android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 03-20-2008, 08:48 PM

Default Creative Zen 2 gb wont turn on or recognize by computer?

Hey, well my bro and I were transferring the new Lydia Cd to ours zens 2 gb and everything went ok for me but my bros zen was frozed up during the transferring so he unplugged the player (while it showed that something was still transfering even though nothing was transfering *it was frozen*). He reseted it with a pin and his zen turned off completely. I know when you reset your zen, it is suppose to like reboot but his zen just totally turned off. Now it wont turn on nor will it recognize on either of our computers (there is also no blue blinking light either). what is going on?? the player wasnt out of battery either.

We tried to reset it numerous time with a pin. we also held the play button while we tried to reset it. we also connected his zen to our computer and tried reseting it at the same time but still nothing. the zen wont turn on, wont recognize, wont charge, basically unresponsive!!

We only had our zens for like 2 months and his all of sudden dies out on him. anyone please help!! kinda bummed cuz I just got the greatest cd in the world and my bro cant even listen to it on his zen!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-20-2008, 08:59 PM

if all else fails, reinstall the firmware. i had the same problem, except mine turned on and went straight to a black screen after the 'creative' sign. hope this helps.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=23558

on the bottom, theres a little guide on how to do it. when i did it, my files and stuff stayed on the zen, but my settings, like the fm presets and background went to default.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:06 PM

thanks for the reply bro, but we already installed the firmware like 2 days ago. Secondly, the player isn't even turning on nor is it able to be detected by the computer (there isn't even the blue blinking light). so basically there is no way to go to recovery mode!! anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:16 PM

You're resetting it wrong. I had to do that the other day. I think you hold down the reset button (small paper clips work well) as well as the power button (like, hold it in the down position) until it turns on.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:26 PM

0m3g4Muff1n987. I have been trying that all day long lol! I hold the reset button with a pin and at the same time, i press down the power button but nothing is working... I am super bummed. Anyone have any more ideas???

Old 03-20-2008, 11:14 PM

so that means you tried using it? the hold the reset button, and play button, then turning it on?

Old 03-20-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnandy View Post
so that means you tried using it? the hold the reset button, and play button, then turning it on?
do you mean like put it to hold first then press reset while holding play and at the same play turn it on, if so then yes lol!

anymore ideas?

Old 03-21-2008, 10:56 AM

I stand corrected. If that doesn't work, take it back.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:35 AM

Sadly, it has already been about 50 days and frys electronics has only a 30-day warranty. My bro has contacted creative via email but all they do is send him "pre-made" replies that does not even address his problem.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:26 PM

I don't think any of you are doing your reset correctly.... here is the scoop from the owners manual:

Turn off your player.
Press and hold the 'play/pause'. button Continue to hold until you perform Steps 3 and 4.
If you accidentally release the button, start the procedure again.
Gently push the end of a thin object (like a pin or straightened paperclip) into the Reset hole.
Slide the On/Off/Lock switch towards the power button and hold until the display lights up. The Recovery Mode screen appears, and four menu items are shown: Clean Up, Format All, Reload Firmware and Reboot.
To clean up your player's memory, select Clean Up.
When the cleanup is complete, select Reboot. Your player restarts and starts rebuilding its music library.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:30 PM

just an update, even though it was pasted the store warranty. my bro was able to get store credit from frys electronics (with alittle complaining) so he basically just got another zen lol. His new zen seems to be working great.

thank you to anyone who responded to this question, I really appreciated all of you guys taking the time to help us out. later!

