox play .flac or .ape files? I recently got a few of those and thought I'd have to convert them to listen to them on my Sansa, not so?

Thanks in advance.

Crodley

Old 05-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crodley View Post
I went to the rockbox a while back and LOVE it. I don't care about videos, nor emulators (I have a PSP for that, why bother?) But still LOVE it because the sounds is SO much deeper and fuller. The bone rattling bass is heaven for me.

I have a question regarding this quote: "You can also play almost every sound file known to man..."

Does rockbox play .flac or .ape files? I recently got a few of those and thought I'd have to convert them to listen to them on my Sansa, not so?

Thanks in advance.

Crodley
FLAC is supported, and according to SoundCodecs on the Rockbox Wiki:
Quote:
Monkey's Audio 3.99 SDK. For further information look at the Monkey's Audio developer page. The Monkey's Audio license is claimed to be "open source compatible" (DanielStenberg: I fail to see how it is GPL compatible. It adds further restrictions and the GPL doesn't allow that.)

jmac, a java implementation of Monkey's Audio is also an option (under LGPL).

The codec is heavily x86-centric with lots of x86 assembly to speed up parts of the code - particularly a neural network. Unless it's very heavily optimized for 68K and PortalPlayer, it won't run real-time. And some compression modes (Extra high, Insane) probably won't run no matter how much you optimize it - RobertoAmorim
So while it is supported, the APE codec for Rockbox isn't completely optimized, so it won't play back in realtime on the Sansa.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Rockbox Developer

It's less that it isn't completely optimized and much more that it's naturally a VERY CPU intensive codec. Even as optimized as it can get, most or possibly even all files in that format will be unplayable on CPUs as slow as these.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the format information, quite helpful indeed.

Crodley