android
Old 03-26-2008, 02:37 PM

Default Question on wi-fi range

Iím thinking about buying the Archos 605 30-gig but Iím somewhat hesitant, for a couple of reasons. I mainly need a pmp for music and video but I want the ability to check e-mail or youtube while away from home. Iíve heard that the wi-fi isnít all that sensitive and wanted to know roughly what kind of range it has (I realize much of this depends on the strength of the router). Also is there any sort of timeline for a release of a 606 model, Iíve seen a ďprototypeĒ photo but I doubt itís from Archos.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-26-2008, 07:05 PM

You'll need to buy the web browser to do youtube, and email may not work depending on the service you use, for example GMail uses AJAX but you could always go to the gmail mobile site and access it that way.

regular timeline announcement around June and release around September

Old 03-29-2008, 10:44 AM

I understand that I need to buy the web browser but that's not my question. My question is, in general, how far away can you be from a router and still be able to pick up a wifi signal. I only ask because I read a review that stated the archos had trouble picking up signals that a laptop found easily.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:12 PM

I've never had a problem with my 605 picking up a wifi signal. I've owned mine for 5 months, and probably only a handful of times the 605 failed to connect, but then quickly connected when I retried. Maybe, like 4 or 5 times I think. I'll stand outside my house, and it still gets a signal, and my router isn't state of the art by any means.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:21 PM

Wifi range is not as sensative as other devices. Anything within about 100ft is fine, after that it's iffy. It is not nearly asgood as my wife's I Touch, but then I don't have to deal with that awful I Tunes like she does

Old 05-30-2008, 05:05 PM

Wifi seems to work fine for me. I can go anywhere in my apartment and still get a signal (and that's with the router on the floor). I'm pretty sure that I've done it from 100 feet away, but maybe not. In general, I would say that it stacks up there with my Palm TX.