Lydia - best band in the world. www.myspace.com/lydia

Old 07-02-2008, 09:11 AM

Hi i have the 4gb Creative Zen, it is brand new, recieved on 26/06. Now, when it arrived it had about half battery charge, so i had a little look at the player and its fetures. Then charged it, at first, i think it wouldnt recognise, i had to restart and install things about 10 times. Eventually the battery went down and i charged it up on my sisters laptop, just plugged it in while the lptop was still on the welcome screen. It charged fine and was nearly full capacity, I plugged it into the computer then, and it recognized with zen media explorer and media monkey, and WMP etc. I charged it again after the battery went down, now, the battery ran right down yesterday and i have been trying to charge it ever since. It was plugged in when battery was slightly less than half, and as i thought it was charging, i left it. Only, when i took it out the battery bar was red, and flashed low battery. I tried switching it on and it flashed on for a millisecond then progressed to the low battery screen, i tried this process a few times with the same result, then after that it just would not switch on at all, i tried resetting, but battery failed too quickly. So i couldnt get very far. Now it wont turn on, the player seems hot, but no blue light, and no recognition from computer. Plus i charged it over night last night and still no response whatsoever. Please help, ive been trying to fix it for about 12 hours plus altogether. i had so much hope and now its fading for creative. I love it, it has worked before, i don't want to send it back!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well you can either connect it to the USB port again to let it charge (I have seen to where it can take up up to 24 hours for it to come back and charge correctly) or you can get a hold of Creative for warranty repair. How long have you had it? If it has been within 90 days, it is still under their parts and labor warranty and should probably send it in.

Returning your Zen to Creative for warranty service.
Creative Warranty Returns FAQ.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Helpisneeded: Let me make sure I have this right... Your player charged just fine on your sister's laptop, but does not seem to be charging properly on your computer - is this right?

Try charging it on your sister's laptop again, and see if it fully charges. As Bobby says, it can take an incredibly long time to charge a completely drained battery via USB, so be patient. If it charges correctly on your sister's laptop, but continues to show charging issues with your computer, then the problem is not with the Zen, but is with some hardware issue in your computer.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:54 PM

Hey thanks for the replies first and foremost!
Ok, so i'm onmy sisters laptop now and have no response from the player as of yet,(been plugged in for about 1/2 an hour) however i have went on the device manager and it is there under the 'human interface' section and when i unplug player it is not, so i think i have determined the player is recognised, i hear the noise when i plug it in also, as if it has connected if you understand. i have also installed the creative zen media explorer from disc and restarted laptop. It said before, in a pop up bubble that the hardware is ready to use, what should i do now? My sister doesnt let me on this alot either! is it going to work? should i wait? how long?
thanks in advance..

this has also appeared in 'My Computer'

Last edited by helpisneeded; 07-02-2008 at 03:04 PM.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm afraid the only answer I have right now is to be patient. The computer will not be able to recognize and properly enumerate your Zen until the battery has charged enough to allow the player to turn itself on. This can take a few hours.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
however i have went on the device manager and it is there under the 'human interface' section and when i unplug player it is not, so i think i have determined the player is recognised, i hear the noise when i plug it in also, as if it has connected if you understand. It said before in a pop up bubble that the hardware is ready to use,...
Odd..... it should be listed under the Portable Devices category. Are you plugging the Zen into a port on the back of the computer or somewhere else? What operating system and what version of Windows Media Player is on your sisters computer? It sort of sounds like it is on, but the screen isn't. I'm curious.... have you tried inserting a paper clip into the reset hole on the bottom of the Zen and then try turning it on?

Zen FAQ

Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Odd..... it should be listed under the Portable Devices category. Are you plugging the Zen into a port on the back of the computer or somewhere else? What operating system and what version of Windows Media Player is on your sisters computer? It sort of sounds like it is on, but the screen isn't. I'm curious.... have you tried inserting a paper clip into the reset hole on the bottom of the Zen and then try turning it on?
On my sisters laptop, O.S is windows vista, w.m.p is 11 . I have tried resetting but i just dont think there is any battery left, its completely drained or something, as it wont switch on. However i did reset whilst the player was connected to the laptop and it makes the connectiong noise like when a device or pen drive is plugged in, but as soon as i let go of the reset button it makes the disconnecting noise. Not plugged into back of PC, plugged into laptop usb intergrated into laptop.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
O.S is windows vista, w.m.p is 11
Ok, then when the Zen is able to power on, connect, and its driver installed, it will be listed under Portable Devices as Creative Zen.

Quote:
I have tried resetting but i just dont think there is any battery left, its completely drained or something, as it wont switch on. However i did reset whilst the player was connected to the laptop and it makes the connectiong noise like when a device or pen drive is plugged in, but as soon as i let go of the reset button it makes the disconnecting noise.
Ok, then back to what we mentioned before.... Leave it plugged in for a while; possible overnight or so.

Quote:
Not plugged into back of PC, plugged into laptop usb intergrated into laptop.
Ok, good. Just checking.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-02-2008, 03:33 PM

Thanks i'll give it a try and let you know, thank you for all help you're better than creative haha.